Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Nice example of painted trim

F=MA

Reactions
02.jpg

Ford-Explorer-ST-Hybrid-Forged-Series-HF-5-©-Vossen-Wheels-2020-1-1047x698.jpg

107245278_3258921150852303_8576698052671996765_n.jpg

20200902_102122.jpg

Last edited:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
1631099022235.png 1631099058116.png

I do like the look, do they put flex agent in the paint to help it stay on? My stock trim is peppered pretty good in front of the rear wheel opening @ 8000 miles. Those tires are in need of a little tire shine. LOL

Reactions
Hey Guys,

First time posting but I've been lurking around the forum since purchasing my Explorer ST a year and a bit ago. I've never been a fan of plastic trim on vehicles due to past experience with faded looking plastics. Finally got around to having all the trim painted to match and overall very happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

SassoSon

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
Hey Guys,

First time posting but I've been lurking around the forum since purchasing my Explorer ST a year and a bit ago. I've never been a fan of plastic trim on vehicles due to past experience with faded looking plastics. Finally got around to having all the trim painted to match and overall very happy with the way it turned out.
ya that looks awesome! May i ask what it ended up costing you? Would love to have this done to mine.

DaxST

Reactions
Hey Guys,

Looks great!
Yes, what was the cost? And where did you get it done?

Reactions
Does anyone know if you can wrap plastic trim?

Reactions
Does anyone know if you can wrap plastic trim?
I asked the same question and my local vinyl installer said it won’t stick properly on unpainted plastic.

Reactions
ya that looks awesome! May i ask what it ended up costing you? Would love to have this done to mine.
I had to do mine twice over, not to mention I ordered a new set of flares second time around. First time they were painted it really showed the wavyness in the panels. $2200 at a local shop in Richmond BC for the one time. Would not recommend it on a black car as it'll show imperfections. Also lots of disassembly required for bumpers.

Reactions
I asked the same question and my local vinyl installer said it won’t stick properly on unpainted plastic.
I called a few places and left some voice mails asking this and no one called back so this pretty much confirms it.

Reactions
I called a few places and left some voice mails asking this and no one called back so this pretty much confirms it.
He told me that even paint without some kind of adhesion promoter will barely stick to these trims so the vinyl will peel back in about a month along the edges.

Reactions
He told me that even paint without some kind of adhesion promoter will barely stick to these trims so the vinyl will peel back in about a month along the edges.
Shame because these pictures look sick and paying a couple thousand to paint and no guarantee that will last is a no go in my book. Also, I'm from Cincinnati originally. Gotta love all those potholes with those low profile tires.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Shame because these pictures look sick and paying a couple thousand to paint and no guarantee that will last is a no go in my book. Also, I'm from Cincinnati originally. Gotta love all those potholes with those low profile tires.
That's one of the reasons I punted the 305/35/22 for 295/40/22.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Great to hear from some Cincinnati guys,

Reactions
Hey Guys,

Looks fabulous!

RAS1

Reactions
Awesome car, I just want to do the wheel arches, dealer will not paint them for me. Any special prep to paint the plastic?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I'm definitely no expert. I'll looking into this in a few weeks once I get my Explorer. I read in one post that they sanded the trim pieces smooth since it's got texture. I wouldn't think the process would be any different from having a bumper painted. A reputable paint shop shouldn't have any trouble with the process.

Last edited: