Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Has Anyone Else?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I’m on a road trip right now. I got 500 miles from one tank of gas. Crazy! 7 straight hours of driving, 0 stops, normal cruise control set @ 75 mph most of the leg. Couple areas where there was construction and I was following other cars or a Semi. Driving through CO at night the outside temp was cold enough that I didn’t have to use AC. I’m pretty sure I’m dehydrated. Didn’t have to pee once during the 7hrs. o_O

IMG_0277.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I’m on a road trip right now. I got 500 miles from one tank of gas. Crazy! 7 straight hours of driving, 0 stops, normal cruise control set @ 75 mph most of the leg. Couple areas where there was construction and I was following other cars or a Semi. Driving through CO at night the outside temp was cold enough that I didn’t have to use AC. I’m pretty sure I’m dehydrated. Didn’t have to pee once during the 7hrs. o_O

View attachment 18730
That's impressive, on our last trip to CO after fill up it said 485 miles to empty...but I had to stop to pee lol!

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Manually calculating MPG it actually came out to about 26.5 MPG. The computer was a bit generous with the 27.9 MPG

Reactions
Vehicle
Manually calculating MPG it actually came out to about 26.5 MPG. The computer was a bit generous with the 27.9 MPG
I've been running different size tires so I don't know what my actual mileage is, but I would still rather drive the ST than my Honda!

hbalek

Reactions
I've been stuck twice in cold weather when letting the tank go below 60 miles to empty. The car literally stalled on an incline and wouldn't restart. The first time it burned the fuel pump and had to be replaced. The second time it took a tow truck driver bringing 3 gallons to my driveway in 10 degree weather to be able to restart. So now I will never see the low fuel warning before refilling! I've been stranded twice and learned my lesson. Luckily both times I either in my driveway or a few blocks from home. You are a brave man to let it go to 12 miles to empty 500 miles from home! This Explorer is the first car I ever ran out of gas in over 40 years and 6+ vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
I've been stuck twice in cold weather when letting the tank go below 60 miles to empty. The car literally stalled on an incline and wouldn't restart. The first time it burned the fuel pump and had to be replaced. The second time it took a tow truck driver bringing 3 gallons to my driveway in 10 degree weather to be able to restart. So now I will never see the low fuel warning before refilling! I've been stranded twice and learned my lesson. Luckily both times I either in my driveway or a few blocks from home. You are a brave man to let it go to 12 miles to empty 500 miles from home!
Wow good to know! I had an '82 Capri (Mustang) that would do the same thing with a 1/8th tank and stall on a small hill, now I drive around with at least 1/2 tank in all my vehicles!

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I've been stuck twice in cold weather when letting the tank go below 60 miles to empty. The car literally stalled on an incline and wouldn't restart. The first time it burned the fuel pump and had to be replaced. The second time it took a tow truck driver bringing 3 gallons to my driveway in 10 degree weather to be able to restart. So now I will never see the low fuel warning before refilling! I've been stranded twice and learned my lesson. Luckily both times I either in my driveway or a few blocks from home. You are a brave man to let it go to 12 miles to empty 500 miles from home! This Explorer is the first car I ever ran out of gas in over 40 years and 6+ vehicles.
Normally I don’t let it get that low. But I wanted that 500 so I could get a picture of it. I wanted to show my wife. Usually when I have others with me we are stopping every hour it seems and I only get like 22 MPGs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Best I’ve noted was 26.1 on the dash. That was 274 miles of mixed highway and some cities with a couple stops. All in Eco on 87.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Best I’ve noted was 26.1 on the dash. That was 274 miles of mixed highway and some cities with a couple stops. All in Eco.
I actually stay in Sport Mode on Highways/Freeways (unless it starts raining then I use Slippery) and use Normal Mode for city driving. In the lower gears in Sport mode it tends to hold the RPMs a bit high for my liking, but @ highway/freeway speeds it does fine. Cruising @ 75mph it was sitting right around 1900rpms. Plus if someone tries to play with you, you’re already good to go. :D

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I can get about 550 miles on a tank on a trip. My ST is RWD so it get a little better fuel economy.

I did adjust my MPG on the computer to make it more precise

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
This is from my recent trip to Utah.
IMG_20230720_043029.jpg
Eco mode with AC set at 71 all the time. Lot of idling and stops, with temperature outside averaging 105F. Vehicle set on adaptive cruise control from 80 to 90 mph depending on the speed limit. With me overriding in-between for passing slower traffic (it gets boring after few hours).

All things considered, I think that's a pretty good gas mileage. On highways, I used to get less than this on a CRV hybrid, with my kind of driving.

PS: thanks for the tip/caution on the taking the vehicle to low fuel warning limit. I have done that multiple times, in search of a better fuel station. Not any more.

hbalek

Reactions
This is from my recent trip to Utah.
View attachment 18736
Eco mode with AC set at 71 all the time. Lot of idling and stops, with temperature outside averaging 105F. Vehicle set on adaptive cruise control from 80 to 90 mph depending on the speed limit. With me overriding in-between for passing slower traffic (it gets boring after few hours).

All things considered, I think that's a pretty good gas mileage. On highways, I used to get less than this on a CRV hybrid, with my kind of driving.

PS: thanks for the tip/caution on the taking the vehicle to low fuel warning limit. I have done that multiple times, in search of a better fuel station. Not any more.
In cold weather and on a hill it's a really bad thing!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I never see anything over 20mpg but that’s not my cars fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
I never see anything over 20mpg but that’s not my cars fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In terrible D.C. traffic, I rarely average higher than 25 MPH per tankful hence why I rarely average more than 19 MPG. On pure highway driving without traffic I think I've gotten as good as 24 MPG.

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
I've never bested 22 MPG in 42,000 miles in 14 months. Were you driving from CO to NE? If so that's downhill the whole way. With a mild tailwind 26.5 MPG makes sense.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I've never bested 22 MPG in 42,000 miles in 14 months. Were you driving from CO to NE? If so that's downhill the whole way. With a mild tailwind 26.5 MPG makes sense.
On the roundtrip that resulted in 26.1 (Central NC to the beach in SC), I was fortunate enough to find a route that was downhill both ways. :cool:

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Yea, actually now that I think about it, I dunno maybe 20 or so miles we’re just coasting downhill. Not sure either how many miles were uphill.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Commenting on letting it go below 1/4 tank. I had to learn that lesson the hard way on my Ram Wagon to the tune of a $400 fuel pump. On a road trip last summer, my ST got a best of 26.4, average 24.2 for 2,600 miles, all on 93 ($5.40/gal :oops:). It was neat to combine the DTE to miles covered and find it was over 500 miles. FWIW, it's been content living on 87since then. If no trailer work, it gets about 22. The trailer pulls it down to 19 or so.