Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New guy with the same old awd issues

OP
P

Paulie77

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
Thanks Cdubya! I have been fighting this for a year. I first swapped the half shaft speed sensor, i actually did it twice thinking maybe i got a bad sensor. Then i pulled the drivers seat and started tracing wires. Found a open ground, which if i recall goes to the sheath of the harness. It measured open from pin whatever on that connector to ground. Then i ran a new ground to the sheath. No luck with any of that. Then i happened across a youtube vid of this exact problem. So i started ordering parts. In the mean time i setup forscan and found the awd disconnect solenoid was fubar. So i was hopefull i was on the right track. The only thing i noticed was after all the updates the AWD is still there. And i think another one. All the rest were removed from the list after they completed. I ran them a second time but it said they were already up to date. No clue why those two stuck around. Not worrying about it at this point.

When we first got this thing we had the blue screen backup camera intermittently. There was a recall i think where they did an update i believe. A few days later the camera is back to blue screening.

I pulled the rear tailgate apart and cleaned the camera connector, put some silicone grease in the connector also thinking that maybe it was high resistance caused oxidation, i want to say there is another connector under the passenger side kick panel and i did the same. It worked ok for a bit but eventually it went blue again. I then went online (ebay) and bought a camera from a 2022 (i think) lincoln aviator. I put that in and cleaned all the connectors again. This was last year. No blue screen since i put in that camera.

I did get a letter that there was no fix from Ford and that they would let me know when there was a fix. I havent seen another ford letter since then, but no issues so far since i put in that other camera.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I did a few module updates today (BCM, BCMC, HVAC, IPMB). I think I encountered what @Paulie77 did logging on for the first time. It would not accept my email, password on the login screen. Tried a number of times and had to restart FDRS several times because it seemed to disconnect from the servers after a few tries. I tried for maybe 45 minutes, then for whatever reason, it went through. In any case, hoping the IPMB update will fix the rearview camera without a hardware replacement. I loathe going to the dealer.

OP
P

Paulie77

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #23
Cdubya, good luck with the updates. I can say that my camera hasnt blue screened since i put in the newer one even before the IPMB updates.

For me the hits keep coming. Now i have a P0456 error. Very small evap leak detected. Wife said it was rough starting after a fill up.

Been reading about purge valve being a potential issue or the gas filler neck.

I really dont want another car payment but i am really thinking about dumping this vehicle. Its a shame since my wife loves it. My wallet on the other hand does not. Haha.

Explorer ST Posts