Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Love my 2022 ST but why are so many publication reviews trashing the Explorer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am a loyal Ford customer and I may have blinders on I must admit... love the looks of the ST and the performance of having 400 horses... looking at other competitive models, I still favor the Explorer.. I know that no auto mfg is perfect and was wondering if any of the ST forum audiences have opinions regarding the negative reviews from different pubs.... Car & Driver, Motortrend etc..

Sincerely,
Kevin

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I swore I would never buy another Ford after our Winstar 20 years ago. This was my first Ford since then. I LOVE mine and think it was a great choice coming from full sized trucks. I have had minimal issues, only some trim pieces. As far as the fit and finish, I think it is pretty good. The interior is a little cheap but I can get over that.

Bottom line, as a Ford hater for a long time I really like my Explorer and disagree with most of the reviews.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Would you still be buying an Explorer if there were no ST version? IMHO, the bad press is well deserved. The ST version is still great but look at what Ford has butchered off the MY2020 version.

EBjunkie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I bought this vehicle because of the ST version. I was a 25+ year GMC / Chevy guy. I went to the dealer to price out a loaded GMC pickup and about lost my mind when I saw low mileage fully loaded trucks topping $70K. I saw a 2020 Copper ST going in for detailing and asked if I could get a test drive. I bought it the moment we hit the freeway on ramp and I had to navigate a dual trailer semi and a bunch of slow movers in the passing lane. A couple weeks later a friend had a 2020 Explorer XLT and I asked if I could take it for a spin. Night and Day difference to me. If I had driven that XLT, I would have never asked to test drive my ST and would probably still be looking for a new truck.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd have to second that opinion @EBjunkie. This is my first Ford and I bought it only because due to kids, I needed to move away from a sports car to something with more room. At the same time, I didn't want to give up a lot in the way of performance (acceleration, braking, MPG). After looking at nearly all the available "performance" SUVs, a test drive in the ST seemed like the best bang for the buck. No, it didn't have the best interior, but in terms of what I was looking for, it checked all the boxes.

As far as problems; knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem with my 2020 in two and a half years.

OP
L
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Would you still be buying an Explorer if there were no ST version? IMHO, the bad press is well deserved. The ST version is still great but look at what Ford has butchered off the MY2020 version.

OP
L
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Likely no, selected the ST for the room and mostly the performance as my wife and I do a lot of highway driving and we have grandkids so car seats need to fit :) thanks for your reply!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No i would not have bought a Ford were it not for the Explorer St. It just checked too many boxes for me wanting to downsize from full sized trucks and suvs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Downsized for the reason of not wanting to spend 70K on a loaded F150

Reactions
The ST has a great chassis and powertrain. It gets some knocks for the interior quality, but for a car thats most families' AND a police workhorse, its bound to get beat up anyway and at least the pieces are easy to find and replace when you need them. The interior i find is quite intuitive, functional and comfortable enough (esp with massage seats). If you spend all your time in the car running your fingers over the dash and trim pieces, then sure, go for an X5/Q7/cayenne etc. Reminds me of the old saying as with American cars, you pay for the engine and chassis, and the interior comes for free!

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My Limited had so many problems in a short time, I traded it on the ST. It has its issues too, unfortunately. It took over a week to get an object sensor replaced. I just discovered this morning that when they put the rear bumper cover back on, they left out two screws that hold the lower valance on. The rear camera is blue-screening more and more. Guess it's back to the shop for that and two proper screws in the valance.

Rant over. I do love the car's power and versatility, but all the nit-picky things that take too long to fix are wearing me down.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This is my second Ford vehicle and I would maybe have purchased the Explorer even in other trims for reliability of the ecoboost platform. Interior isn’t what you are paying for on this trim level, it’s the performance and boy does it no disappoint.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For reliable performance test results, C&D has been my go to automotive publication for decades (personally verified by myself at the track).

But their personal picks are just that, personal, and have not always been my favorites. No problem, they're not paying for my vehicle. I am.

As my "Explorer ST vs the Comparison" thread shows, nothing beats it for price/size/performance/mpg.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I can see why the reviews are bad after dealing with Ford fitment and quality on some parts.
Took mine in for condensation in the fog lamp and for it being slightly loose. After 2 hours in service they stated not covered due to weather wear and tear. (17k on the odometer)
A week later while washing the car I see a small crack in the headlamp driver side, once again go back to Ford and told "not covered" and the headlight assembly is about 1500.00!!
I told the service manager so what do you cover?? Unreal.....

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
From the outside looking in, I wouldn't consider an Explorer if it weren't for the ST trim. The fit & finish are not good, but you can excuse it for the power that it offers ... this isn't the case for other trims. My biggest issue is the transmission issues and programming. I just watched another review on the Timberline Explorer by SavageGeese on YouTube and it seems their transmission programming is still all over the place. I guess Ford has no intention on updating/rectifying this issue. This is the biggest blemish on the car IMO.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Downsized for the reason of not wanting to spend 70K on a loaded F150
Same here. Couldn't justify spending that much on a new truck. The ST will fill the void until I can find a used truck that I want for a reasonable price. I do love my ST though.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There were a lot of negative reviews because it was one of the worst new car debuts in Fords history. The Chicago plant couldn’t build a Lego set…much less a car. Tons of them were shipped elsewhere to be fixed before they even went to the dealers. 2020 A and B builds had more issues than they knew what to do with. They had them largely under control by the C builds but at first it seems like you were lucky to even get all the way home with one.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
^^how can I know what build I have? Does the VIN have the “a,b, or c” designation?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
From the outside looking in, I wouldn't consider an Explorer if it weren't for the ST trim ...
Ditto.

I just watched another review on the Timberline Explorer by SavageGeese on YouTube and it seems their transmission programming is still all over the place ...
That guy comes across as snobby. I personally wouldn't rely on anything he says.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
That guy comes across as snobby. I personally wouldn't rely on anything he says.
Like anyone, he certainly has his biases. He's definitely a Toyota & Honda fanboy, and he admits it. Jack (the Asian guy) is big into German and GM cars.

That being said, I've test driven and driven a friend's ST numerous times and I absolutely adore the way the car drives. But, the transmission shifting/programming has been very hit and miss. Sometimes it shifts buttery smooth. Other times it will bang into a gear randomly. A few times I've been driving normally and the vehicle just wouldn't upshift, then all of a sudden it will abruptly shift disrupting the whole cabin.