Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liftgate Driving Me Insane....

Reactions
I searched threads throughout this forum and really couldn't find a clear cut solution to this issue. Liftgate will automatically open by itself when locking/unlocking doors, walking past rear of car, open again after I shut it. I have noticed that this only happens if I am in close proximity to the rear with the key fob. I have tested multiple scenarios where I will stand in the front, far enough away for the auto lock/unlock to not be engaged on the door handles, sitting inside the vehicle and the issue will not replicate. Seems like the key fob may have something to do with it when it is only within proximity of the liftgate but who really knows. Of course, Ford cannot replicate the issue but I was not there to show them in person.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Does it behave similarly when you use the other fob?

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Does it behave similarly when you use the other fob?
Mind blown over here lol.... Didn't even think of that but then again not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll give it a shot to see what happens.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Used the other key fob and same issue was replicated. On one instance the liftgate only opened halfway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Last week I parked at a restaurant. Before going in I turned to see the car was locked with the mirrors folded in and the tailgate was closed. I always keep my key fob in a small metal can in my pocket when I am not driving so no signals can come from it. When I came out the tailgate was open. It truly did that on its own. The car was still locked.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Mind blown over here lol.... Didn't even think of that but then again not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll give it a shot to see what happens.
If we all had all the answers, this forum would be pretty boring. :geek:

Reactions
You can turn off the liftgate feature in the settings menu. Advanced Features-Vehicle-Power Liftgate-disable.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just keep the key fob in the center console as designed. I have not seen my key fob in months.

Reactions
My liftgate used to shut on my head multiple times in one sitting when I would get groceries out of the back. It also never would open up when I kicked under it. I eventually gave up and yoinked out the wire. Been a year since, never looked back.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
You can turn off the liftgate feature in the settings menu. Advanced Features-Vehicle-Power Liftgate-disable.
So I assume once I turn it off it will just revert to manually opening and closing and that won't damage any components? Granted the "components" are already an issue.

Reactions
So I assume once I turn it off it will just revert to manually opening and closing and that won't damage any components? Granted the "components" are already an issue.
I turned it off for a short time and while you can open the hatch manually it is very hard to open and close by hand.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I turned it off for a short time and while you can open the hatch manually it is very hard to open and close by hand.
Yep, just tested that out. No hand mounts to grab and hard to open and close. Guess I will have to show the issue to the service tech in person next time I go in for service. However, after reading multiple forums and posts, no real clear cut solution from what I have seen.

Reactions
Yep, just tested that out. No hand mounts to grab and hard to open and close. Guess I will have to show the issue to the service tech in person next time I go in for service. However, after reading multiple forums and posts, no real clear cut solution from what I have seen.
Someome here posted a method of removing the foot sensor to eliminate the accidental opening and closing by the sensor. I think I will eventually do that work once warranty is done. I also read somewhere that another had a ghost in the system that was caused by a really faulty sensor and they had it replaced and it operated better afterwards. For some reason when I hook up a trailer, my foot sensor acts up. Otherwise it works as intended off and on like others have described. Good luck.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I looked under the back bumper for the foot sensor and didn't see anything. Does anyone know where that's at?

Reactions
Pfft sorry nothing, I’m just glad it stuck in somebody’s mind!
Like I said, I will be following your instructions to remove mine sometime in the future.

Reactions