Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST, brake pedal noise?

Reactions
I don't feel alone now....not only am I still having my headlight issues, I also have the brake whooshing sound every time I push and release the pedal. My dealer keeps saying it has something to do with electric brakes, but I am not buying that.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
I don't feel alone now....not only am I still having my headlight issues, I also have the brake whooshing sound every time I push and release the pedal. My dealer keeps saying it has something to do with electric brakes, but I am not buying that.
Yeah no kidding! Between the click/clunk and whoosh/squish sounds every time we brake…it’s the nosiest brake pedal I’ve ever heard in 30 years of driving. Not normal.

Reactions
I agree! Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. My 2019 Edge ST didn't make any noises like this.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
If anyone with similar brake pedal noise gets anywhere with a dealership on a fix, please post here!

10 Gauge

Reactions
Just bought my ST on Friday fresh off the delivery truck. First test drive. I have the “click” in my pedal that I can hear and feel every time I engage the pedal about 1/4 of the way down. Also if I let off the pedal quickly while the truck is off (from auto start/stop) it makes quite the racket as the pedal resets. All of that commotion is avoided if I let up just a little for the truck to fire back up and then release the pedal all the way after it starts. This is super annoying to have to do though. I am planning to take it to the dealer for inspection.

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
Just bought my ST on Friday fresh off the delivery truck. First test drive. I have the “click” in my pedal that I can hear and feel every time I engage the pedal about 1/4 of the way down. Also if I let off the pedal quickly while the truck is off (from auto start/stop) it makes quite the racket as the pedal resets. All of that commotion is avoided if I let up just a little for the truck to fire back up and then release the pedal all the way after it starts. This is super annoying to have to do though. I am planning to take it to the dealer for inspection.
Sounds just like what we are experiencing. Keep the forum updated on your progress! My efforts have basically failed. My next step is to try a different dealership, but just don't have the time right now to deal with all that. Hoping someone else here has more luck with their dealer! I have a feeling that just replacing the brake booster might resolve the issue, but my dealership won't even entertain the option...because they claim the noise is normal. Even though I drove another used ST on their lot that had a perfectly silent pedal.

10 Gauge

Reactions
Sounds just like what we are experiencing. Keep the forum updated on your progress! My efforts have basically failed. My next step is to try a different dealership, but just don't have the time right now to deal with all that. Hoping someone else here has more luck with their dealer! I have a feeling that just replacing the brake booster might resolve the issue, but my dealership won't even entertain the option...because they claim the noise is normal. Even though I drove another used ST on their lot that had a perfectly silent pedal.
I'm not sure when I am going to have the time yet to get it to the dealer for inspection but I will make sure to leave an update after they've had a chance to inspect it. P.S. I was born in Roseville, CA. Small world!

Roman

Reactions
I have the same issue - attached a clip with what I am hearing. Dealership says it is normal and according to Ford specs. Neighbors have the same car - down to the color and they don’t have that noise. Spoke to Ford customer service and they are throwing it back to the dealer that denies the issue.

Attachments

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
I have the same issue - attached a clip with what I am hearing. Dealership says it is normal and according to Ford specs. Neighbors have the same car - down to the color and they don’t have that noise. Spoke to Ford customer service and they are throwing it back to the dealer that denies the issue.
Mine is an even louder click that what I can hear in the video...its really annoying. I got the same song and dance from the dealer, "Its Normal". I too opened a case with customer service, but it got me no where. All they did was get another appointment for me with the same dealer and they ended up telling me the same thing...NORMAL. Really not happy about it. Customer Service also told me they have no way to escalate beyond the dealership, they have no ties to corporate and they are basically just a call center. She did say that the way to get corporate's attention is to open a case on Ford's BBB page and make the complaint there. That Corporate actually reads and responds to those. I might go that route.

Roman

Reactions
Mine is an even louder click that what I can hear in the video...its really annoying. I got the same song and dance from the dealer, "Its Normal". I too opened a case with customer service, but it got me no where. All they did was get another appointment for me with the same dealer and they ended up telling me the same thing...NORMAL. Really not happy about it. Customer Service also told me they have no way to escalate beyond the dealership, they have no ties to corporate and they are basically just a call center. She did say that the way to get corporate's attention is to open a case on Ford's BBB page and make the complaint there. That Corporate actually reads and responds to those. I might go that route.
It does sound louder in reality and it is especially annoying/embarrasing during stop-and-go with music off and passengers in the car. It started suddenly a week after purchase in July with an extreme loud scratching noise that wore off a bit over time. It is like something came loose.

10 Gauge

Reactions
Picking mine up from the dealer tonight, they also claim they couldn't hear or feel anything wrong with the break pedal *BS*. They said the same thing about my cold engine tick/knock, couldn't reproduce (even though it's not intermittent, it happens every time...).

Battousai

Reactions
Just to add to this thread, got my ST w/ street pack on Friday (3rd), noticed the brake 'click' on a road trip this weekend, its not as loud as the video posted, more a feel and slight click. I also have the scrapping/scratching sound, which seems like its coming from the brakes, mostly on the passenger side, going in to see the dealer about that later this week.

Reactions
Finding the dealers to be off many times either on purpose or due to completely not knowing how to resolve issues.
Case and point: I went to the dealership for a rattling noise coming from below the truck not knowing at the time that it was the flex pipes rattling.
I provided video and all the details of the noise to Ford while there. Tech comes out and tells me its the stroller in my trunk making the noise lol.
I said listen man are you out of your mind? I said lets go in the truck and listen carefully! After 10min of driving he realized....yep its the flex pipes.

Roman

Reactions
Any correlation between standard, street pack or performance? No noise yet here but I’m only ~1k miles broken in.
According to the dealer it is specific to the ST and Platinum as they have a different more compact design for brake, ABS and related systems

TXST

Reactions
Just joined the forum to search for solutions to the initial 'click' at the top of the brake travel that can be felt through the pedal. It's extremely annoying and was not noticeable initially. My car has 50 miles on it, I hope we can pinpoint the issue.

Reactions
Finding the dealers to be off many times either on purpose or due to completely not knowing how to resolve issues.
Case and point: I went to the dealership for a rattling noise coming from below the truck not knowing at the time that it was the flex pipes rattling.
I provided video and all the details of the noise to Ford while there. Tech comes out and tells me its the stroller in my trunk making the noise lol.
I said listen man are you out of your mind? I said lets go in the truck and listen carefully! After 10min of driving he realized....yep its the flex pipes.
How were you able to solve this issue? Did they fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
While I was at the dealership today getting some warranty work performed, I asked the service manager. I put it in gear and let off the brake. The metallic click is the release of pressure from brakes/stop assist. He showed me another with the same. Now I didn’t go into more questions to verify if it was street pack only, but not. Mine and the other was.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't have this problem with my 2020, but I also have disabled reverse brake assist. If you disable it, does it still make the 'click' noise?

TXST

Reactions
It seems to be an issue with the electric brake booster during startup. If you place firm pressure on the pedal and continue to hold it once the engine has started the issue presents itself. If you start the engine with light brake pressure and remove your foot once the engine starts, you will not have the clicking issue.

The "click" from a recent drive was maintained in the pedal even with the car off. Once I started it up again as described above, the click immediately went away.

I posit that this is some kind of a calibration issue on startup with the booster/pedal. My assumption is that the computer does not like the pedal being "out of position" (below fully up) and it causes issues when the pedal travels through this new "zero" during normal driving. Hopefully others see similar results!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It seems to be an issue with the electric brake booster during startup. If you place firm pressure on the pedal and continue to hold it once the engine has started the issue presents itself. If you start the engine with light brake pressure and remove your foot once the engine starts, you will not have the clicking issue.

The "click" from a recent drive was maintained in the pedal even with the car off. Once I started it up again as described above, the click immediately went away.

I posit that this is some kind of a calibration issue on startup with the booster/pedal. My assumption is that the computer does not like the pedal being "out of position" (below fully up) and it causes issues when the pedal travels through this new "zero" during normal driving. Hopefully others see similar results!
That's a very interesting observation about the vehicle perhaps you are right. However, I did try this and it didn't have any effect. I still have no 'click' when I use the brakes.