Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishap

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
Had a little mishap yesterday and put a scratch on the left front wheel well. I went to a body shop just to get an estimate for repair. Can't believe how much this small scratch involves in getting it professionally fixed.
I'm looking at $1100. Does this sound right? They need to replace the wheel well plastic and remove the whole panel to treat, paint and match. Their hourly rate isn't bad at 55/hr.
Your thoughts?

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s more than a scratch…it’s dented as well. Yes, that’s a good price.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Sounds about right.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it were me, I'd just get a new trim piece and touch up pa-nt the scratch. My Explorer is no beauty queen though. I have plenty of small door dings from the kids and liftgate scratches from the garage door.

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you are going to get it repaired, the price sounds like it is in the ball park.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the hits and confirming! Just wanted to be sure before I make a move. They are needing to take the bumper off to remove the panel. I thinking I should take this advantage to install an IC.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
If it were me, I'd just get a new trim piece and touch up pa-nt the scratch. My Explorer is no beauty queen though. I have plenty of small door dings from the kids and liftgate scratches from the garage door.
This is the first of any disfiguring on this body. It was in pristine shape before this scratch. It hurts just knowing it's there so I need it repaired asap.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I hurt for you too my bro.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This is the first of any disfiguring on this body. It was in pristine shape before this scratch. It hurts just knowing it's there so I need it repaired asap.
I'm with you on that, I wouldn't want to drive mine to the grocery store until I got it fixed. ;)

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I'm with you on that, I wouldn't want to drive mine to the grocery store until I got it fixed. ;)
Right? It's killing me 'cause I just got back from the grocery store and the repair shop won't be able to get to it for another 2 weeks! I'm cringin'!

hbalek

Reactions
Right? It's killing me 'cause I just got back from the grocery store and the repair shop won't be able to get to it for another 2 weeks! I'm cringin'!
I know the feeling! A black car or a object dinged my passenger front door above the handle. It's a weird crescent shaped black ding. No idea where it happened last weekend. I was able to rub out the black mark but the ding really bothers me. I have to stop looking at it. People who aren't into cars think we're weird or crazy for being upset about it. This is a good support group for us!

Reactions
I had a similar incedent and I ordered a factory prepainted fender and installed it myself. Not too difficult a job as I already had experience putting in the Whipple intercooler. No carfax and no downtime. I posted a thread on here, https://www.explorerst.org/threads/pre-painted-fender.4827/#post-65310.

Tommy

Reactions
The plastic fender trim is an easy replacement and I you may even be able to source a used one

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I know the feeling! A black car or a object dinged my passenger front door above the handle. It's a weird crescent shaped black ding. No idea where it happened last weekend. I was able to rub out the black mark but the ding really bothers me. I have to stop looking at it. People who aren't into cars think we're weird or crazy for being upset about it. This is a good support group for us!
Anyone who takes good care of their vehicle would understand. Especially at the cost of these STs. And yes, this is a great informative support group!

Sorry to hear about your eyesore. For reasons like that, I've installed a 24hr 3 way dashcam. It also worked great for keeping an eye on the Ford mechanics when I brought it in for maintenance.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
The plastic fender trim is an easy replacement and I you may even be able to source a used one
Thanks. I thought about that too.
I wish I had the time and space to install a fender myself, I'd be all over it.