Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Springs Pros and Cons

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I did do some research on this and saw that some people had trouble with shops being able to do an alignment. Something about the top bolt. I didn’t find a solution so that’s why I asked about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
Those non-splined bolts don’t allow any appreciable adjustment. Tried that a long time ago. Easiest, cheapest way is to just slot the upper holes in the strut a bit with a carbide bit. I’m not a fan of camber bolts but I hear those exist as well. Most cars will sit -.8 to -1° without anything being done which is fine.
Is that after installing the springs or the best it can be after an alignment?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I did do some research on this and saw that some people had trouble with shops being able to do an alignment. Something about the top bolt. I didn’t find a solution so that’s why I asked about it.

That’s a shop issue…not a car issue.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Is that after installing the springs or the best it can be after an alignment?

That’s the range they generally fall in after springs and it’s perfectly within spec.

Reactions
Vehicle
That’s the range they generally fall in after springs and it’s perfectly within spec.
Ok, thank you sir!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
However If I remember some post you made a while back that if one can find a reputable tech the rears can be adjusted to -.5 without any modification to the upper holes by just loosening and re-tightening them? And that will allow the rears to sit pretty damn flush. Do I remember that correctly or did I make that shit up?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
To get to -.5 you’ll have to grind the slots in the frame. I’ve seen as much as -.8 without touching anything.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
To get to -.5 you’ll have to grind the slots in the frame. I’ve seen as much as -.8 without touching anything.
I swore you mentioned -.5 rear camber as I wrote it down back when I first started lurking on this forum. Just found it in your build thread post #74 back in 2020. Not calling you out. Just trying to do my homework so I'm fully armed when I talk and instruct the alignment shop. Going to be installing my lowering springs soon and then I want to be certain what can/cannot be done adjustment wise when I go in for alignment

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I swore you mentioned -.5 rear camber as I wrote it down back when I first started lurking on this forum. Just found it in your build thread post #74 back in 2020. Not calling you out. Just trying to do my homework so I'm fully armed when I talk and instruct the alignment shop. Going to be installing my lowering springs soon and then I want to be certain what can/cannot be done adjustment wise when I go in for alignment
If you look around at other suspension posts back then you’ll see me talking about grinding the frame slots too. I also ground them some more a week or so ago to do some experimenting. I can get to +1° rear camber now.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you look around at other suspension posts back then you’ll see me talking about grinding the frame slots too. I also ground them some more a week or so ago to do some experimenting. I can get to +1° rear camber now.
Gotcha - Thanks. I didn't realize you had modified the slots then at that time also. Just want to know what can be accomplished by a capable tech. So anything more than -.8 has to have enlarged slots.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Gotcha - Thanks. I didn't realize you had modified the slots then at that time also. Just want to know what can be accomplished by a capable tech. So anything more than -.8 has to have enlarged slots.
99% of cars are gonna be maxed out in the -1° range or a hair more. That -.8° is the most I’ve ever seen posted and just a weird car or a fluke reading. -1° is fine…the front will be right around there too since it’s not adjustable without extra parts or my go-to…slotting the upper hole in the strut body. I’ll be doing that when I swap shocks and struts before long.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you go to a shop, just tell them the inside upper control arm bolts have adjustment. It is a mild pita to reach them.

I went to get mine done after Ford dealer failed miserable and I put wheels and tires on. At first he said no go. Then I told him about the bolts. He called over the old timer alignment guy and they had no trouble. Only problem was both guys couldn’t hold parts and see the alignment gauge so I took one for the team and read off readings

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok so, dumb question here — I’m on pavement 99.9% of the time, but I theoretically would still like to be able to drive on national forest fire roads. They’re basically just dirt and gravel with some huge ruts in certain spots. Would the Steeda springs make the Explorer a pavement only princess?

I have seen tiny shit sedans on these fire roads so I know the answer. Just looking for someone to say that they’ve driven off pavement since lowering

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Ok so, dumb question here — I’m on pavement 99.9% of the time, but I theoretically would still like to be able to drive on national forest fire roads. They’re basically just dirt and gravel with some huge ruts in certain spots. Would the Steeda springs make the Explorer a pavement only princess?

I have seen tiny shit sedans on these fire roads so I know the answer. Just looking for someone to say that they’ve driven off pavement since lowering
I had no issues driving to my mother's house on a 5 mile dirt road in Colorado, including a couple of cattle guards, I'm using H&R springs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had no issues driving to my mother's house on a 5 mile dirt road in Colorado, including a couple of cattle guards, I'm using H&R springs.
thanks man. Sounds like a cool location too!

Green S/T

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hello all, new here with a question or two. Just picked up a 23 S/T and I want to bring the rear down some and still ride well whereas it is a daily driver. I’ve read through all the replies in the thread here and seems like the H&R are the choice for comfort, but believe I read that it brings the rear down a lot. Also can you retain factory shocks or will they need replacing as well? Anyone here from Chicago, Northwest Indiana area that deals with a good suspension shop that can do the job correct?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hello all, new here with a question or two. Just picked up a 23 S/T and I want to bring the rear down some and still ride well whereas it is a daily driver. I’ve read through all the replies in the thread here and seems like the H&R are the choice for comfort, but believe I read that it brings the rear down a lot. Also can you retain factory shocks or will they need replacing as well? Anyone here from Chicago, Northwest Indiana area that deals with a good suspension shop that can do the job correct?
H&Rs will level the car out so yes it will bring down the rear a bit. Unless you are heavy towing there isn’t a reason to be concerned about the “rake”. The shocks can be retained, and also note there are no other options anyway.

Green S/T

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
H&Rs will level the car out so yes it will bring down the rear a bit. Unless you are heavy towing there isn’t a reason to be concerned about the “rake”. The shocks can be retained, and also note there are no other options anyway.
I’m all ears for other options as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I’m all ears for other options as well.
H&R and Lethal are the best options if you don’t heavy tow. Steeds keeps the rake so better for towing.