Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New aFe strut tower brace

Reactions
Can repaint either bar any color you want. I purchased the Steeda strut tower brace & rear stabilizer bars last summer and had both powder coated red, like the brake calipers.

The design of the AFE strut tower brace looks good. I doubt either is better than the other ultimately. Go with what's available at best price.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I'm sure that it will turn out to be a nice piece however it appears that their welder needs a little more practice.
Looks like they used red vines licorice to hold it together and painted over it 66C6A23A-EAB4-4209-8D92-CBA7784C03BD.jpeg 85F80175-82C3-4C05-8D71-41D182E3138B.jpeg

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not gonna lie, that looks like I welded it :eek: Certainly not what I would expect from a competent welder. Should be stacks of dimes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can repaint either bar any color you want. I purchased the Steeda strut tower brace & rear stabilizer bars last summer and had both powder coated red, like the brake calipers.

The design of the AFE strut tower brace looks good. I doubt either is better than the other ultimately. Go with what's available at best price.
FYI - While the stock Steeda bar comes in black powder coat, they will do Steeda blue (which I had done) powder coat and they indicated that there are other “basic” powder coat options available from them (whatever that means). So others might not need to paint to get what they want. Agree that either is a good option over stock and are probably more than is required.

Reactions
Not gonna lie, that looks like I welded it :eek: Certainly not what I would expect from a competent welder. Should be stacks of dimes.
You ain’t lying bro. Looks like doo doo IMO. tighten it up AFE!

Reactions
You ain’t lying bro. Looks like doo doo IMO. tighten it up AFE!
It’s a first article where they are mainly concerned with fitment. Production units will very very likely have cleaner welds and probably be machine welds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
It’s a first article where they are mainly concerned with fitment. Production units will very very likely have cleaner welds and probably be machine welds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this was the prototype used for fitment. I'm sure once these are in production, they will have much cleaner welds.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well they certainly cleaned up those welds. :)
I'm not sure about that. I think the installed picture is the only actual photo and the welds look the same on it. To me the others look like renderings of one.

Reactions
The OEM bar is nothing more than a shelf to sit your tools and/or favorite beverage on. I took mine off about 10k miles ago when doing an oil change and never put it back on. This thing looks STOUT!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm not sure about that. I think the installed picture is the only actual photo and the welds look the same on it. To me the others look like renderings of one.
True but the computer renderings of the product look great. :D Hopefully they get a better example of the real item out there and/or a better welder. For the price they want, the welds should be a lot cleaner.

Reactions
True but the computer renderings of the product look great. :D Hopefully they get a better example of the real item out there and/or a better welder. For the price they want, the welds should be a lot cleaner.
Does anyone have any actual photos of a production run AFE brace, specifically the welds? I’m deciding between it and the Steeda brace.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Does anyone have any actual photos of a production run AFE brace, specifically the welds? I’m deciding between it and the Steeda brace.
Mine just shipped. Sending it directly to FenFab for some customization. Will send pics once I get it back and installed. Will send some close-ups of their welds.

Quik ST

Reactions
I'm sorry if I missed it, but are all the steeda braces blue ? No black option ?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm sorry if I missed it, but are all the steeda braces blue ? No black option ?
If your looking for the strut tower brace it comes in black powder coat.

Features & Benefits:
  • Made in the USA
  • Increased front rigidity
  • Better handling
  • Improved response
  • Dresses up the engine bay
  • Durable construction
  • Wrinkle black powder-coat finish
  • Easy to install at home

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would say that 5 of those statements are absolutely true. One of those statements is "somewhat" true. Y'all guess which!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would say that 5 of those statements are absolutely true. One of those statements is "somewhat" true. Y'all guess which!
I would guess Increased front rigidity . I f not that Better handling. I may be wrong on both. :ROFLMAO:

I only posted from the website to show what color it comes in. It does look a lot better than stock.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're right, it may lead to "somewhat" more rigidity. Like as in pretty much imperceptible. For those who've actually looked at the structure of the shock tower and firewall system/castings on the ST, you'll see what I mean. None of the braces I've seen will have any measurable effect on left-to-right or front-to-rear torsional rigidity. In simpler words, as you corner,due to to the loading of the suspension, you impart a twisting motion from left to right (one shock tower tries to move up the other down). That design won't limit that.

The other force to consider is where one shock tower wants to move backward and the other forward (like cornering under braking or acceleration). It won't address that situation either.

As designed, it will only help inhibit the shock towers from moving toward each other (compression- both wheels hitting a giant pothole simultaneously) or moving away from each other (tension- both wheels leaving the ground simultaneously). I don't see where it will make any difference in "improved response" or "better handling".

It does look nice underhood though.

Last edited:
Reactions
You're right, it may lead to "somewhat" more rigidity. Like as in pretty much imperceptible. For those who've actually looked at the structure of the shock tower and firewall system/castings on the ST, you'll see what I mean. None of the braces I've seen will have any measurable effect on left-to-right or front-to-rear torsional rigidity. In simpler words, as you corner,due to to the loading of the suspension, you impart a twisting motion from left to right (one shock tower tries to move up the other down). That design won't limit that.

The other force to consider is where one shock tower wants to move backward and the other forward (like cornering under braking or acceleration). It won't address that situation either.

As designed, it will only help inhibit the shock towers from moving toward each other (compression- both wheels hitting a giant pothole simultaneously) or moving away from each other (tension- both wheels leaving the ground simultaneously). I don't see where it will make any difference in "improved response" or "better handling".

It does look nice underhood though.
And let's not forget, it makes changing the oil filter a snap.