Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Adding Hands Free Liftgate Late '22 and '23 explorer.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Woohoo! It works as it should. Thanks again for the guidance and help!

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
Woohoo! It works as it should. Thanks again for the guidance and help!
Glad it worked! Were you able to send back the Expedition module for a refund?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is this what the front looks like?
1680718876849.png

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #25
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
^^ Pic was from local ford dealer parts website Part #: 14B291 for $109
Wanted to make sure it was the right part

tntlars

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is that the complete part number, My dealer says that is the base number for many modules. Not sure if he knows what he is looking for. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
" JX7Z*14B291*E SOR CONTRO "
The above is exactly what it says on my invoice for a 2021 Explorer module.
Hope that helps!

Edit: wrong year... fixed

tntlars

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!!

tntlars

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I wasn't sure if this was the best spot for the thread, but here it is. I know it's not everyone's preference to add it, and a lot of folks hate it. It's cool, we get it. Let's keep that chatter out of here.

It took a bit of work getting between the bumper cover, but I ended up swapping the module by just removing one of the rivets and shoving a short piece of 2x4 to create a gap. There was barely enough space to get my hand in there. The workshop manual details removing the entire rear bumper cover, but I wasn't doing that. You can see what I'm talking about if you look under the back passenger side corner of the bumper. Pics will be below. I swapped out the "dummy" module with the one i got from ebay and.

The part number I got was from a 2021 Explorer off eBay. Jx7t14f679aa You can look on Tasca and some of the other parts sites, but they're all on back order, so eBay is probably your best bet. The module from Expeditions, Edges, and Escapes should work, but you're on your own for testing them.

The mods I had to make in forscan are below. I had to edit the as-built code, as there is no easy config for this. This won't be a lesson on Forscan. There's a billion resources out there to learn how to use this tool, and I suggest you be familiar with it before changing values.

Back up your stock config!

BodyCM: Note: Don't change values with an "x". The values with "--" are checksums that Forscan will fix for you.
726-36-01 x1xx xxxx xx--
726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx-- <-- This might be a trial and error. I found some early '22 explorers with a 05. That didn't work on mine and I used 04 based on a '21 explorer.
726-59-02 xxxx xxx2 xx--
726-65-02 xxxx xxxx x1--
726-82-01 x1x1 x1x1 x1--
Write each change after modification using the button next to it.

Note: If your explorer came with hands free and you want to disable it, change the values above to 0. Remember, don't touch the "x".

IPC:
Easy Config, search for hands, and you'll see handsfree pop up. Change to enable. This optional, since it worked with it disabled. I wanted to keep it consistent.
View attachment 17098

Finally, you might have to run the "BdyCM Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration" under the wrench in forscan. I did not. It won't hurt to do it anyway. Since it's a new module on the LIN Bus, the Body Control Module needs to learn that it exists.

View attachment 17099

View attachment 17096
Don't order this module, it's the DUMMY LOL
View attachment 17097
Thanks for the write up works perfect! I did have to do the network new module calibration, got a sensor error code until I did and would not respond. As soon as I did the calibration, error code gone and works perfect! I did not have to enable Power liftgate hands in ICP either. Thanks Again!!

tntlars

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the part number assistance, works perfect!!

digitaltrucker

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer Limited
Anyone try this on a 2023 Explorer Limited? Also I have seen where the E Mach guys got lucky and the module is actually there, not activated. Anyone see this in an Explorer yet?

Looking to activate this on my sons explorer. The build did not indicate it was deleted nor was there a credit on his special order?

Last edited:

Ian Nexus

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Maverick XL 2023 Ford Explorer Limited
Successfully added to our 2023 Explorer Limited using a module from 2020 Escape SEL purchased off ebay, used the 04 coding on this line - "726-55-02 xx04 xxxx xx--" Recommend purchasing the OBDLink EX from Amazon and purchase the 1 yr extended FORScan license.

Many thanks to
i8iridium for the guide!

njtta150

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
Where exactly in the rear bumper should I be looking for the module?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Passenger side adjacent to the hitch. Access from below. Above a cover.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I just bought a late build 23 (11-20-23) what do I need to look for, and where, to make sure I have everything I need before I buy the module? I have a feeling that ford eventually deleted every thing that is needed like the antenna and sensors etc. No point in buying the module if the rest of it is missing.

I just checked two reputable online ford parts vendors and one lists the module for 61 bucks and change and the other for 63 and change. And both of them say it is for a non hands free liftgate.

Xlt,lmtd, plat,king ranch. Base, interceptor. Corsair. Without hands free. With trailer tow sensors & electrical. St. Timberline.

The number I used is JX7Z*14B291*E just want to make sure that is the correct part.

BTW if anyone wants to add this and needs a 20 or 21 vin to make sure you get the correct part, send me a PM and I'll give you the vin from my old 21 that had this feature from the factory.

Last edited:

thinguy

Reactions
Vehicle
2011 edge