Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I've got a Check Engine Light

Reactions
I posted on another feed with same code issue P0496. Here are my pics…was not that hard to replace. The front 2 connections are very accessible - back 2 require bit of work. I removed the 4 bracket bolts (red arrows in picture) and was able to work my way to the other 2 connections and remove/replace the part pictured. Hope this helps.
Thanks again for this, really helpful. I tackled this today using the same Dorman replacement, you can find them on ebay for around $50 -- PN# 994-073. Took me about 2 hours give or take. The tough part is getting the right angle on the back 2 connectors for sure, was definitely resting my body on the front strut bar as you need to get way up in there. Now that I know how exactly to get the connectors off (the green 'lock' one is a PITA), i could probably do it quicker.

- The key thing is that there is a 'perch' that the rear solenoid/valve rests on that prevents it from moving around. If you pull up at the rear of the purge assembly, you can detach it, so that the assembly can rotate freely, making it easier to get at and undo the 2 rear connections.
- If you want to attempt it without disconnecting the lines running across the top, after getting the 4 bolts out to loosen those metal brackets holding the lines, you need one hand on top to push the top green tab up and one hand going around bottom to push the bottom tab at the same time, while pushing down hard to back out the green 'lock washer' thing. You can practice on the front green 'lock washer' to get a feel for how it unlocks.
-If you have larger hands or are having trouble with the rear connections, you will probably need to disconnect the top coolant lines that are in the way (make sure to have a cup or something handy to catch the coolant that drains out). These connections can be undone with a flathead screwdriver to pry open the locking tabs. It will probably be much easier to undo the rear connections once those lines are out of the way.

Then I cleared the check engine codes with my tuner and it was gone. If you aren't mechanically inclined you could probably take it to a local guy for cheaper if you supply the part.

Redhead

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you. I replaced my purge valve today and this helped greatly. Saved me $700, that was the quote from dealership. Definitely tight quarters on the back half of this part. You must remain calm and be patient. Thanks again

E-Fortes

Reactions
Update for you guys on the Purge Valve. Yesterday my Neighbor and I checked the valve using his Ford computer, he is a tech at the dealership, and found the valve is bad… stuck open. We had to remove it to be able to get the correct part number as the part Ford lists is only a hose and not the valve assembly. I have attached two pictures, one is the valve I ordered which has the correct part number and the second photo is where the valve is located on the engine. It is a pain in the rear to access but not impossible. The part number is the important thing, if you need this valve and the dealership or repair shop is going to order it give them the number in the picture, and Yes, it is a Ford part number. The part location is where my light is illuminating FYI. Hope this helps View attachment 11782 View attachment 11783
Excellent...
Same problem in my 2021 ST
Thank you!

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks everyone for this info. Keeping this in mind for the future as it seems ford likes to provide shotty parts on many of their newer models.

mdstylee5446

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I replaced it… hasn’t fixed the code.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have you used a scanner to reset the code or erase it? Also, it can take a few drive cycles to clear it if you do not use a scan tool to clear

mdstylee5446

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I don’t have a scanner… I disconnected the battery. I heard that would clear it as well. No?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m not sure about that, drive it for a few miles and should clear. If you have a tuning device, HP Tuner or Ngauge ect you can clear diagnostic codes or just have advance auto clear it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All that said assuming that was the only issue.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I believe the light will go off after three start, warm up, shut down, cool down cycles without the error occurring under normal conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyro_1284

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I replaced my purge valve with an aftermarket brand and it failed 3-4 days later. I replaced with OEM part and solved my issue. Just sharing my experience here.