Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Adding Hands Free Liftgate Late '22 and '23 explorer.

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I wasn't sure if this was the best spot for the thread, but here it is. I know it's not everyone's preference to add it, and a lot of folks hate it. It's cool, we get it. Let's keep that chatter out of here.

It took a bit of work getting between the bumper cover, but I ended up swapping the module by just removing one of the rivets and shoving a short piece of 2x4 to create a gap. There was barely enough space to get my hand in there. The workshop manual details removing the entire rear bumper cover, but I wasn't doing that. You can see what I'm talking about if you look under the back passenger side corner of the bumper. Pics will be below. I swapped out the "dummy" module with the one i got from ebay and.

The part number I got was from a 2021 Explorer off eBay. Jx7t14f679aa You can look on Tasca and some of the other parts sites, but they're all on back order, so eBay is probably your best bet. The module from Expeditions, Edges, and Escapes should work, but you're on your own for testing them.

The mods I had to make in forscan are below. I had to edit the as-built code, as there is no easy config for this. This won't be a lesson on Forscan. There's a billion resources out there to learn how to use this tool, and I suggest you be familiar with it before changing values.

Back up your stock config!

BodyCM: Note: Don't change values with an "x". The values with "--" are checksums that Forscan will fix for you.
726-36-01 x1xx xxxx xx--
726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx-- <-- This might be a trial and error. I found some early '22 explorers with a 05. That didn't work on mine and I used 04 based on a '21 explorer.
726-59-02 xxxx xxx2 xx--
726-65-02 xxxx xxxx x1--
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 x1--
Write each change after modification using the button next to it.

Note: If your explorer came with hands free and you want to disable it, change the values above to 0. Remember, don't touch the "x".

IPC:
Easy Config, search for hands, and you'll see handsfree pop up. Change to enable. This optional, since it worked with it disabled. I wanted to keep it consistent.
IPC.jpg

Finally, you might have to run the "BdyCM Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration" under the wrench in forscan. I did not. It won't hurt to do it anyway. Since it's a new module on the LIN Bus, the Body Control Module needs to learn that it exists.

BdyCM Lin.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg
Don't order this module, it's the DUMMY LOL
IMG_2115.jpg

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
...two killer contributions. KUDOS.

gofishn

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Well Done
but I got to say:

I HATE THAT FEATURE!!!
Darn Gate gets me, all teh time
Forget she has it, on her Explorer. Go to load up her WUilt crap, arms full past my chin and Yee-Owl. that hurt

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well Done
but I got to say:

I HATE THAT FEATURE!!!
Forget she has it, on her Explorer. Go to load up her WUilt crap, arms full past my chin and Yee-Owl. that hurt
you accidentally kicked your foot just right under the bumper to activate the gate lift? Seems strange. It’s such a great feature.

I’m glad to see that there’s a solution for the 22-23!

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Well Done
but I got to say:

I HATE THAT FEATURE!!!
Well, you can use my procedure to disable it. ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thank you [mention]i8iridium [/mention]for posting this! I’m sorry that some didn’t read your one request about keeping the like/dislike chatter out of this thread. I would like to add this to my 22, and will use this guide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes, I thank you also. I will be using it. Ordered an expedition module on ebay. Here next week.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The mods I had to make in forscan are below. I had to edit the as-built code, as there is no easy config for this. This won't be a lesson on Forscan. There's a billion resources out there to learn how to use this tool, and I suggest you be familiar with it before changing values.

Back up your stock config!

BodyCM: Note: Don't change values with an "x". The values with "--" are checksums that Forscan will fix for you.
726-36-01 x1xx xxxx xx--
726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx-- <-- This might be a trial and error. I found some early '22 explorers with a 05. That didn't work on mine and I used 04 based on a '21 explorer.
726-59-02 xxxx xxx2 xx--
726-65-02 xxxx xxxx x1--
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 1x--
Write each change after modification using the button next to it.
so what is it that you changed? did you change this 726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx-- from a 5 to a 4? not quite clear on what it is that you did in forecan, to me at least.

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
so what is it that you changed? did you change this 726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx-- from a 5 to a 4? not quite clear on what it is that you did in forecan, to me at least.
The lines i have listed is what I changed verbatim. My stock values were all zeros. The line you quoted, was an 05 in '22 explorers, but it didn't work on mine, so I looked up '21 explorers and they used 04, and that worked for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 1x--

i keep getting an error with this one. Any thoughts?

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 1x--

i keep getting an error with this one. Any thoughts?
flip the last 1. Sorry I made a typo.
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 x1--

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
flip the last 1. Sorry I made a typo.
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 x1--
That worked thanks.
Everything went well until trying to do the module update. Kept getting an error due to DTC on the BdyCM. Something about wrong something or other. Maybe someday I'll give it another try and try the 04, 05 etc. variance. The Module I have is for Expedition.
I'll have to do some Forscan research for the right code.

Last edited:
OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
That worked thanks.
Everything went well until trying to do the module update. Kept getting an error due to DTC on the BdyCM. Something about wrong something or other. Maybe someday I'll give it another try and try the 04, 05 etc. variance. The Module I have is for a

Yeah, I'm not sure what to say about the Expedition modules. In theory, they should work, but it's untested.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
That worked thanks.
Everything went well until trying to do the module update. Kept getting an error due to DTC on the BdyCM. Something about wrong something or other. Maybe someday I'll give it another try and try the 04, 05 etc. variance. The Module I have is for a

Jim you need to delete that link you sent from Ebay as its showing your full name and address.

that is really weird that ebay will allow you to share that page.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks. It wasn’t intended to be a link.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
yeah it somehow ended up as a link, again, odd that ebay is showing your actual order, name and address.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Don’t know how to take it out of the quotes. Maybe a mod can do that for me ? Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ordered a 21 explorer module from local Ford dealer today so it should work as above. Thanks all!