Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lithium upgrade?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am one of those that drive minimally and have to actually charge battery 1-2 times a year. Due to this, the AGM battery does not charge enough for start/stop to work. For my use, this equates to 3-4 mpg on my commute. A lithium battery or capacitor would work as they both charge much faster. Is it possible to safely either add on or upgrade to do this? I have a Renogy 20A DC to DC charger if that could help.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just grab a Ctek Multi US 7002 and the Comfort Connect cable, install and let it do its job.

OP
GregoYatzee
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Just grab a Ctek Multi US 7002 and the Comfort Connect cable, install and let it do its job.
I have chargers, I'd like an option where the alternator handles charging without having to plug my truck in every week or two. (That's generally how long SS lasts.

OP
GregoYatzee
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I am one of those that drive minimally and have to actually charge battery 1-2 times a year. Due to this, the AGM battery does not charge enough for start/stop to work. For my use, this equates to 3-4 mpg on my commute. A lithium battery or capacitor would work as they both charge much faster. Is it possible to safely either add on or upgrade to do this? I have a Renogy 20A DC to DC charger if that could help.
I wouldn't hesitate to swap AGM for LIPO if it can be safely done. That's where I thought my Renogy charger could be handy.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have chargers, I'd like an option where the alternator handles charging without having to plug my truck in every week or two. (That's generally how long SS lasts.
That’s not a charger…it’s a tender and takes just a second to connect with that plug I mentioned. Doesn’t get any easier and is much cheaper than a Lithium battery which is barely better than a good AGM to begin with.

OP
GregoYatzee
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
That’s not a charger…it’s a tender and takes just a second to connect with that plug I mentioned. Doesn’t get any easier and is much cheaper than a Lithium battery which is barely better than a good AGM to begin with.
My hope was to not have to remember to plug the truck in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I used Antigravity lithium batteries in my old 03 Cobra and 13 Boss 302. I drove those sparingly, and with those batteries the Cobra would start up just fine after sitting for 4-5 weeks. The weight loss was nice too. Antigravity makes an H6 size that would be a direct fit. It's pricey, but the weight loss is nice and you might solve your issue.

OP
GregoYatzee
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I used Antigravity lithium batteries in my old 03 Cobra and 13 Boss 302. I drove those sparingly, and with those batteries the Cobra would start up just fine after sitting for 4-5 weeks. The weight loss was nice too. Antigravity makes an H6 size that would be a direct fit. It's pricey, but the weight loss is nice and you might solve your issue.
My main concern is all the tech that monitors battery level and such in a 2020. Also the impact of Lithium pulling higher amperage. My Renogy charger would limit the charge @ 20 Amps. I assume the BMS would manage over/under charge issues.