Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Love my 2022 ST but why are so many publication reviews trashing the Explorer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Make sure you take it for long drives over the weekend. It's great to have that short of a commute, but it's actually terrible for your car. Take it for some highway cruises or use it to run errands during the weekend ... something that gets everything up to operating temps and then some.
Oh yea we take it pretty much everywhere outside of work. No one wants to ride in my 2014 F150 lol

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
We honestly didn't read any reviews before we test drove our '22 ST ...
Ha! I do extensive research on every vehicle I buy.

From instrumented road tests, to video reviews, and sometimes even to forums (forums can be hit or miss though, too many opinions with very little facts Lol).

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ha! I do extensive research on every vehicle I buy.

From instrumented road tests, to video reviews, and sometimes even to forums (forums can be hit or miss though, too many opinions with very little facts Lol).
My wife liked it and that was good enough. Buying new is not as risky as used due to the warranty. If it would have turned out to be a POS then we would have just bought something else. This is not a forever car and if I would have looked at the reviews we probably would not have bought it. But glad I didn't research it hard as we are enjoying it so far.

Reactions
I do my research before I buy anything. The higher the price tag the deeper the research. But, I also take reviews with a grain of salt and look at them much like music reviews. If I’d always listened to the music critics I would have missed many of my favorite bands and songs. So in the end, what matters most, is do YOU like it?

I had a 2018 Explorer Sport prior to this. With the rear wheel bias, additional HP and finally a driver dead pedal in the ST, the choice for me was easy!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My wife liked it and that was good enough. Buying new is not as risky as used due to the warranty. If it would have turned out to be a POS then we would have just bought something else. This is not a forever car and if I would have looked at the reviews we probably would not have bought it. But glad I didn't research it hard as we are enjoying it so far.
What I gain from doing extensive research on a product is if the vast majority of reviewers all report a similar issue, then it is very likely that issue is genuine and not just a fluke. To that end, reviews have helped me out a lot.

I do my research before I buy anything. The higher the price tag the deeper the research ...
Bingo! Give that man a cigar!

OP
L
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #46
Nice! Apologies for my late reply.. lots going on...

Reactions
This will be my last Ford.. My 2021 received a new engine at 10k miles. Come to find out the dealer didn't install the drivers side turbo inlet clamp, which I noticed at 40k miles so it could have been sucking in anything and everything for 30k miles. But they didn't do anything about it except throw on a 30cent worm gear clamp and call it good. The rear end was replaced at 30k miles after it blew a halfshaft seal and pumped itself dry. Numerous rattles in the interior and under the car.

The service manager at the dealer wanted to blame me for their tech forgetting the inlet clamp.. That was great.. He said I could have removed it when I was changing the oil... And it would have thrown a code at some point...

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
This will be my last Ford.. My 2021 received a new engine at 10k miles. Come to find out the dealer didn't install the drivers side turbo inlet clamp, which I noticed at 40k miles so it could have been sucking in anything and everything for 30k miles. But they didn't do anything about it except throw on a 30cent worm gear clamp and call it good. The rear end was replaced at 30k miles after it blew a halfshaft seal and pumped itself dry. Numerous rattles in the interior and under the car.

The service manager at the dealer wanted to blame me for their tech forgetting the inlet clamp.. That was great.. He said I could have removed it when I was changing the oil... And it would have thrown a code at some point...
I would be writing a letter to Ford Regional Rep about that kind of service and copy the Dealer Principal. That Service Manager needs a good open hand slap (sorry inside voice) .......You got a lemon, sell it and get rid of the dealer. New dealer, new Explorer, wait for the 24, we should see some photos in the next few months.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A

It's posts like this that scare me. I bought my '20 RDX for mainly the engine, but the amount of interior rattles has gotten to me. I will say that, if I can help it, I'll never own another car with a panoramic sunroof. If I do eventually wind up with an ST, it won't have one, nor the massaging seats.

Every car company has issues, including the highly acclaimed Toyota. It's the dealer experience and manufacturer's response that can make or break customer loyalty. From what I've seen, Ford has always lacked in this department. I've been a "GM guy", but their dealer networks are terrible as well. Although that service manager is about as charismatic as a potato, he does bring up a point ... if the absence of the clamp didn't throw any codes, it probably sealed well enough without one and it's unlikely it sucked up anything that would be harmful to the engine.

Hopefully the issues with your car are over.

Reactions
Although that service manager is about as charismatic as a potato, he does bring up a point ... if the absence of the clamp didn't throw any codes, it probably sealed well enough without one and it's unlikely it sucked up anything that would be harmful to the engine.

Hopefully the issues with your car are over.
I don't believe there's any sensors prior to the turbo inlet that would throw codes. Everything is on the pressurized side of the inlet tract.

Reactions
Funny coincidence; Ford Service sent me a questionaire/survey today about my service appointment that was related to this whole ordeal..

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Oh yea we take it pretty much everywhere outside of work. No one wants to ride in my 2014 F150 lol
Same here. Family doesn't want to ride in my 2006 Honda Accord, although just as reliable as the ST, even at 240K miles, just maybe not as fun to drive. Love both of them.

Reactions
I'd have to second that opinion @EBjunkie. This is my first Ford and I bought it only because due to kids, I needed to move away from a sports car to something with more room. At the same time, I didn't want to give up a lot in the way of performance (acceleration, braking, MPG). After looking at nearly all the available "performance" SUVs, a test drive in the ST seemed like the best bang for the buck. No, it didn't have the best interior, but in terms of what I was looking for, it checked all the boxes.

As far as problems; knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem with my 2020 in two and a half years.
How many miles are on your ST TMac? What letter build? Mine 20’ is a C. You had to have had an issue with the flex pipe. No torn boot on passenger side?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I still have less than 10k on mine! Haven't had a torn boot or flex pipe issue yet.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have owned Fords since I bought my 1964 Galaxie from my father. I've also owned other brands and been almost happy, but never really happy until I bought my 1990 Explorer. I've owned six (6) since then and all of them have been good to me. Actually not just good, but very good. Never more than oil changes, tires and brakes. My 2013 was purchased new and it's what I traded against the 2021 ST I bought. It had 135000 miles on it and still ran as good as when new.

would I buy an Explorer if there was no ST model?? Absolutely!! so why do people piss and moan about Explorers? Usually because they don't own one. And keep in mind that the Ford Explorer is the most purchased SUV on the planet. More sales equals more pissing and moaning when compared to lower selling brands.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
...And keep in mind that the Ford Explorer is the most purchased SUV on the planet...
I'm not buying that one. I"d be surprised if cracked the top 10.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm not buying that one. I"d be surprised if cracked the top 10.
Another thng for you to keep in mind is that I always do my homework. And I won't blow smoke up anyones ass, even yours. Your apology is accepted.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Another thng for you to keep in mind is that I always do my homework. And I won't blow smoke up anyones ass, even yours. Your apology is accepted.
Having read hundreds of posts from @GearHead_1, I do not think this was as personal as you are taking it.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No harm, no fowl. However, posting just to post is a common thing on many forums, and it's a bad habit that needs to be pointed out. I'm sure gearhead is a nice guy.