Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Has anyone added a powered sub? Any audio techs here?

Reactions
I added a powered cerwin Vega 12”. I used the stock sub wires for signal and the high inputs on the amp. It hits hard but the bass fades at high volume, if I turn it down and back up it’s sounds normal and fads (lessens) again. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's the oem amp reducing bass when you turn up the volume to save their crappy sub. 2 Options. On is if your amp has a remote gain control you could route to the front so you can turn the bass up and down. Other option is a dsp that can help with that.

OP
Kant1979
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! What’s a dsp? I do have a remote control gain also. Which would be better? It’s weird because it will come in waves. Well I can say you know more than the crutchfield tech

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's the oem amp reducing bass when you turn up the volume to save their crappy sub. 2 Options. On is if your amp has a remote gain control you could route to the front so you can turn the bass up and down. Other option is a dsp that can help with that.
The stock system does not roll off the bass with volume.

I would hazard a guess that your powered sub has some protection circuitry.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It sounds like his gain is not set correctly

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All accurate replies. Cdubya, you sure about not rolling off base? Every premium system I have had does that.

Bleed is correct in that you need to make sure your gain on the amp is set properly. A DSP is a digital signal processor. A somewhat expensive bit that allows you to do lots of things with your factory signal.

Most of us are using a NAV-TV device that pulls the signals before the amp and provides more clean analog inputs to your amp or dsp. This requires replacing the factory amp and lots more cost.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All accurate replies. Cdubya, you sure about not rolling off base? Every premium system I have had does that.
I added a sub to the stock system. Have the sub signal going to Audio Control LC2i and then to amp and sub. Used 40Hz test tone and SPL meter and verified no bass rolloff up to where stock system was noticeably distorting. Therefore, no need for Audio Control's AccuBASS settings to make up for bass rolloff with volume.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I added a sub to the stock system. Have the sub signal going to Audio Control LC2i and then to amp and sub. Used 40Hz test tone and SPL meter and verified no bass rolloff up to where stock system was noticeably distorting. Therefore, no need for Audio Control's AccuBASS settings to make up for bass rolloff with volume.
Good to know. That's one less thing I have to complain about the B&O system:p

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm having the same issue as the OP at volumes over 22 or so. I put an lc2i pro in. I set how you said with the 40hz, and still have the issue. When vehicle is parked I don't have the issue. I'm running a jx500x1 on a 12w3v2.

Can you show a pic of your lc2i settings?

Are you all running the 401a BO 14 speaker system with the vertical screen? This is in my 22.
Thanks!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm having the same issue as the OP at volumes over 22 or so. I put an lc2i pro in. I set how you said with the 40hz, and still have the issue. When vehicle is parked I don't have the issue. I'm running a jx500x1 on a 12w3v2.

Can you show a pic of your lc2i settings?

Are you all running the 401a BO 14 speaker system with the vertical screen? This is in my 22.
Thanks!
22!!! Listen, the stock system sounds like crap at that level. It would be audibly clipping so there is no point in getting a fill sub to perform at that level with the stock sound system. And yes, I have the BO 14 speaker tech pkg. I would never run it over 15...it sounds like complete crap otherwise. Honestly, I never even knew the stock system went up to 22... crap, I say.

Also, since you are taking speaker level inputs, when the amp that feeds the stock "subwoofer" starts to clip, there goes your signal. I would imagine the whole system limits out well below a setting of 20. I personally target a max sound level of "15". Anything more, and you are better off redoing the entire system.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I added a powered cerwin Vega 12”. I used the stock sub wires for signal and the high inputs on the amp. It hits hard but the bass fades at high volume, if I turn it down and back up it’s sounds normal and fads (lessens) again. Any thoughts?
MyKey volume limit??

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Warning: off topic, silly post below.

I thought it would sound better if we add a full size piano back there. No sub can beat the real thing.

IMG_20230617_182622.jpg

Yes, I shifted a full size piano with the stand behind my second row. Captain chairs to the rescue.
No, I have never gone above 8 with my factory tech package audio system. 8 is when I drive around with my windows open.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
22!!! Listen, the stock system sounds like crap at that level. It would be audibly clipping so there is no point in getting a fill sub to perform at that level with the stock sound system. And yes, I have the BO 14 speaker tech pkg. I would never run it over 15...it sounds like complete crap otherwise. Honestly, I never even knew the stock system went up to 22... crap, I say.

Also, since you are taking speaker level inputs, when the amp that feeds the stock "subwoofer" starts to clip, there goes your signal. I would imagine the whole system limits out well below a setting of 20. I personally target a max sound level of "15". Anything more, and you are better off redoing the entire system.
I installed a 12 pioneer sub with a pioneer amp fed from the stock sub high level inputs. I used an oscilloscope to check the 40hz -5db waveform and the stock head unit does not clip at all up to 25. I didn't go any higher as I didn't want to damage the speakers. My sub setup does not roll off any bass either.

Attachments

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I installed a 12 pioneer sub with a pioneer amp fed from the stock sub high level inputs. I used an oscilloscope to check the 40hz -5db waveform and the stock head unit does not clip at all up to 25. I didn't go any higher as I didn't want to damage the speakers. My sub setup does not roll off any bass either.
I live in FL windows always down even on highway. Volumes at max aren't even that loud. Maybe there's an issue with my stock audio system. I should go check out some others I guess .. I turn all the speaker levels down and turn up my lc2i to compensate for the bass being lower to not damage the door speakers. I'm happy with the sub bass if it wouldn't cut out, but the other speakers are overwhelmed by the sub which I'll handle after I fix this cutting issue.

What did you use to pick up the signal? Just straight off the sub wiring to the amp high level input?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve tested all the way to 30…no clipping. That’s what I would expect with a fully digital signal chain through the can-bus stuff.

Floc

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
What did you use to pick up the signal? Just straight off the sub wiring to the amp high level input?
Correct, straight off the high level inputs from the sub. I was concerned the other inputs may have a built in crossover.

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Correct, straight off the high level inputs from the sub. I was concerned the other inputs may have a built in crossover.
I wonder if my amp is having issues. I had done it that way initially into the high level inputs on a JL jx500/1 and the sub would clip out. I put in a lc2i pro and am having the same issues now. When I have the vehicle parked I can't reproduce it but while driving it happens. .

Floc

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I wonder if my amp is having issues. I had done it that way initially into the high level inputs on a JL jx500/1 and the sub would clip out. I put in a lc2i pro and am having the same issues now. When I have the vehicle parked I can't reproduce it but while driving it happens. .
Is it possible a protection circuit is kicking in for some reason? Is the speed sensitive volume turned off?

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Is it possible a protection circuit is kicking in for some reason? Is the speed sensitive volume turned off?
I was thinking that as well. In the options from the screen upfront, yes turned off. Do I need to do anything special with forscan?

Where are you guys picking up your ground at? Could it be a bad ground?

Floc

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I picked up the ground in the back of the trunk, left side. There is a factory ground point available right on the floor tucked in the corner. I didn't do anything with forscan. Just wired, set the gain and done. Trunk rattling bass.