Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST, brake pedal noise?

Reactions
Thought I'd join and chime in that I also have the brake pedal problem on our new Explorer ST. It was at the dealer today and they started with "its normal", then went with "it's the piston where it goes through the firewall, nothing we can do" to finally "its the electronic brake booster, we have some Lincolns that are making the same noise".

I guess it pays to finally talk to the service mechanic !

He's said he'll price a replacement for the booster and hopes that will fix the click and noise from the pedal (note: I'm not going to pay for it, I still maintained with them that it's a Ford problem not my problem.)

Will update when I hear more.

Attachments

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
Thought I'd join and chime in that I also have the brake pedal problem on our new Explorer ST. It was at the dealer today and they started with "its normal", then went with "it's the piston where it goes through the firewall, nothing we can do" to finally "its the electronic brake booster, we have some Lincolns that are making the same noise".

I guess it pays to finally talk to the service mechanic !

He's said he'll price a replacement for the booster and hopes that will fix the click and noise from the pedal (note: I'm not going to pay for it, I still maintained with them that it's a Ford problem not my problem.)

Will update when I hear more.
Yep! Thats the sound! To me the most annoying part is the feel of the click through the pedal and into my foot every time I brake. If you are successful in getting the problem fixed with a new booster, please provide your dealership name and perhaps a work order # with the group. Hopefully we can reference that info with our non-helpful dealers and they can implement the same fix. I looked up the cost of a new booster on the internet and I believe it is close to $800, I'm not paying that myself! :)

Reactions
Update from the Ford dealer, they told me it’s normal for the swoosh sound due to climate heat. We went and test drove 2 ST and both of them made the swoosh sound.
Guess I have to wait till winter to see if the whoosh sound still there.
Just picked mine up today with only 10 miles in it. It’s cold and I have the swooshing sound.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
Anyone successful yet in getting Ford to fix their brake pedal noises?

driver bob

Reactions
Oh great, now the dealer has "no record" of a brake module being ordered. I should have known better than to trust a phone call with the service manager.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I have a sound like this as well, though I’ve just decided it’s normal operation of this brake pedal. It’s not nearly as annoying as the hollow clunking I have from the front left corner of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver bob

Reactions
Well... update:

I'm getting a replacement solenoid/actuator installed today by Ford but it's been a round-about way to get here.
Our Explorer has been at the dealer for a month because the drivers door would not open and we refused to drive it for safety reasons. I had to involve Ford Canada directly because the dealer couldn't get the replacement door parts (they were eventually shipped from a West Coast dealer).
While it was there they also fixed a persistent rattle from the second row seats (arm rests were faulty) but still can't get the interior and exterior trim pieces that were damaged when we took delivery in September.

When they called yesterday to say the door was done I asked about the brake problem, they said "we'll call you right back". Twenty minutes later they told me they were going to do it today.

IDK if they just want to "make me happy" because I've told both them and Ford Canada that the Explorer quality has been a huge disappointment since we picked it up or if it's something else.
I'll find out tomorrow if:
1. The drivers door is fixed.
2. If the brake noise is fixed.
3. If the seats are fixed.

Trim parts... maybe they'll show up next year ;)

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #48
Well... update:

I'm getting a replacement solenoid/actuator installed today by Ford but it's been a round-about way to get here.
Our Explorer has been at the dealer for a month because the drivers door would not open and we refused to drive it for safety reasons. I had to involve Ford Canada directly because the dealer couldn't get the replacement door parts (they were eventually shipped from a West Coast dealer).
While it was there they also fixed a persistent rattle from the second row seats (arm rests were faulty) but still can't get the interior and exterior trim pieces that were damaged when we took delivery in September.

When they called yesterday to say the door was done I asked about the brake problem, they said "we'll call you right back". Twenty minutes later they told me they were going to do it today.

IDK if they just want to "make me happy" because I've told both them and Ford Canada that the Explorer quality has been a huge disappointment since we picked it up or if it's something else.
I'll find out tomorrow if:
1. The drivers door is fixed.
2. If the brake noise is fixed.
3. If the seats are fixed.

Trim parts... maybe they'll show up next year ;)
If this resolves the brake pedal noise, can you please provide the work order # or something from the service that was done? Would love to be able to provide this to my dealer to get the issue resolved (hopefully they could look up what was done to your vehicle to solve the issue).

Thank you and good luck!

driver bob

Reactions
This just in: "the actuator didnt arrive today, can we keep your Explorer another day?"

Me: "sure, I've only had this tiny little Ecosport for a month, whats another day or two.."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
This just in: "the actuator didnt arrive today, can we keep your Explorer another day?"

Me: "sure, I've only had this tiny little Ecosport for a month, whats another day or two.."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:eek:

Reactions
Update #2:

Another mechanic has looked at it and now they're pulling "it's a normal operation noise" again.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Update #2:

Another mechanic has looked at it and now they're pulling "it's a normal operation noise" again.
I don't know about normal but it is common. I've read about it a number of times, hear it mine and I heard it in the vehicle we drove at the ST Experience.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Is anyone on here still getting the clunk midway through the pedal travel or do most just have the whooshing noise?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I get the click, sounds like a rock hit your windshield. It's very obvious. Either I've gotten used to it or it isn't as frequent as it was when mine was new. Nah, I don't hear it as often as when I first got it. My wife never seems to hear it even if I say "did you hear that" just as it happened.

Reactions
Update #3: The ST is back, the brake hasn't been touched and until there's a recall or it gets worse the dealer can't (won't) do anything.

On the plus side: drivers door is working and the seat rattle seems to be gone.

sundog

Reactions
Any problem you bring into dealer if there are no codes, no recalls , no TSB they will check a couple other identical models on the lot and deem it normal if they react the same way.

webuxer

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer XLT
New member here.
My Explorer XTL 2021 just started to make this sound too. It was perfectly fine, no weird annoying noises in the cabin until today I heard it while pressing the brake pedal. Has anyone found a fix for this? I will be scheduling an appointment with the dealer. I really don't think this is normal. It's a brand new car, it shouldn't have these annoying noises.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #59
New member here.
My Explorer XTL 2021 just started to make this sound too. It was perfectly fine, no weird annoying noises in the cabin until today I heard it while pressing the brake pedal. Has anyone found a fix for this? I will be scheduling an appointment with the dealer. I really don't think this is normal. It's a brand new car, it shouldn't have these annoying noises.
As far as I have seen, no one has been successful in getting a dealer to fix the brake pedal noise. :(

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Bump. Experiencing this exact issue now on ‘23 ST. Did anyone here have any luck?