Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More H&R Springs

Reactions
Finally got the H&R springs done this morning. I got to say I am really impressed with the ride quality. The truck is definitely more fun to drive without being rough. On the highway at 80mph the tracking is so much better. Maybe I was just out on the factory alignment. But tracks just about as good as our new C8 Corvette and that’s saying a lot. Just wanted to tell everybody my opinion of the ride and track quality! Jim

Reactions
Awesome! I’m excited! Mine just came in... Hoping for cooler weather or to find a shop that’s willing to throw them in on the cheap! It’s still in the high 90’s through 10pm in Phoenix.
EC359CB2-8CFA-4E9D-ACFB-4C503F17AA8C.jpeg

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Finally got the H&R springs done this morning. I got to say I am really impressed with the ride quality. The truck is definitely more fun to drive without being rough. On the highway at 80mph the tracking is so much better. Maybe I was just out on the factory alignment. But tracks just about as good as our new C8 Corvette and that’s saying a lot. Just wanted to tell everybody my opinion of the ride and track quality! Jim
81659472-3EEB-4BE3-8187-CBF1D58102F0.jpeg

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thought I better throw a pic in with the factory wheels and tires! Jim

Reactions
I agree! These springs ride great and feel better than the OEM’s for sure. I do wish they were like a 2” drop though.

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I agree! These springs ride great and feel better than the OEM’s for sure. I do wish they were like a 2” drop though.

Agree!

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Getting ready to do some more damage. Lol 34A5F78F-8A03-4F61-A2DB-63F82808488E.jpeg

F=MA

Reactions
Yes I thought of that later that if all corners are lowered equally it shouldn't be too bad.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I thought the rear drop was lower than the front on H&R?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Yes I thought of that later that if all corners are lowered equally it shouldn't be too bad.
I thought the rear drop was lower than the front on H&R?
@Cdubya is correct. Steeda is the same drop at all four corners, so it retains some rake. H&R "levels" the vehicle and has a larger drop in the rear--theoretically this means that the headlights would be pointed more upwards, which is bad both for oncoming drivers and for your visibility; however, in the real world it seems like this is a non-issue. the headlights are actually pretty straightforward to adjust and there is lots of youtube videos on how to use a wall and painters tape to align them yourself--along with what DOT specs should be. If you wanted to be super accurate and particular, I say give it a shot and let us know how things go.

Reactions
@Cdubya is correct. Steeda is the same drop at all four corners, so it retains some rake. H&R "levels" the vehicle and has a larger drop in the rear--theoretically this means that the headlights would be pointed more upwards, which is bad both for oncoming drivers and for your visibility; however, in the real world it seems like this is a non-issue. the headlights are actually pretty straightforward to adjust and there is lots of youtube videos on how to use a wall and painters tape to align them yourself--along with what DOT specs should be. If you wanted to be super accurate and particular, I say give it a shot and let us know how things go.
That is because the rear sits a tad higher stock than the front. so when everything is installed it levels the front and rear. that is why it is no big deal with the lights

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That is because the rear sits a tad higher stock than the front. so when everything is installed it levels the front and rear. that is why it is no big deal with the lights
If the drop makes a vehicle sit level when it was previously higher in the rear, checking the headlight aiming is all a part of it. Lowering the rear more, even a little bit, will naturally move the headlights higher. I checked mine before and after the H&R springs like I do with every vehicle I lower...I wound up dropping the lights a bit to bring them back to where they should be.
If the Steeda springs measure the same front and rear it won’t change the rake and checking the headlights would be less of an issue...but I’d still check them. I’ve checked many untouched vehicles that needed a little fine tuning on the lights.

F=MA

Reactions
I decided after purchasing the H&R springs to go with Steeda springs. If anyone wants to purchase the new H&R springs that are currently in route to me see the classified section.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I decided after purchasing the H&R springs to go with Steeda springs. If anyone wants to purchase the new H&R springs that are currently in route to me see the classified section.
Why the swap? Steedas settle to more drop than advertised and H&R aren’t quite as low as advertised. Side by side you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

F=MA

Reactions
Mostly it was from looking at photos of several different Steeda installs versus the H&R installs. I prefer a little more rake back to front. I plan on keeping the stock wheels and tires and plan to space them out with bora 1.25 spacers that I have ordered. Then I read the following:

"Steeda is the same drop at all four corners, so it retains some rake. H&R "levels" the vehicle and has a larger drop in the rear--theoretically this means that the headlights would be pointed more upwards, which is bad both for oncoming drivers and for your visibility; however, in the real world it seems like this is a non-issue. the headlights are actually pretty straightforward to adjust and there is lots of youtube videos on how to use a wall and painters tape to align them yourself--along with what DOT specs should be. If you wanted to be super accurate and particular, I say give it a shot and let us know how things go."

So my gut feel was to go with the Steeda versus ending up installing them and then removing them because I prefer a little more rake back to front and hopefully less messing with the headlight aim.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re talking about less than 1/4” difference in the back and adjusting the headlights is a 5 minute job. Your money...but it’s not as big of a difference as you’re thinking.