Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST, brake pedal noise?

Reactions
Hi, we just got our ST a couple weeks ago now and I've noticed that every time the brake pedal is pushed there is audible click sound and I can feel a click through the pedal. To me it sounds like the actuator that is in most cars that allows you to shift out of park and into drive when stopped. So it sounds and feels like that is triggering even while the car is in motion and in Drive. Anyone else have this issue? I've never experienced this in any other car...and it is a little annoying.

I suppose I'll ask the dealer about it, but just curious if it has been felt/heard by others.

Reactions
I have it too, it’s a particularly loud slurping/sucking sound when you release the pedal and an audible click that you can feel in the wheel. My dealer says “they all do it” which will be true until enough of us complain. A stint in traffic is quite industrial. Clickslurpclickslurp.

It really feels like my car was taken out of the factory a day or two before it was finished. I get it back today so I will see how it is. It goes to the body shop next week for panel gaps and paint and to straighten the badges. New car.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have it too, it’s a particularly loud slurping/sucking sound when you release the pedal and an audible click that you can feel in the wheel. My dealer says “they all do it” which will be true until enough of us complain. A stint in traffic is quite industrial. Clickslurpclickslurp.

It really feels like my car was taken out of the factory a day or two before it was finished. I get it back today so I will see how it is. It goes to the body shop next week for panel gaps and paint and to straighten the badges. New car.
Interesting! I don’t have the slurping sound, just the click. I’ll ask dealer, but sounds like it’s “as designed”.

Reactions
Good luck with it, let us know what they say?

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I haven't noticed this click, but would think it is related to the mechanism that allows the gear selector to only be moved out of Park when the brakes are applied. I have only noticed this click on my other vehicle when I have had to put it in Neutral when the engine was not running.

rmartin5

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Hi, we just got our ST a couple weeks ago now and I've noticed that every time the brake pedal is pushed there is audible click sound and I can feel a click through the pedal. To me it sounds like the actuator that is in most cars that allows you to shift out of park and into drive when stopped. So it sounds and feels like that is triggering even while the car is in motion and in Drive. Anyone else have this issue? I've never experienced this in any other car...and it is a little annoying.

I suppose I'll ask the dealer about it, but just curious if it has been felt/heard by others.
Yes! 2021 Ford Explorer ST, same here. You have effectively described what we are experiencing at 200+ miles now. The noise is annoying. I have purchased Fords every 3 years and I have never heard such a noise. It’s annoying.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Yes! 2021 Ford Explorer ST, same here. You have effectively described what we are experiencing at 200+ miles now. The noise is annoying. I have purchased Fords every 3 years and I have never heard such a noise. It’s annoying.
Ive opened a case with Corporate and the car is at the dealer right now about the brake pedal clicking and the brakes squealing. 2nd time I’ve had it in now, so far getting the same “it’s normal” BS. I’ll post here if I make any progress with them.

RLW

Reactions
I have 218 miles on mine and I experience none of that…YET!

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
When was your ST built? Looks like ours was built in mid-March 2021. Maybe there was a bad batch of brake pedals or some other component.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Just test drove a used 2020 ST on the lot with 9800 miles…no brake squeal and brake pedal was quiet as could be. Dealer is refusing to do anything with ours, even though they have a clear example on the lot of how it should be. Not happy.

Reactions
I have 10616 miles on mine since February no issues with the brakes just that annoying flex pipe rattle at start up.

demon19

Reactions

I have a 21 ST and my mileage is 2,400 and I am noticing the same brake pedal clicking noise. Going to take the car to the Ford dealer to see what they say or fix. Will post back the results.

Reactions
Mine was built in May '21 and I have the same clicking sound when I brake.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I have a 21 ST and my mileage is 2,400 and I am noticing the same brake pedal clicking noise. Going to take the car to the Ford dealer to see what they say or fix. Will post back the results.
Please keep us posted on what your dealer says/does. I'm still in a holding pattern...waiting for my case with Ford corporate to be escalated.

demon19

Reactions
Please keep us posted on what your dealer says/does. I'm still in a holding pattern...waiting for my case with Ford corporate to be escalated.
i was able to move my schedule appointment with the Ford dealer for tomorrow since now I have new bigger issue with the car. I’m getting loud metal grinding sound in the front when braking and turning the wheel.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Got the brake squeal on my 21’ at 10k mi only when breaking at slow speeds (drive throughs, long slow stop trailing a red light, parking lots, etc.). I brought it in for routine maintenance and they said pads are not even worn and said they greased the calipers just in case. Still hearing it intermittently, I’m not particularly worried but it is annoying and unbecoming of the level of pristine care I put into it.

Reactions
Same issue..2021 built in May. Im not worried about it but its definitely annoying.

AustinST

Reactions
Any correlation between standard, street pack or performance? No noise yet here but I’m only ~1k miles broken in.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
My brakes (brake pedal) make the whooshing sound others have described but zero pad/rotor noise with Street Pack brakes..

demon19

Reactions
Update from the Ford dealer, they told me it’s normal for the swoosh sound due to climate heat. We went and test drove 2 ST and both of them made the swoosh sound.
Guess I have to wait till winter to see if the whoosh sound still there.