Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

JACK POINTS

Reactions
And where would you place the jack stands? I haven't gotten under mine yet, but lifting is only half the battle....
If you look at the bottom of the rocker panel immediately behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels you will find (Triangle) arrow. This is the location on the pinch weld where you place your lift jack.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
A pair of the slotted “hockey pucks” work extremely well for lifting on pinch welds without marring. Having said that I’m of the opinion that the hard ones work better than the softer material ones. The soft ones tend to wander in the jack cradle.

Reactions
A pair of the slotted “hockey pucks” work extremely well for lifting on pinch welds without marring. Having said that I’m of the opinion that the hard ones work better than the softer material ones. The soft ones tend to wander in the jack cradle.

I have used this and I love it! Just be careful you don’t forget it because it has a strong magnet!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078J55SBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_44tZFbPWQ753S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Those look like the ones I use but mine are not magnetic, just hard rubber (polyurethane).

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Have to correct my last statement. Amazon showed a different picture this morning. Mine look nothing like those magnetic ones.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Anybody have a recommendation on a jack puck that they have used. I want to make sure I get one that won't bend the seam.

Reactions
Anybody have a recommendation on a jack puck that they have used. I want to make sure I get one that won't bend the seam.
Amazon

POTAUTO Universal Aluminum Grooved Magnetic Jack Pad Jacking Puck Pinch Weld (0.39) Inch Frame Rail Adapter (Qty 1, Red)

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
And where would you place the jack stands? I haven't gotten under mine yet, but lifting is only half the battle....

Anyone figure this out yet? I use this to Jack it up in the properly designated locations but not sure where to place front Jack stand. I raise both wheels on one side off the ground using just the front jacking point. I place a Jack stand with a pinch weld protector under the rear designated jacking location but don’t know where to put the front Jack stand since that place is occupied by the Jack. I think I know where it should go but want to make sure. I want to remove both wheels on one side and ceramic coat them. I would like to leave the ST outside on the stands while the ceramic coating cures overnight in the garage. I also plan to clean the wheel wells and ceramic coat the red calipers. Any thoughts or recommendations on where to put the front Jack stand would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Good question. I'm sure one of the members have figured this out.

Reactions
My dealer keeps damaging that plastic part near the lift point every time I go in for oil change. He says, the plastic is so flush to the lift point, they have tried everything but it is impossible to avoid it with the lift equipment they have. The supervisor did say that if it ever cracked or broke etc., they will replace it under warranty because he is confident it wouldn't crack. Fingers crossed. I love this service place, they are awesome in every way with all the Ford vehicles I have had. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

Reactions
My dealer keeps damaging that plastic part near the lift point every time I go in for oil change. He says, the plastic is so flush to the lift point, they have tried everything but it is impossible to avoid it with the lift equipment they have. The supervisor did say that if it ever cracked or broke etc., they will replace it under warranty because he is confident it wouldn't crack. Fingers crossed. I love this service place, they are awesome in every way with all the Ford vehicles I have had. I would appreciate your thoughts.
So a Ford dealer damages the plastic because there hoist isn't set up right to lift a Ford vehicle? They would be replacing the plastic every time on my vehicle, it's not my problem that Ford made it this way or the Ford shop doesn't figure out a way to lift the vehicle with out doing damage. Sounds like a typical service department bull answer to avoid fixing the issue.

I bet that as soon as your warranty period has expired so will there memory of fixing the trim and you will be footing the bill.

Reactions
So a Ford dealer damages the plastic because there hoist isn't set up right to lift a Ford vehicle? They would be replacing the plastic every time on my vehicle, it's not my problem that Ford made it this way or the Ford shop doesn't figure out a way to lift the vehicle with out doing damage. Sounds like a typical service department bull answer to avoid fixing the issue.

I bet that as soon as your warranty period has expired so will there memory of fixing the trim and you will be footing the bill.
It is a proper Ford/Lincoln dealer. I have been using their service for years. As of now it is just a mark on the plastic trim so I am worried that if I ask them to change it, they will put a zillion scratches on the paint and give it back. I have told them and showed it to them, let's see how they lift it next time. They don't have the regular circular pad kind of lift, they have a different kind of one where it is like a 2 sided clamp/claw where it prevents the car from sliding out.

Also, I have done 2 oil changes till now and I did Not notice this damage after the first oil change so I think it is just the tech guy that did it this time who was Not careful. Let me see how they do it next time and will tell them to watch how they lift it.

Last edited:
Reactions
Making me a little nervous. Guess when it's time for a tire rotation and oil change I'll talk to them prior to starting the work about this issue. Total BS that they don't have the proper equipment.

Reactions
Making me a little nervous. Guess when it's time for a tire rotation and oil change I'll talk to them prior to starting the work about this issue. Total BS that they don't have the proper equipment.
I know, it is pathetic. I am also going to talk to them every time I go in and they have to lift the vehicle just to make sure they don't cause further damage.

2TonB

Reactions
So no one uses jack stands to secure the car after it has been jacked up? 2 people asked in the post so far.
I have looked under the car and dont see a nice spot to place the jack stands. I am going to be replacing my springs and really would feel better (safer) with jack stands under the car. I ordered the puck thing and am not sure how secure that will be when I wrenching on some of those bolts.

Reactions
So no one uses jack stands to secure the car after it has been jacked up? 2 people asked in the post so far.
I have looked under the car and dont see a nice spot to place the jack stands. I am going to be replacing my springs and really would feel better (safer) with jack stands under the car. I ordered the puck thing and am not sure how secure that will be when I wrenching on some of those bolts.
When I did rear sway bar I used the following that I picked up to use with jack stands, they aren't perfect, but worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMSZ98B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GTP

Reactions
This post has a photo of where I put my jack stands at the rear.

There is a sub frame at the front, inboard from the pinch welds, and rearward of the tire. I place a jack stand across this frame. The jack head orientation is lateral. Sorry, no photo at this time.

So, I jack up one corner at a time at the official pinch weld slot, and using a small-ish slotted rubber jack pad, and place that jack stand. Then I go to the next spot on the same side of the vehicle. Then I move to the opposite side of the car.

I wish someone made jacking rails for our cars.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So my ST just went to the dealer for warranty repair and out it comes with damage near the rear lift points. See attached. Service manager informed me that he would have his body shop fix it, but I am not sure it is an easy repair. IMG_20210725_101007867.jpg IMG_20210725_100212721_MP.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
^^^
Utter incompetence.

Good heavens, you'd expect a place that lifts these vehicles all day long would have some idea as to what's going on. Any Dealer that is lifting these vehicles should be required to have the pinch weld adapter in their shop.

I think many of us that own these vehicles have made a minor investment so that we can easily/safely lift our vehicle with a floor jack. Why wouldn't a dealer?

I do think that the damage pictured is something that can be easily straightened out and fortunately it's not in a place where you'll notice the paint.

Last edited: