Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New hpfp and injector option!

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Tagging along with yesterday's post here are some more numbers to consider. This is Mathew Lloyd Tyler's ST bone stock vs and e85 tune with the new HPFP! 513 awhp and 551 ft-lbs! tuned on 93 it made 410, on the same dyno on the same day. That's right 100 hp over the best we could on 93 e10. I do recommend doing the intercooler along with this as well. H086-1182-1 Ford Explorer High Pressure Fuel Pump Kit.png stock vs 93 vs e85.png stock vs e85.png

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's interesting. The claims of 654hp out of the new Ferrari 3.0L V6 and 700hp out of the new Aston 3.0L V6 seem not real-life numbers then? Or do you think those mnfgs are doing some other trickery to get those figures?
I didn't say it was impossible, just extremely difficult. I googled both of those engines, and didn't see hp numbers out of the Aston, but did see the 654 from the Ferrari. As far as trickery, they do have 8000+ redlines and dry sumps, and likely (didn't find info) heavily head-based cooling probably with sophisticated oil pump control and possibly electric water pumps. Not something you see in non-exotic under $200k cars. I couldn't find any info on those engines as regards octane requirements. The engine is just a giant air pump, so if you extend the rev range, you pump more air, allow for larger turbos, etc, so you can extract more HP.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
PT you that you are referring to does not have any clutches in it even in the transverse platforms. A ptu is nothing more than a gear box. The all-wheel-drive on those platforms is controlled by the RDU or rear drive unit. That also doesn't have any clutches in it it uses a viscous coupler except in the case of the Ford Focus RS and a handful of other things.

So far no one has broken the transfer case in these.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Are you saying that the ST has a viscous coupling in the transfer case? I think you are wrong.

Reactions
Yes it must be the same bosch core as the raptor. Have not see it dip at all yet.

That really good to know, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Tagging along with yesterday's post here are some more numbers to consider. This is Mathew Lloyd Tyler's ST bone stock vs and e85 tune with the new HPFP! 513 awhp and 551 ft-lbs! tuned on 93 it made 410, on the same dyno on the same day. That's right 100 hp over the best we could on 93 e10. I do recommend doing the intercooler along with this as well. View attachment 8279 View attachment 8280 View attachment 8281
Hey Adam, this kit isn’t listed on the nostrum site. Are you marketing the hpfp kit?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
PT you that you are referring to does not have any clutches in it even in the transverse platforms. A ptu is nothing more than a gear box. The all-wheel-drive on those platforms is controlled by the RDU or rear drive unit. That also doesn't have any clutches in it it uses a viscous coupler except in the case of the Ford Focus RS and a handful of other things.

So far no one has broken the transfer case in these.

From the 2020 Explorer Service Manual:

Transfer case

The Transfer Case is a gearbox that attaches to the output shaft of the transmission through a splined input at the transfer case. Torque from the transmission is transferred to the rear driveshaft through the transfer case mainshaft. When torque to the front driveshaft is required it is transferred through a multi plate wet clutch and chain drive arrangement to the front output shaft of the transfer case.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
From the 2020 Explorer Service Manual:

Transfer case

The Transfer Case is a gearbox that attaches to the output shaft of the transmission through a splined input at the transfer case. Torque from the transmission is transferred to the rear driveshaft through the transfer case mainshaft. When torque to the front driveshaft is required it is transferred through a multi plate wet clutch and chain drive arrangement to the front output shaft of the transfer case.
Read that statement, he is talking about transversely mounted platforms like the 2019 explorer, that have a PTU (power take off unit) and a RDU rear drive unit. The rdu has a viscous coupler in those. With the exception of the focus rs and mkz with drivers package those have a clutch type rdu. The ptu never has clutches in it.

I'm drawing a clear line between that and what the explorer st is.

The 2020 explorer has a longitudinal driveline with a transfer case. Yes it has a wet clutch, but the wet clutch is what transfers power to the front not the back like the above. This rwd orientated awd not fwd like before. So the clutch is much less important in transfer case. The power going to rear wheels is direct and doesn't go through clutches or viscous coupling. With the amount of weight transfer on these very very little power is actually getting put down by the front wheels on a launch, and after you get rolling ford backs off the clutches and how much power it's trying to send up front.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the clarification. It seemed like you were suggesting the current platform used a viscous connection to drive the front differential. I see now the poster was confused between the older transverse platform and the current non-transverse platform.

Reactions
With all the potential for this new power, what seems to be the magic number where the flywheel starts to let go? You are a true artist in your field Adam. I cannot wait to come to you for a tune.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
With all the potential for this new power, what seems to be the magic number where the flywheel starts to let go? You are a true artist in your field Adam. I cannot wait to come to you for a tune.
Remember at 657 awhp we are talking almost double the stock dyno numbers (341). You can't expect the same longevity. 600 hp seems to be a good place to be, time will tell. It also doesn't have to be on kill all the time, we have a crazy amount of control over the computer.

Reactions
Remember at 657 awhp we are talking almost double the stock dyno numbers (341). You can't expect the same longevity. 600 hp seems to be a good place to be, time will tell. It also doesn't have to be on kill all the time, we have a crazy amount of control over the computer.

Thank you so much Adam. I have to keep my Explorer as stock as possible for the time being because I've been letting aFe use it as a test bed and they need it stock. When the time comes, I will be happy with about 500 to the wheels. Hopefully that will help with the longevity as well.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
Are they running their carb emmisons test on it? If so do you have a contact?

Reactions
Read that statement, he is talking about transversely mounted platforms like the 2019 explorer, that have a PTU (power take off unit) and a RDU rear drive unit. The rdu has a viscous coupler in those. With the exception of the focus rs and mkz with drivers package those have a clutch type rdu. The ptu never has clutches in it.

I'm drawing a clear line between that and what the explorer st is.

The 2020 explorer has a longitudinal driveline with a transfer case. Yes it has a wet clutch, but the wet clutch is what transfers power to the front not the back like the above. This rwd orientated awd not fwd like before. So the clutch is much less important in transfer case. The power going to rear wheels is direct and doesn't go through clutches or viscous coupling. With the amount of weight transfer on these very very little power is actually getting put down by the front wheels on a launch, and after you get rolling ford backs off the clutches and how much power it's trying to send up front.
Just to clarify,

I was not talking about transversely mounted platforms. I was not confusing older platforms(which I have zero experience or knowledge of) with the current platform.

I was referring to the PTU as a "power transfer unit"... You reference PTU as "power takeoff unit"... I would reference a "power takeoff unit" as a PTO.

And I wouldnt refer to a "wet clutch" as a "viscous coupling" either. A viscous coupling is used in a lot of AWD Jeeps and they use fluid and some kind of restrictive plate setup(no clutches though) to transfer power to the front drive shaft... They are generally garbage and I have never seen a true viscous coupling transfer case that could be computer controlled. Not sure anybody these days anymore uses a true viscous coupling transfer case.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
Just to clarify,

I was not talking about transversely mounted platforms. I was not confusing older platforms(which I have zero experience or knowledge of) with the current platform.

I was referring to the PTU as a "power transfer unit"... You reference PTU as "power takeoff unit"... I would reference a "power takeoff unit" as a PTO.

And I wouldnt refer to a "wet clutch" as a "viscous coupling" either. A viscous coupling is used in a lot of AWD Jeeps and they use fluid and some kind of restrictive plate setup(no clutches though) to transfer power to the front drive shaft... They are generally garbage and I have never seen a true viscous coupling transfer case that could be computer controlled. Not sure anybody these days anymore uses a true viscous coupling transfer case.
PTO stands for power take off

Either way these do not have a ptu they have a transfer case.

Reactions
Are they running their carb emmisons test on it? If so do you have a contact?

I will find out for you. I've been dealing with their intake and exhaust teams mostly and met with suspension and the guys who develop their intercoolers. I'll talk to the intake guy and find out for you.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey Adam! Do you think the HPFP upgrade is needed or recommended for E50 tune? My Raptor runs it fine on stock pump.

Reactions
Hey Adam! Do you think the HPFP upgrade is needed or recommended for E50 tune? My Raptor runs it fine on stock pump.
I've been running e50 on stock FP for over a month now, no issues. The HPFP is not "needed" for e50 with stock turbochargers. Could you benefit from it, sure because fuel delivery appears to be the bottleneck on this platform. If you are running larger turbos or e85 then you would need the HPFP.

F=MA

Reactions
I have been running the ZFG E50 tune for about a year with zero issues with the stock fuel pump. Up to now I have been mixing E85 with E30 93 octane 50:50 to get E50. I may have to get a test kit to baseline the E60 mix as I will be switching over soon to the ZFG E60 tune with the Nostrum HPFP and injectors, CR Performance Stage 5 turbos, Fenfab catted downpipes, Thermal exhaust and the AFE cai.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have been running the ZFG E50 tune for about a year with zero issues with the stock fuel pump. Up to now I have been mixing E85 with E30 93 octane 50:50 to get E50. I may have to get a test kit to baseline the E60 mix as I will be switching over soon to the ZFG E60 tune with the Nostrum HPFP and injectors, CR Performance Stage 5 turbos, Fenfab catted downpipes, Thermal exhaust and the AFE cai.
Sounds great F=MA! I have a set of the S5 CRP turbos, etc for my 3.5 Raptor, but the wife hails the grandkids in the Explorer, so it won’t be getting any hard parts unless really needed. I tightened up the handling with the Steeda rear bar so that’s about it.