Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mods for towing ?

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
I’m interested in optimizing my ST for towing . Looking to increase engine and transmission cooling ,as well as a bigger rear sway bar . Any parts swapped from piu work or after market? We used to have an expedition with HD tow package any parts swap potential there ? Thanks for any help

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #2
Ok well any opinions on adding a bigger intercooler ?and or a tune that might be towing focused as opposed to performance ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
I have a CVF IC that I have not installed yet. I also do some towing and hope that this will keep inlet temps a little cooler down here in hot central Texas. I can't comment yet on how much, if any, it will help.

A trailer brake controller should probably be on your list. The ST tows pretty good for what it is. It's probably a little better than the Explorer Sport that I had before but it's not a truck so be aware of overall trailer weight and the hitch weight in order to stay out of trouble.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can get a tow specific tune if you decide to go that route. Would assume it is a bit more conservative with some added exhaust temp monitoring. I would think the intercooler upgrade would help a lot towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #5
Intercooler sounds like a no brainer (does the intercooler affect the need for an oil separator ? ) ,this Will be my fourth suv for towing .. I like them for weight transfer . Had 2 grand Cherokee’s both v8 ,and the expedition 3.5 max tow I remember the 3.5 adjusting for octane so I filled with 91/93 when towing. I’m hoping the explorer comes close or better than they did for balance . Planning on going to can am rv in Canada to get their expert hitch setup done.

Reactions
A bigger intercooler is a no-brainer. They are all good (Steeda in mine). I have a Gearhead AO tune and tow my boat often - zero issues. Many tuners want you to have a separate Tow tune and/or don’t recommend using their tune(s). The PIU larger rear sway bar and matching shocks, along with the Steeda subframe bushings round it all out.

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #7
Finally got a ST ,had to sell off a couple cars to make it happen.will be going to Can Am rv Centre in London on. To have them do their hitch “magic” .will try to document it here if anyone is interested?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #10
In hopes of getting my ST built for towing ,I’m surfing for mods that might improve transmission cooling . Can anyone give feed back on the aluminum transmission oil pans ? Also I admit to getting lost looking at oem parts break downs between explorer and piu . In regards to auxiliary coolers ,that might swap in . Would really like to find a piu in a wreaking yard to pick over. anyone in New England know of any ?

Explorer ST Posts