Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Pirelli tire

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #21
Living in MN, these tires seem like an excellent fit. It's just too bad there aren't more sizes available for the stock 21's.
I put them on my 21”’s. Same size as factory tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I put them on my 21”’s. Same size as factory tire.

Yeah I've been looking to go bigger, either 285's or 295's so I may just have to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus instead.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Yeah I've been looking to go bigger, either 285's or 295's so I may just have to go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus instead.
I've never used them but I've always heard really good things about them

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #24
Bigger won’t be better for a 3 season tire. Only if you are going to run a summer tire. Winter tires should always be narrower in general, to cut through snow. Fatter tires are not a good idea for winter traction.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Bigger won’t be better for a 3 season tire. Only if you are going to run a summer tire. Winter tires should always be narrower in general, to cut through snow. Fatter tires are not a good idea for winter traction.

Yup I know, it's just that I don't drive the ST much in the winter. I drive my beater so I'd rather have some nice meaty tires on my ST for the Spring/Summer time.

Reactions
Ended up having my local Sam’s order them for me since they are $40 cheaper each than Tire Rack until the end of January. Even though my OE Scorpions are at 5/32” at 30,000 miles and haven’t been terrible through the last couple winters, figured now was as good a time as any for some new tread. Am confident these are going to be a great tire.

624C794E-EF38-4872-B9E3-9D97465B00B4.jpeg

DocBach

U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0, 2021 Explorer ST
The tread pattern looks a lot like the Michelin Cross Climate.
my thoughts when I first saw it, my ex girlfriend had the cross climates on her cx5 and they worked great.

I’d love to try them but just got scorpion AS plus 3s put on at discount tire for $400 after all the discounts and them buying my new tires…. guess I’ll try these new ones after 70000 miles or so

Reactions
They also look similar to the now-discontinued Eagle Assurance Tripletred, and Hankook Kinergy 4S2. None of them, including the Michelin’s are available in the 21” size for the ST. As much as I wanted to wait until next fall for new tires, looking forward to giving these new ones a go.

Fink

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yes, yesterday. Only about 40 miles on them, but they good, responsive, seem firm even though they are a 3 season tire. It’s cold here today in the 30’s so fit cold weather they are good. We are supposed to get rain soon and some snow next week which will be the real test. A hot day would be the final test but that’s not happening anytime soon. They feel good cornering especially compared to a snow tire which I have in my bmw X3.

All and all, I would say this was a great purchase if you live in a area with true seasons. Obviously if you live in Texas or Florida this would make zero sense. And from what Pirelli says if you get mountains of snow a year then this also wouldn’t be the best choice. They still recommend the snow tire for heavy snows.

Thanks so much for posting about these! I've got them in my cart on Sam's but the very few reviews have me a bit concerned. I'm looking to replace the factory Pirellis with these so I can have an All-Season with some sort of snow rating.

Keep us posted and if you can go find some snow, that'd be great! Thanks again!

Reactions
Thanks so much for posting about these! I've got them in my cart on Sam's but the very few reviews have me a bit concerned. I'm looking to replace the factory Pirellis with these so I can have an All-Season with some sort of snow rating.

Keep us posted and if you can go find some snow, that'd be great! Thanks again!
They are so new that reviews will take a while (although there may be a couple on TireRack already). Don’t see how you can go wrong with this tire, especially if you can avoid the snow-tire hassle.

Fink

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
They are so new that reviews will take a while (although there may be a couple on TireRack already). Don’t see how you can go wrong with this tire, especially if you can avoid the snow-tire hassle.
Oh for sure. It's not the lack of reviews itself, it's being the guinea pig. That apparently doesn't bother me too much since I just got my set of WeatherActives installed yesterday at Discount Tire. The whole Tire Rack <> Discount Tire relationship is so killer and Sam's was going to be delayed on getting them.

First snow for our area hits tomorrow so I should have some feedback and maybe a review or three to post up on the various sites.

Thanks!

Reactions
Mine came in - perfect timing after a week of snow followed by rain and 50° weather. Tentatively scheduled to have them installed later in January.

7915E20B-74F3-45EF-9385-77A8E95634F7.jpeg

Fink

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Mine came in - perfect timing after a week of snow followed by rain and 50° weather. Tentatively scheduled to have them installed later in January.

View attachment 15841
I had ordered mine from Sam's but they said it was going to be two weeks so I ended up just biting the bullet and having Tire Rack ship them to Discount Tire. Got them installed last week and was able to immediately test them in some light snow and ice. They did fantastic! Yesterday we had some rain and they performed well there, too. I don't notice much difference on dry pavement but I also haven't put more than 150 miles on them.

So far, so great! I look forward to hearing how yours do for you.

PS - If anybody is in the Northwest Arkansas area, my set just arrived today at the Sam's Club in Fayetteville. Happy to go in and have them cancel my order so somebody else can get them right away. Otherewise, they said it will just sit for 30 days until the system automatically cancels it which I think is weird.

Attachments

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #34
Update, with month on mine and today it’s finally a warm 60 degrees. I will say they are a little sloppy with warmer weather. Going to try adding some psi and see how they feel.

Reactions
I sent an e-mail to Pirelli specifically asking about the warm(er) weather traction, and whether it was sacrificed at all for the better cold/snow grip. With a treadwear of 700 compared to the Zero’s 500 rating (both are ‘A’ traction for what it’s worth), I’m hoping they’ll still have a solid summer grip as they have touted in the literature and video’s so far. Here was the reply I received:

Thank you for reaching out. Our new Scorpion WeatherActive should be a very good choice for your Explorer ST. Our testing shows this product to perform very well in both cold and warm conditions and it should provide much better winter traction that the original equipment Scorpion Zero All Season for this vehicle. If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #36
They still grip very well, just feel a little more sidewall roll in them. However it could be that they are still so new that they haven’t really broken all the way in yet. A lot of times all seasons or 3 season tires aren’t their best before they have several thousand miles on them and a bunch of heat cycles.

Reactions
Had mine installed today, although I was tempted to just store them in my garage until later in the year since I still had about 5/32” of tread on my OE Scorpions. Even though the MI winter has been mild - so far - just decided to get these mounted to avoid the hassle of hauling tires back to Sam’s.

Anyway, genuinely pleased with them. Did a bunch of hard accelerations from a stop and took some turns/curves at higher speeds and they stuck to the road very well, even on this 37° day. I’m sure they’ll be fantastic on wet roads and will do very well in the snow (big proponent of directional tires for snow grip). I’ll give them a thumbs-up so far if it helps anyone who is pondering this model. The deal at Sam’s club until the end of the month can’t be beat either.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST High Perf Package
Great thread - thanks for this! Will definitely look into these when my factory Pirelli's are done. Switching back and forth to snows gets old fast. Especially when there isn't much snow...

Reactions
Just order these myself as well. Am in SoCal, so mainly dry roads but do go up the mountains from time to time in the cold/snow weather.

Had no issues with the original Scorpions aside from road noise and recent vibrations but they're almost done, going almost 40k with them, so pretty happy overall. Hopefully these outperform them in every category.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have about 1500 miles on mine and love them! Firm ride, great traction, and gets around far better in light snow than the OE tires.