Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Love my 2022 ST but why are so many publication reviews trashing the Explorer?

Reactions
Like anyone, he certainly has his biases. He's definitely a Toyota & Honda fanboy, and he admits it. Jack (the Asian guy) is big into German and GM cars.

That being said, I've test driven and driven a friend's ST numerous times and I absolutely adore the way the car drives. But, the transmission shifting/programming has been very hit and miss. Sometimes it shifts buttery smooth. Other times it will bang into a gear randomly. A few times I've been driving normally and the vehicle just wouldn't upshift, then all of a sudden it will abruptly shift disrupting the whole cabin.
Interesting to read about the transmission issues. I have run into this myself a few times recently. Only if I start off in sport pulling out of the neighborhood it will bang into what I believe to be 2nd or third very hard. Still love the truck and wouldn't trade it for anything else......unless Nissan decides to do a 3 row GTR.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Like anyone, he certainly has his biases. He's definitely a Toyota & Honda fanboy, and he admits it. Jack (the Asian guy) is big into German and GM cars.

That being said, I've test driven and driven a friend's ST numerous times and I absolutely adore the way the car drives. But, the transmission shifting/programming has been very hit and miss. Sometimes it shifts buttery smooth. Other times it will bang into a gear randomly. A few times I've been driving normally and the vehicle just wouldn't upshift, then all of a sudden it will abruptly shift disrupting the whole cabin.
Yup, I don't really care what either of those two guys think. I watch many automotive reviewers, and those two don't even crack the top 20. Lol

My ST's trans does "bang" a lot, but it probably has something to do with me being in Sport Mode 99% of the time.;)

But for the 1% of the time I'm not in Sport Mode, it's shifts smooth as butter.(y)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
C&D just released sales info on the top cars/trucks so far this year:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g39628015/best-selling-cars-2022/

The Explorer ranks #14 at 156,243 units sold, while the Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in at #8 with 172,545 units sold.

But the Explorer only took a 3% drop from last year, whereas the Cherokee is down 9%.

led.jpg

Untitl.jpg

KegsBdry

Reactions
I wonder if the bad reviews are on the later models (after 2020) due to the lack of tech that was available during the pandemic? If you show features on a vehicle and later take them away, but still pay the same or greater price, that has to have negative feedback from the public.

Or it could be all the transmission, interior quality, and gremlins everyone has been hearing about so much since it first got off the line.

Mine been in the shop for a number of gremlins but I still cannot find a comparison SUV with the number of features this ST has for the price.

Reactions
I wonder if the bad reviews are on the later models (after 2020) due to the lack of tech that was available during the pandemic? If you show features on a vehicle and later take them away, but still pay the same or greater price, that has to have negative feedback from the public.

Or it could be all the transmission, interior quality, and gremlins everyone has been hearing about so much since it first got off the line.

Mine been in the shop for a number of gremlins but I still cannot find a comparison SUV with the number of features this ST has for the price.
Alot of people say don't buy the first year of a vehicle refresh let them work out the bugs but I've had the opposite experience with My 2016 Malibu Premier and 2020 Explorer ST both.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Our 2020 ST, with a B Series VIN, has been mechanically sound and fun to drive on a daily basis. Yes, I've had a couple of trim complaints (driver's seat lower left side is on it's third replacement part), and a horrible experience with a SYNC update last year, but overall it's been a solid performer. Plus we have the self-sealing Michelins (which are wearing well), heated wipers, lights in the glove box and cupholders, working massage seats, rear AC controls, etc., that are all missing from later models!!

We have taken three road trips (two to/from AZ [one with a stop in Park City for the Ford Performance day] and one to Sun Valley, ID) and it's been superb in every way. 23MPG at 80mph in a 5,000lb, AWD, SUV blows me away!! And Sport Mode is a wonderful way to pass semis on otherwise deserted stretches of highway ;) !!

We traded in an electronically-challenged '17 F-150 Platinum that spent far more time in the shop trying to address it's numerous gremlins. I was originally thinking of just getting a new F-150 or maybe a RAM 1500, but my wife was really pushing for a 3-row SUV instead. Our Atlas Blue ST just called my name when I saw it. And now, I look at the deal we got (good discount with several thousand $$ off the MSRP, 0% financing, etc.) and can't even imagine trading for something and paying thousands of $$ above MSRP AND 5-6% interest for the privilege!!

Plus, our ST regularly "does" things for us that prove it's earned the "U" (Utility) portion of if it's SUV nickname. We've hauled everything from two additional people in the 3rd row (total of 7 adults on board), to concrete pavers, 8' long studs, and bags of garden bark ... all without a problem. For example, a couple of days ago we had to buy a new 65" TV and the box looked really large. Not having a tape measure to check the dimensions, I was thinking I might have to rent a PU and come back to get it. Nope .. dropped row two down and it slid right in without a hitch!! Happens all the time - and our cargo compartment has some blemishes to prove it!!

Ken

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... Mine been in the shop for a number of gremlins but I still cannot find a comparison SUV with the number of features this ST has for the price.
You got that right!

Our 2020 ST, with a B Series VIN ...
"B Series"???

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Our 2020 ST, with a B Series VIN, has been mechanically sound and fun to drive on a daily basis. Yes, I've had a couple of trim complaints (driver's seat lower left side is on it's third replacement part), and a horrible experience with a SYNC update last year, but overall it's been a solid performer. Plus we have the self-sealing Michelins (which are wearing well), heated wipers, lights in the glove box and cupholders, working massage seats, rear AC controls, etc., that are all missing from later models!!

We have taken three road trips (two to/from AZ [one with a stop in Park City for the Ford Performance day] and one to Sun Valley, ID) and it's been superb in every way. 23MPG at 80mph in a 5,000lb, AWD, SUV blows me away!! And Sport Mode is a wonderful way to pass semis on otherwise deserted stretches of highway ;) !!

We traded in an electronically-challenged '17 F-150 Platinum that spent far more time in the shop trying to address it's numerous gremlins. I was originally thinking of just getting a new F-150 or maybe a RAM 1500, but my wife was really pushing for a 3-row SUV instead. Our Atlas Blue ST just called my name when I saw it. And now, I look at the deal we got (good discount with several thousand $$ off the MSRP, 0% financing, etc.) and can't even imagine trading for something and paying thousands of $$ above MSRP AND 5-6% interest for the privilege!!

Plus, our ST regularly "does" things for us that prove it's earned the "U" (Utility) portion of if it's SUV nickname. We've hauled everything from two additional people in the 3rd row (total of 7 adults on board), to concrete pavers, 8' long studs, and bags of garden bark ... all without a problem. For example, a couple of days ago we had to buy a new 65" TV and the box looked really large. Not having a tape measure to check the dimensions, I was thinking I might have to rent a PU and come back to get it. Nope .. dropped row two down and it slid right in without a hitch!! Happens all the time - and our cargo compartment has some blemishes to prove it!!

Ken
Definitely scratch magnet. Can't even slide in a cardboard box of performance parts without a mark. This is my third explorer so in reality I should know better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST

Ken
Can you please advise on your seat issue? I have an appointment scheduled for my drivers seat. The lower left side (where your butt cheek would be) feels like something is broken whenever I first hop in the car or use the massage feature. Something ‘clicks’.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Ditto to all the people who claim it checked too many boxes. Not only would I not own an Explorer if it weren’t for the ST, I wouldn’t own a Ford. Never thought I’d own a Ford (never wanted to) but I needed to upgrade to a 3-row SUV due to having a baby and a dog and I didn’t want to give up on performance.

The Durango 392 skyrocketed in price and is now easily $15000 more expensive than an explorer ST. Out of my budget and overpriced even if I had the money. Still think the ST is overpriced. However, new full size SUVs and trucks (I like GMC and Chevy) with just a few nice features added are like $80,000 minimum which is insane. There is no better performing 3 row SUV in the Explorers class/price range than an ST, and I like how it still looks like an appropriate car to arrive in at client meetings and work meetings and fully encompasses the term Sport Utility Vehicle. Other SUVs simply are not capable of being “sporty”. They are just called that because they are useful to people who participate in sports and need the additional interior/cargo space and 4wd.

There are only 2 cars on the market right now that I was even open to, Durango 392 or Explorer ST. Durango 392 too much money now (not as many available as an ST), ST can whoop it with just a couple mods and a tune. ST looks handsome. Durango 392 isn’t excessive looking, but I’ve come to dislike Dodge owners/drivers lately.

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can you please advise on your seat issue? I have an appointment scheduled for my drivers seat. The lower left side (where your butt cheek would be) feels like something is broken whenever I first hop in the car or use the massage feature. Something ‘clicks’.
Haven't had that issue at all ... what broke on ours is the side trim piece where the switches are for the power seat. Broke off at the front and hung there twice. Third time seems to be much better!!

Ken

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ditto to all the people who claim it checked too many boxes.
That it did. It checks a ton of boxes.

The Durango 392 skyrocketed in price and is now easily $15000 more expensive than an explorer ST.
Even more. Explorer ST AWD starts at $51.5k, 392 Durango starts at $70.3k so the difference is almost $19k.

Not to mention 392 owners report getting 10 mpg.

ST looks handsome. Durango 392 isn’t excessive looking
The 392 doesn't look bad, but it's starting to get a little dated.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
Durango 392 isn’t excessive looking, but I’ve come to dislike Dodge owners/drivers lately.
Ain't that the truth. I know it's a generalization, but the chances of the person behind the wheel of a Durango, Grand Cherokee or RAM being a scumbag are inordinately high.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, it is a generalization, which means it's not at all accurate. But, if you're going to generalize, then we should all hate Subaru owners- Birkenstock wearing, tree-hugging, pot-smoking millenials with no common sense. Or, perhaps Corvette owners- gold-chain wearing, harley-davidson owning, cigarette smoking boomers looking to pick up young women. Don't even get me started on Porsche owners- Rolex wearing, yacht-owning, pipe smoking wankers addicted to debt.
:rolleyes:

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
You can't say ....

Yes, it is a generalization, which means it's not at all accurate.
And then disprove your own argument with mostly true statements such as ...

But, if you're going to generalize, then we should all hate Subaru owners- Birkenstock wearing, tree-hugging, pot-smoking millenials with no common sense. Or, perhaps Corvette owners- gold-chain wearing, harley-davidson owning, cigarette smoking boomers looking to pick up young women. Don't even get me started on Porsche owners- Rolex wearing, yacht-owning, pipe smoking wankers addicted to debt.
:rolleyes:
:geek:

Even people I know who drive the cars I mentioned agree that many they encounter on the roads drive like complete knobs. Though, nobody can compete with BMW on this achievement.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You are a little sarcasm challenged...perhaps? That was meant to be funny.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi all, new to the forums and just took delivery of our ST last night. We came from a loaded 2016 xlt explorer and loved the vehicle but just felt it was long in tooth so we decided to upgrade it. I read some reviews recently about the new models and had some concerns, but man, this thing is nice all the way around. We're bummed it didn't have the massage seats, we were hoping the vehicle was built earlier in the year, but we don't have it. Anyways, so far we're happy with it and looking forward to driving it around more. It won't get many miles since it's the wife's car and her "commute" is less than a mile away but we think it's still a really nice ride.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
Hi all, new to the forums and just took delivery of our ST last night. We came from a loaded 2016 xlt explorer and loved the vehicle but just felt it was long in tooth so we decided to upgrade it. I read some reviews recently about the new models and had some concerns, but man, this thing is nice all the way around. We're bummed it didn't have the massage seats, we were hoping the vehicle was built earlier in the year, but we don't have it. Anyways, so far we're happy with it and looking forward to driving it around more. It won't get many miles since it's the wife's car and her "commute" is less than a mile away but we think it's still a really nice ride.
Make sure you take it for long drives over the weekend. It's great to have that short of a commute, but it's actually terrible for your car. Take it for some highway cruises or use it to run errands during the weekend ... something that gets everything up to operating temps and then some.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am a loyal Ford customer and I may have blinders on I must admit... love the looks of the ST and the performance of having 400 horses... looking at other competitive models, I still favor the Explorer.. I know that no auto mfg is perfect and was wondering if any of the ST forum audiences have opinions regarding the negative reviews from different pubs.... Car & Driver, Motortrend etc..

Sincerely,
Kevin
We honestly didn't read any reviews before we test drove our '22 ST. I had 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 5.0l that ran like a scalded cat and then a 2003 Eddie Bauer. Had some warranty issues that Ford didn't want to take care of and that was my last one until recently. I was silently still a Ford guy but my grudge kept me away for a long time. I have to say that my wife was leaning heavily towards a Grand Cherokee L and I may have persuaded her towards the Ford. We traded in a '21 Merc E450 All-Terrain due to lack of room, not niceties. That thing was fast and beautiful inside and out, I digress. The only thing we have had to bring it in for was the driver seat creaking, but that was done at the same time as the recall.

All in all we love our ST, my wife for the room that it has to haul around our kids/grandkids and me because it gives me something to modify and wrench on (and it's fun to drive).

Explorer ST Posts