Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liftgate Driving Me Insane....

Reactions
Mine used to open randomly when I walked past it, upgrading to latest version of sync seemed to have fixed it. It's been 7 months plus and hasn't happened again.

Reactions
Mine is similarly haunted. It has opened by itself when I’m in the house and the fob is on the table. Sometimes it won’t open or close with the fob, dash switch or under hatch foot swipe. I will just do it manually and in a couple of days, plus or minus, it functions normally again.
It is often accompanied by the drivers window not working expressly as it should. It goes to fully closed then opens again to about 25%. With a little finesse I can close it manually to keep out the elements. No luck with service so far.

Reactions
Mine is similarly haunted. It has opened by itself when I’m in the house and the fob is on the table. Sometimes it won’t open or close with the fob, dash switch or under hatch foot swipe. I will just do it manually and in a couple of days, plus or minus, it functions normally again.
It is often accompanied by the drivers window not working expressly as it should. It goes to fully closed then opens again to about 25%. With a little finesse I can close it manually to keep out the elements. No luck with service so far.
I had all the same symptoms and unplugging the rear hatch sensor cable fixed them all.

I have no idea why it works but the dealer was minimal help with a backordered rear camera and not seeing the window or hatch issues when they looked.

Follow KNTRDRs well pictured post above and unplug it and see what happens. Takes minutes.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Last week I parked at a restaurant. Before going in I turned to see the car was locked with the mirrors folded in and the tailgate was closed. I always keep my key fob in a small metal can in my pocket when I am not driving so no signals can come from it. When I came out the tailgate was open. It truly did that on its own. The car was still locked.
I believe I have determined the problem. I keep my key fobs in small metal cases designed for key fobs. I am a retired electrical engineer with RF experience. These are quality black cans with large overlaps on the cover. They should block everything. I keep one of them hidden in the rear of the car for an emergency spare I can get to with the door keypad. Today I did a foot kick under the bumper with my usual key still back in the house. The lift gate activated. I repeated it a minute later. I removed the spare key fob can from the rear and found the gate will activate if that can is near the bumper. (However it will not allow the side doors to unlock when near them). Evidently the can is conducting the RF. So my fix is to just not keep a spare in the car. I assume at the restaurant an animal walked under the car. The spare is a habit I have had for years on other Fords with the door keypad, but none of those had Intelligent Access keys.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What would happen if you hid the extra fob/can at the front of the passenger cabin, behind the fuse panel cover for example?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Would probably work since it does not seem to open the side doors, but right now I just don't trust it. I plan to do some more research on it.

Reactions
What would happen if you hid the extra fob/can at the front of the passenger cabin, behind the fuse panel cover for example?
Or just place it in the key fob holder in the center console?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I am actually satisfied with not having a spare in the car. In all my years I have never had a need for it. Just an old habit. From here out it just becomes an engineering experiment to research.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have a different problem. Mine won't close. The hatch will start to go down and the the horn honks twice and it goes back up.

Also, I don't even think mine has the feature my old explorer had under the bumper to waive foot and open.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I have a different problem. Mine won't close. The hatch will start to go down and the the horn honks twice and it goes back up.

Also, I don't even think mine has the feature my old explorer had under the bumper to waive foot and open.
Is yours a fairly new one? Ford eliminated the foot wave feature from recent builds due to chip shortage.

Also, the feature only came with the 401A package.

Last edited:
OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
Followed the steps and issue has been remediated. Going to keep testing it out to see how it goes over the next few days.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did the plug removal trick. Does anyone get a code when they check with Forscan?
C382552D-A037-4594-8059-D06194072C9F.jpeg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is it showing up on the dashboard or just when you scan?
no dashboard lights. just scan. not a big deal, just wondering.