Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More goodies: FenFabrication Cold air intake and IC Piping

JgST

Reactions
Talked to him the other day. He’s hesitant to put it up on the Website, since he never expected it to be so popular. He has crazy demand atm,so he’s waiting till he can get through all the preorders . He has another job he’s still working on In The shop to finish up, and concerned he won’t be able to keep up. So just message him if interested I would say, or wait a little while and it will eventually go up.

Reactions
I've seen pics of people receiving their intakes - but no installed pics yet. Who has it completed that wants to post up some pics?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Mine isn't due to ship out until the end of this week but I will try to move as quick as I can once it does show up.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Very curious about this. Does this setup utilize the existing "cold air" setup? From what I can see, the filter is at the end of driver's side...is it a conical filter, or two? How easy to change the filter? Where is it drawing cold air from?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Very curious about this. Does this setup utilize the existing "cold air" setup? From what I can see, the filter is at the end of driver's side...is it a conical filter, or two? How easy to change the filter? Where is it drawing cold air from?
The filter sits right in front of the opening for the factory snorkel. While driving it should get a nice dose of fresh air...that’s a sealed high pressure spot the built into the grille. For an open filter there’s not a better place in the car for sure.

Reactions
I really hope someone does some IAT logging before and after

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The filter sits right in front of the opening for the factory snorkel. While driving it should get a nice dose of fresh air...that’s a sealed high pressure spot the built into the grille. For an open filter there’s not a better place in the car for sure.
I thought that maybe it was too far to the left (driver's side) to be near the factory snorkus. Can I assume there is a single conical filter that feeds the fresh air to the inlet of the turbos?. Also, how difficult to take off the air filter? Appreciate the info.

Reactions
I want one but damn, it looks so ..... diesel looking lol. It's just a awkward pipe that runs across the entire engine bay lol. Not to say it's anything to do with his work, just what is required to make it work on these ST's but it's pretty damn ugly lol

Reactions
single k&n conical filter at the stock intake location.. easy to change, sounds amazing

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #216
I really hope someone does some IAT logging before and after
I went back through my hundreds of logs to pull some data. Of course nothing is perfect. These weren't done on the same day with same temps etc. but I have 3rd and 4th gear pull logs before and after the FENFAB intake/charge pipes install. These are temps before the pull and at redline during the pull. Before the intake/charge pipes across 3 logs I saw an average 21% drop in IAT (23%, 17%, 23%). After the intake/charge pipes across 3 logs I saw an average 50% drop in IAT (53%, 53%, 43%).

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I went back through my hundreds of logs to pull some data. Of course nothing is perfect. These weren't done on the same day with same temps etc. but I have 3rd and 4th gear pull logs before and after the FENFAB intake/charge pipes install. These are temps before the pull and at redline during the pull. Before the intake/charge pipes across 3 logs I saw an average 21% drop in IAT (23%, 17%, 23%). After the intake/charge pipes across 3 logs I saw an average 50% drop in IAT (53%, 53%, 43%).
I have followed all the posts on your build with anticipation, but I'm thinking that since these weren't done at the same temps they are likely suspect. I asked quite a few questions about the FenFab setup in the thread because I wondered if the intake had been directed to some alternate source of high flow outside air . But, given that it's using the factory snorkus, I'm not sure why the IATs would be lower. I might imagine since the intake is aluminum rather than thermoplastic, I might see some type of difference related to thermal mass on your pulls. So, I'd have to believe that the easiest explanation is simply different days, different temps. If the pressure drop were less from atmosphere to intake, it would add HP, (and I doubt that this is measurable in the logs) but I'm not seeing how the IATs in this scenario would be affected appreciably.

I'm not flaming you, just not sure those log numbers are meaningful.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #219
I have followed all the posts on your build with anticipation, but I'm thinking that since these weren't done at the same temps they are likely suspect. I asked quite a few questions about the FenFab setup in the thread because I wondered if the intake had been directed to some alternate source of high flow outside air . But, given that it's using the factory snorkus, I'm not sure why the IATs would be lower. I might imagine since the intake is aluminum rather than thermoplastic, I might see some type of difference related to thermal mass on your pulls. So, I'd have to believe that the easiest explanation is simply different days, different temps. If the pressure drop were less from atmosphere to intake, it would add HP, (and I doubt that this is measurable in the logs) but I'm not seeing how the IATs in this scenario would be affected appreciably.

I'm not flaming you, just not sure those log numbers are meaningful.
‍Just providing the data I got trying to help.