Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interceptor amber DRL's on Explorer St

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
So by changing this we’ll disable the white DRL and only enable the amber as DRL?

Everything else at night remains stock?
That's correct.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Unfortunately, I couldn't configure the turn signals to work properly when the headlights are on, like you tested a while back. The only think I got was the white light staying off during the day like i pictured above. The highlighted part is what I changed.

View attachment 16994
Confirmed works! Thank you i8iridium! Curious how you figured that out...

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Confirmed works! Thank you i8iridium! Curious how you figured that out...
Smarter folks than me putting together spreadsheets with everything. This is from the 2021+ F150. The 2020+ Explorers share the same BodyCM format. I picked out all the parts for enabling the handsfree liftgate as well, just need to get the module. That'll be another thread for another time.

https://www.f150forum.com/f129/forscan-14th-gen-f150s-481816/

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Smarter folks than me putting together spreadsheets with everything. This is from the 2021+ F150. The 2020+ Explorers share the same BodyCM format. I picked out all the parts for enabling the handsfree liftgate as well, just need to get the module. That'll be another thread for another time.

https://www.f150forum.com/f129/forscan-14th-gen-f150s-481816/
Thank you again for this find, it’s so much better with the amber. Looks mean AF!

Sruli770

Reactions
Vehicle
2008 ford Crown victoria
Not that I know of. DRL's are only meant to be on while driving for most vehicles. If the turn signal function worked as intended with the "DRL, Turn, and on position" it would stay on, but that's the mystery right now as how to get that to function properly.
What would happen if you unplugged the regulat DRL's section of the headlight?

smiley1325

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
New guy here! New to this Gen of Explorer, but definitely not new to Forscan.

@Ghost117 - The change you need is in the module config AS-BUILT part of the BdyCM. They don't have it built into the plain text yet. The change you're looking for is the following:

726-42-01 x4x4 xxxx xxXX - Sets the White DRL to fixed position, meaning they're dim when the headlight is on, and off when the car is in normal drive mode, daytime.

726-43-01 x1x1 xxxx xxXX - Sets Turn to Turn and DRL. Pic below. It's shown with the car in N and a flashlight on the light sensor to keep the headlights off.

Not sure of your familiarity with editing the AS-BUILT, but the little x means just leave the value as is, and big X is the checksum. It'll give you an error that it doesn't match, but It'll fix it when you write.

As always, BACK UP your stock config first!

View attachment 16979
Any suggestions on troubleshooting getting the white strip to turn off? I adjusted line 726-42-01 like you mentioned and it didn't work unfortunately

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Any suggestions on troubleshooting getting the white strip to turn off? I adjusted line 726-42-01 like you mentioned and it didn't work unfortunately
You have to make both changes in Forscan. Not just one.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was not going try this, but I saw one white Explorer on the road yesterday, and it actually looks great. One more reason to invest in forscan adaptor.

Any potential issues to the LEDs because of continuous use, rather than just as a blinkers?

That's again to all tech wizards..

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I've seen an Explorer with Purple DRLs, couldn't you just tint them amber they way I assume they did? That way they for sure keep the factory purpose.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Base and 2021 Explorer XLT
Do what KJRichard said first, make sure you've made necessary changes to lines 42-01 AND 43-01. I made both changes and still had the white DRL on.

If after making changes to 42 and 43, white DRL are still on, then try adjusting 726-38-01 to xxxx 00xx XX. Likely that value is 0A = 10% brightness when DRL is on during daytime. Adjusting that value to 00= 0% brightness when DRL is on during daytime. I had the same issue and was able to correct it with that change.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Wow its cool you guys figured out how to do this. Could anyone provide some photos of them not up close? Maybe a 15 FT away shot? If its in a Star White ST you get double points. Curious to see how the look a little further away.

Barman611

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer XLT
First off, thank you to everyone in this forum for all their great advice. Even though I just made an account, I have been following this thread since the start. I currently have the forscan version with DRL strip and turn signals that was described earlier in the thread. I am excited to try this new way of doing things that i8iridum found (thanks!). I do have a question that’s in a similar vein - has anyone tried changing the parking lights from the DRL strip to the amber turn signals? That way when the knob was switched from auto headlights to parking lights, just the amber lights would come on and not the white DRL strip. Basically trying to recreate the interceptor parking lights.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Wow its cool you guys figured out how to do this. Could anyone provide some photos of them not up close? Maybe a 15 FT away shot? If its in a Star White ST you get double points. Curious to see how the look a little further away.

Attachments

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
First off, thank you to everyone in this forum for all their great advice. Even though I just made an account, I have been following this thread since the start. I currently have the forscan version with DRL strip and turn signals that was described earlier in the thread. I am excited to try this new way of doing things that i8iridum found (thanks!). I do have a question that’s in a similar vein - has anyone tried changing the parking lights from the DRL strip to the amber turn signals? That way when the knob was switched from auto headlights to parking lights, just the amber lights would come on and not the white DRL strip. Basically trying to recreate the interceptor parking lights.

Thanks everyone!
They are two different strips of LEDs. The white has two levels, light and dim. The Amber is only one level. A few people including myself have tried to have the amber come on as parking lights and DRLs, but then you lose the turn signal functionality.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
They are two different strips of LEDs. The white has two levels, light and dim. The Amber is only one level. A few people including myself have tried to have the amber come on as parking lights and DRLs, but then you lose the turn signal functionality.
I tired this few times and I was not successful in getting it to work as Amber DRL.
I kind of lost the white DRLs after making the change, and then I reverted back.
Will try again.

Barman611

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer XLT
Thank you for the info. I don't mind losing the DRL, my preference would be just the parking lights. I wonder if the interceptor headlights would fit in the civilian models without causing too much of an issue?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thank you for the info. I don't mind losing the DRL, my preference would be just the parking lights. I wonder if the interceptor headlights would fit in the civilian models without causing too much of an issue?
I know I would be interested in seeing that too. Plus they are blacked out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I tired this few times and I was not successful in getting it to work as Amber DRL.
I kind of lost the white DRLs after making the change, and then I reverted back.
Will try again.
Finally I was able to make it work. Thank you to everyone here and other ford forums.

Amber DRLs.jpg

Details in the build thread.

Explorer ST Posts