Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Ethanol Sensor Installation

Reactions
I'm wondering why my fusebox looks completely different than yours. Is the one pictured on the driver side of engine bay or is that inside the vehicle?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I'm wondering why my fusebox looks completely different than yours. Is the one pictured on the driver side of engine bay or is that inside the vehicle?
It’s the one in the inside .. left of steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
It’s the one in the inside .. left of steering column.

Thanks, that's what I figured. My sensor connects to phone thru bluetooth so no need to run a wire thru firewall. I'll just have to make my tap for voltage.

OP
twin001
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Thanks, that's what I figured. My sensor connects to phone thru bluetooth so no need to run a wire thru firewall. I'll just have to make my tap for voltage.
There are plenty of sources in the driver side engine bay fuse box.

Reactions
You got a brand of add a tap that fits those tiny fuses? I have yet to find one that size at multiple auto parts stores. I'm not into just jamming a wire down hillbilly style.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Reactions
I really didn't feel like regularly measuring the ethanol content at the pump. I know the e50 tune from ZFG can handle e40 to e60, which is easy to calculate for a single tank. My biggest concern was spiraling to one end of the spectrum due to inconsistent ethanol contents at various pumps after refilling over and over. Installing an ethanol sensor is the best way to accurately monitor the actual ethanol in the tank. If it starts to drift lower than e50 then I'll just add a bit more e85 next fill.

I went with the Innovate MTX-D ethanol gauge with sensor kit. Another option here is the Fuel-It bluetooth sensor kit. I was shopping around for the fittings when I saw Brett at FenFab had created his own ethanol sensor installation kit. His kit came with the hose and fittings already assembled, ethanol sensor, harness, mounting bracket, spacer/bolt, and a few zip ties. I also bought an Autometer 2236 single gauge pod to mount the gauge inside the forward center console. Fuse terminal #37 (upper RH fuse) is a switched fuse spot that I tapped in for the 12v source. Time for the dogs and I to install! (NOTE: Edit post to correct fuse terminal number).

View attachment 7819

First, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Also, remove the strut tower brace for better clearance. Locate the low pressure disconnect on the upper driver-side of the engine bay. The goal is to disconnect this junction and install the sensor in between to measure the ethanol (or lack of gasoline) in the fuel flow.
View attachment 7820

You will need to lift the fuel line out of the bracket shown
View attachment 7821

Place some old rags/towels under the disconnect spot to catch any fuel that spills out of the line. Use a Ford fuel removal tool to disconnect the lines. I believe this was a 5/16. A little pulling, pushing, twisting, and cussing will do the trick.
View attachment 7822

Route the new sensor line back near the firewall, connect to the male side of the OEM fuel line. Make sure your fittings are tight!
View attachment 7823

The ethanol sensor will be positioned at the upper back part of the engine, near the firewall. You will need to re-route the OEM female fuel line up here to connect to the new ethanol sensor. NOTE: The sensors from Innovate and from FenFab have pretty short tubes. Once the fittings were connected I was unable to get the disconnect tool back in there. I believe Continental has a sensor with longer tubes. The OEM retaining clip does not reinstall either. I noted the routing of the new fuel line with a red line below.

View attachment 7824

There are a few 10mm bolts you can use to install the mounting bracket. I used this one. Be careful to not drop anything in the engine bay! To get a little more clearance (height on bracket) I reused the OEM washer in conjunction with the FenFab spacer that is provided.
View attachment 7825

Tighten down bracket and attach harness. I am going to route this through a pass through one day, but for now it's just routed under the cover. I was getting hangry. Reconnect battery terminal, start car, check for leaks. For the gauge, I passed the wiring through the hood release grommet. It was a bit of a bitch, but got it done. The 12v power to the gauge also powers the ethanol sensor, so no need for power to this actual sensor.

View attachment 7826

Add-A-Circuit on Fuse #37, upper RH most fuse
View attachment 8464
Where did you find that kit on FenFab's website. I just tried looking for it and I can't find it.

Reactions
OP
twin001
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Where did you find that kit on FenFab's website. I just tried looking for it and I can't find it.
Send Brett a message, not on his website. Its def worth it.

Reactions
Have the Fuel It to install. I see a number of places I can tap in the engine compartment fuse box. Where have people been attaching the ground?

Reactions
Is the ground in the fuse box just attaching to one of these screw locations?

1653078881471.png

Reactions

waparson

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I don't run the fenfab kit, but if the picture of his kit contents in picture 1 is correct, then yes that is all you need in addition to his kit.
Thank you!

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can I mount the sensor without the spacer? Not sure why it's needed/included in the kit. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I see what's going on now with the bracket.

Last edited:
OP
twin001
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
Can I mount the sensor without the spacer? Not sure why it's needed/included in the kit. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I see what's going on now with the bracket.
Not sure why you wouldn't want to install the spacer. I'll have to double check but IIRC it is required to clear the two heater lines.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I personally didnt place my line on the 2 heater lines and suspended it from a bracket I made and attached it to the post hole that is circled below.

2020-Ford-Explorer-30-679x453.jpg

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Finally got the fuel-it working. How are y’all getting through the firewall? Currently have a hack job in the engine bay fuse box