Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I've got a Check Engine Light

Reactions
FordPass says it's regulatory and has to do with the exhaust gases. Is this the recall I've heard about or something more sinister?

Reactions
FordPass says it's regulatory and has to do with the exhaust gases. Is this the recall I've heard about or something more sinister?
I had an open recall on the left cat and Ford replaced them both due to both being cracked. I never had a check engine light nor any notifications through Ford pass and could smell exhaust fumes in the cabin. You may be dealing with something more serious but take it into Ford to see what they say. Curious to see what they tell you so keep us posted.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I had an open recall on the left cat and Ford replaced them both due to both being cracked. I never had a check engine light nor any notifications through Ford pass and could smell exhaust fumes in the cabin. You may be dealing with something more serious but take it into Ford to see what they say. Curious to see what they tell you so keep us posted.
Yeah I'm just praying it doesn't have anything to do with the tune.

hbalek

Reactions
Yeah I'm just praying it doesn't have anything to do with the tune.
I had a check engine light when I had only about 2000 miles on it. They reprogrammed the PCM and it never happened again. Now I have over 26,000 miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just got the same MIL Light for Regulatory Emissions and checked the system and found code P0496, evap emission high purge flow. I think it’s the purge valve starting to stick open . After filling up with gas, the vehicle has a hard time starting, just takes longer to start. Picture is attached for reference if it helps anyone. Now, I need to find out where this valve is located so I can swap it out. CC9A56D3-A451-4EB6-9F88-E599CEAFBBA1.jpeg 5B580C48-C842-4A2D-B502-DB62A846AFD4.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Update for you guys on the Purge Valve. Yesterday my Neighbor and I checked the valve using his Ford computer, he is a tech at the dealership, and found the valve is bad… stuck open. We had to remove it to be able to get the correct part number as the part Ford lists is only a hose and not the valve assembly. I have attached two pictures, one is the valve I ordered which has the correct part number and the second photo is where the valve is located on the engine. It is a pain in the rear to access but not impossible. The part number is the important thing, if you need this valve and the dealership or repair shop is going to order it give them the number in the picture, and Yes, it is a Ford part number. The part location is where my light is illuminating FYI. Hope this helps AF9C69A5-D62E-41D2-872D-AC641586D72C.jpeg image.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Update for you guys on the Purge Valve. Yesterday my Neighbor and I checked the valve using his Ford computer, he is a tech at the dealership, and found the valve is bad… stuck open. We had to remove it to be able to get the correct part number as the part Ford lists is only a hose and not the valve assembly. I have attached two pictures, one is the valve I ordered which has the correct part number and the second photo is where the valve is located on the engine. It is a pain in the rear to access but not impossible. The part number is the important thing, if you need this valve and the dealership or repair shop is going to order it give them the number in the picture, and Yes, it is a Ford part number. The part location is where my light is illuminating FYI. Hope this helps View attachment 11782 View attachment 11783
Good to know. On the other hand, myself being a competent operator of firearms, if this is how you use the flashlight you are just increasing unnecessary risks for a negligent discharge. I am sure you could have found something better to use.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@Big Dummy, Just a side note, the Pig Nose on the end of that Glock can be easily fixed if it is an eyesore to the owner. It does not cause operational issues.

Glock Pig Nose:
Where the bottom of the slide is no longer parallel with the top of the frame, this is where the polymer frame has warped upwards at the end. This happens during the manufacturing process and the way some frames were cooled. Glock has updated the manufacturing process since this pistol was made.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Peterfor, you are correct on safety, although chamber was clear and empty mag… I just had it on the bench ready to clean and needed a light to show the valve, my overhead garage lights are lackluster on output.
Gearhead… thank you for that info, it has kinda bugged me but overall, it fires flawlessly and I have put at least 300-400 rounds through it.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
You could illuminate your engine bay with the blast from a Mosin... while standing on your neighbors roof across the street...

Mosin1ah.PNG

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You could illuminate your engine bay with the blast from a Mosin... while standing on your neighbors roof across the street...

View attachment 11790
Will Nancy Pelosi Let you have any thing brighter than a Bic? Sorry but I don't like her. 1650761801859.png

Reactions
Took my 2020 w/ new factory cats (recall & warranty) k&n drop in, magnaflo ( replaced because ford wouldn't warranty cracked exhaust) otherwise stock to Penske Ford in San Diego for evap codes. They cleared the code said it was a "fluke". Code is back up w/ ✔️ engine light. Evap valve stuck open, not covered by Ford or my extended warranty through Penske Ford.
Going to small claims.
Did I mention my transmission and brakes?

Attachments

Reactions
Good to know. On the other hand, myself being a competent operator of firearms, if this is how you use the flashlight you are just increasing unnecessary risks for a negligent discharge. I am sure you could have found something better to use.
Dude, first read I'm thinking WTH, why so critical, went back for a second look....coffee out the nose. Thank you for the first laugh on this Monday

John B

Reactions
Update for you guys on the Purge Valve. Yesterday my Neighbor and I checked the valve using his Ford computer, he is a tech at the dealership, and found the valve is bad… stuck open. We had to remove it to be able to get the correct part number as the part Ford lists is only a hose and not the valve assembly. I have attached two pictures, one is the valve I ordered which has the correct part number and the second photo is where the valve is located on the engine. It is a pain in the rear to access but not impossible. The part number is the important thing, if you need this valve and the dealership or repair shop is going to order it give them the number in the picture, and Yes, it is a Ford part number. The part location is where my light is illuminating FYI. Hope this helps View attachment 11782 View attachment 11783

John B

Reactions
I posted on another feed with same code issue P0496. Here are my pics…was not that hard to replace. The front 2 connections are very accessible - back 2 require bit of work. I removed the 4 bracket bolts (red arrows in picture) and was able to work my way to the other 2 connections and remove/replace the part pictured. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
The P0496 just popped up in my ST and it only has 19,700 miles on it. Good thing is, my three years is up this June. Considering the location. Maybe it is easier to drop it off and let them do it. However, I may attempt it. I hate leaving my baby at the dealership. The last time she was there. Had the rear camera replaced along with the PCIM and they had it for a week and a half!! Lack of warm bodies to work on them. so they say!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I was just able to get one
GL3Z-9B325-B
from amazon for 24 bucks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I posted on another feed with same code issue P0496. Here are my pics…was not that hard to replace. The front 2 connections are very accessible - back 2 require bit of work. I removed the 4 bracket bolts (red arrows in picture) and was able to work my way to the other 2 connections and remove/replace the part pictured. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the picture with the arrows. i too, had to take the 4 bolts off. i am currently stuck getting the last green clip off in the back that is holding the tube.

Reactions
The P0496 just popped up in my ST and it only has 19,700 miles on it. Good thing is, my three years is up this June. Considering the location. Maybe it is easier to drop it off and let them do it. However, I may attempt it. I hate leaving my baby at the dealership. The last time she was there. Had the rear camera replaced along with the PCIM and they had it for a week and a half!! Lack of warm bodies to work on them. so they say!
My evap purge valve is stuck also, and just out of warranty period. Dealership want nearly $1k to replace it. Ridiculous, going to attempt myself!