Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New aFe strut tower brace

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
And let's not forget, it makes changing the oil filter a snap.
Haha, the space the Steeda brace allows underhood is definitely a top reason to get it. I understand it's an Explorer and it's not truly needed, but Ford should be embarrassed with that paper-thin factory "brace". I was able to easily fold it several times to throw out.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You're right, it may lead to "somewhat" more rigidity. Like as in pretty much imperceptible. For those who've actually looked at the structure of the shock tower and firewall system/castings on the ST, you'll see what I mean. None of the braces I've seen will have any measurable effect on left-to-right or front-to-rear torsional rigidity. In simpler words, as you corner,due to to the loading of the suspension, you impart a twisting motion from left to right (one shock tower tries to move up the other down). That design won't limit that.

The other force to consider is where one shock tower wants to move backward and the other forward (like cornering under braking or acceleration). It won't address that situation either.

As designed, it will only help inhibit the shock towers from moving toward each other (compression- both wheels hitting a giant pothole simultaneously) or moving away from each other (tension- both wheels leaving the ground simultaneously). I don't see where it will make any difference in "improved response" or "better handling".

It does look nice underhood though.
Say it louder for the people that think it helped their handling. lol
The way the car is built plus the 2 big tubular bars that triangulate the strut towers and firewall are doing all the work. These are dress up pieces…nothing else. I built my own just for the hell of it.
40 bucks for a extruded eBay bar and hardware and a couple hours of my time with some flat stock and a welder.
710BD03C-BA50-4258-810C-610F4F9711D5.jpeg