Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New SYNC version is Available

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not that anyone cares but as a point of interest, those last 5 digits, as in the example 3.4.22200 stands for the build of 2022 on the 220th day. Interestingly there are 2 builds after the 22200, there are builds 22210 and 22220. Makes you wonder why there are 3 builds, in a 20-day period. I recently installed version 3.4.22210 in my F150.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Here's the settings display on my 2021 Platinum after a successful update.
I wonder what the System Updates: information refers to?

1666534776721.png

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Here's the settings display on my 2021 Platinum after a successful update.
I wonder what the System Updates: information refers to?

View attachment 14848
IDK.
Mine is Build: 21194_PRODUCT

System updates: B4:10:7B:1F:AE:1F

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My car still isn’t pulling an update either. I have it loaded on a usb drive but really don’t feel like sitting there with my car running for 40 min.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
IDK.
Mine is Build: 21194_PRODUCT

System updates: B4:10:7B:1F:AE:1F
I can guess what they signify, but they are hexadecimal values; a base 16 number system rather than a base 10 (decimal) system you're used to seeing. In "Hex", each two character pair represents an 8-bit integer from 0-255. Each character represents a "nibble"- a 4-bit value from 0-15, or 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F. Where A=10 and F=15. You can compute the value of B4 as 11*16+4=180. 10 would be 1*16+0=16. 1F would be 1*16+15=31. Etc. These might be checksums to assure the right code was downloaded for 6 updates.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I should probably add an answer as to "what the f... is a checksum?". If you're overwriting memory, a checksum is a number that helps to verify the correct information was written to memory. The simplest algorithm to use is to add up all the bytes (2 character hex values) that were written. Then we perform modulo integer division by 256 (hex is 00-FF which equals 256 unique decimal values). The remainder will be a number between 0 and 255 decimal or 00-FF in hex. Which simply means that if we expect a certain checksum and it's off, we only have a chance of 1-256 of being wrong. So a checksum is a mathematical verification that the memory was overwritten correctly. It also serves as a "signature"- so a tech could verify that all the updates for a given module are present.

Last edited:

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I just downloaded it to a thumb drive and followed the instructions from online a and it only took about 18 min and it said it was complete and i could remove the thumb drive. it did write the XML file to the drive that I then uploaded to ford through the website. It still says I have a SYNC update available but I confirmed in the car I have to new build number, I think it will just take time for Ford to update records after receiving my XML update file.
I will check again for map update after it updates and says I'm on the newest SYNC software because it says you have to be on the newest SYNC to do a map update.

Side question: Does anybody know what changed from the previous version? I have been searching the My Ford site and google trying to find a change long with no success.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
So I just downloaded it to a thumb drive and followed the instructions from online a and it only took about 18 min and it said it was complete and i could remove the thumb drive. it did write the XML file to the drive that I then uploaded to ford through the website. It still says I have a SYNC update available but I confirmed in the car I have to new build number, I think it will just take time for Ford to update records after receiving my XML update file.
I will check again for map update after it updates and says I'm on the newest SYNC software because it says you have to be on the newest SYNC to do a map update.

Side question: Does anybody know what changed from the previous version? I have been searching the My Ford site and google trying to find a change long with no success.
I've heard of several others with that same issue.It appears that Ford is having a problem with that. For me it worked right away.

As far as what is new, I've never seen Ford release any thing about that. And I haven't noticed a change so far.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum

I spoke with Omar at the In-Vehicle-Technology Team at Ford a few days ago regarding the Sync Update Verification step.
In my case the vehicle dashboard website is not recognizing that my vehicle was updated after I uploaded the XML file.

According to Omar there is a known issue with the Ford website accepting the verification upload file. They expect the issue to be resolved in a month. He was able to verify the update was successfully applied to my vehicle.

So it's a know issue at Ford. To coin a phrase, "What we got here is..... failure to communicate"

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I spoke with Omar at the In-Vehicle-Technology Team at Ford a few days ago regarding the Sync Update Verification step.
In my case the vehicle dashboard website is not recognizing that my vehicle was updated after I uploaded the XML file.

According to Omar there is a known issue with the Ford website accepting the verification upload file. They expect the issue to be resolved in a month. He was able to verify the update was successfully applied to my vehicle.

So it's a know issue at Ford. To coin a phrase, "What we got here is..... failure to communicate"
So I wonder if I need to try again next month or something.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So I wonder if I need to try again next month or something.
I have also had success updating the Ford servers with install confirmation by using the WiFi connection and hitting "Check For Updates"

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have also had success updating the Ford servers with install confirmation by using the WiFi connection and hitting "Check For Updates"
I did that yesterday and it still shows i have a Sync update available for mine. Im gonna try to upload the XML file again and if that doesn't work i'm going to stop worrying about it.

Reactions
I just had a new SYNC unit installed and it won't connect to my home network (probably because I have a WiFi6 system). Does anyone know if the SYNC system will connect to that type of network and if not is it as easy as modifying my Eero to 2.4ghz in order to get it to connect?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Mine will apparently only connect to 2.4.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I just had a new SYNC unit installed and it won't connect to my home network (probably because I have a WiFi6 system). Does anyone know if the SYNC system will connect to that type of network and if not is it as easy as modifying my Eero to 2.4ghz in order to get it to connect?
Dont most routers give you the ability to broadcast your WiFi in 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz at the same time and the devices that can only use one or the other use the appropriate network.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
Dont most routers give you the ability to broadcast your WiFi in 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz at the same time and the devices that can only use one or the other use the appropriate network.
Mine works that way. Not familiar with 6G.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine also works like that but I too do not know anything about 6G. If I were guessing, I'd think they wouldn't backstep on a feature like that.

Reactions
So you can suspend the 5ghz for 10 minutes on Eero but it won't broadcast in 2.4 beyond that. The fix is I'm going to use my old Airport Express and create a new network called "Car WiFi that will exist only to broadcast to the car. That should solve the (extremely first world) problem.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I recently switched from Cox to Verizon 5g home internet and was having issues with some of my things connecting, including the ST, to the Verizon setup due to WIFI 6. I just plugged my old router into the Verizon box and problem solved.

Last edited: