Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Ethanol Sensor Installation

OP
twin001
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
Finally got the fuel-it working. How are y’all getting through the firewall? Currently have a hack job in the engine bay fuse box
I went through the pass-through just behind and below the fuse box on the driver side....and it was a bitch. That was the only difficult part of the install. I believe there is a pass through on the passenger side that has much better access, near the glovebox area I think. Just get an old metal coat hanger and tape your wires to the end of that, then punch through the bulkhead grommet.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Finally got the fuel-it working. How are y’all getting through the firewall? Currently have a hack job in the engine bay fuse box
there wasnt any reason to go through the firewall into the cabin. I just drilled a small hole into the area for the engine bay fuse box area and tapped into that. I added a rubber O ring to clean up and protech the hole.

OP
twin001
Reactions
Thread Starter #43
there wasnt any reason to go through the firewall into the cabin. I just drilled a small hole into the area for the engine bay fuse box area and tapped into that. I added a rubber O ring to clean up and protech the hole.
you are right, I missed where he said he was using the Fuel-It sensor. No need to go through the firewall, just tap into the FB on the driver side. I am using an Innovate MTX-D gauge, so I had to run wires through the firewall.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks guys. Probably just drill a hole in the engine bay fuse box for now. Preferred going through the firewall to have a nice tidy place to stuff all the excess harness. Where is a good ground point near the fuse box? The ground on the harness is a little circle that can fit over a screw or bolt, it fit inside a ground point near the strut tower. Temporary solution, looks awful.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thanks guys. Probably just drill a hole in the engine bay fuse box for now. Preferred going through the firewall to have a nice tidy place to stuff all the excess harness. Where is a good ground point near the fuse box? The ground on the harness is a little circle that can fit over a screw or bolt, it fit inside a ground point near the strut tower. Temporary solution, looks awful.

there is a bolt for a small support that is right inside the panel towards the passenger side of the fuse box. its a 10mm bolt you can use as a grounding point.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
there is a bolt for a small support that is right inside the panel towards the passenger side of the fuse box. its a 10mm bolt you can use as a grounding point.
Found it. Swear that wasn't there the first time I looked ... :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Great writeup! I installed my custom gauge today. I can't stress enough to unhook the battery. For whatever reason these cars do a lot of activities when turned off and most of them will energize the fuel line. You can guess what happens if the fuel line is unhooked when it does this. Don't ask how I know.:rolleyes:

Attachments

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Great writeup! I installed my custom gauge today. I can't stress enough to unhook the battery. For whatever reason these cars do a lot of activities when turned off and most of them will energize the fuel line. You can guess what happens if the fuel line is unhooked when it does this. Don't ask how I know.:rolleyes:
It got me too… what a mess

KoolAl44

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The design is different from your as of today's date. The ends no longer have the blue snaps. I'll get a picture od them tomorrow to show. But running the line through the firewall behind the fuse box wasn't really all that hard with a fish line. Gauge is up and running all I need to do now is hook the fuel line up and she's ready for E50

brojam81

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm having trouble getting my Fuel-It! Bluetooth to work. I've tried tapping into quite a few fuses in the Drivers side engine FB and nothing seemed to work. What fuse did you guys end up taping into and can you show me in the picture? I've circled where I have my ground connected.

I did a test connecting it to the inside fuse box (Fuse #37) under the steering wheel. It worked for a few seconds, then was disconnected. I haven't been able to connect since.

Attachments