Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Glare free

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Does anyone know if these vehicles are able to have Glare Free lighting activated? I have activated it on my F-150, and I read something on PTS that made me believe that the explorer MIGHT have glare free lighting. Can anyone from Canada, or anywhere else chime in? Canadian F-150's came with glare free lighting activated in 21 and job 1 of 22, so I thought the Explorer might be the same

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The ST's don't have adaptive headlights so I'm pretty sure that means no Glare Free.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
The ST's don't have adaptive headlights so I'm pretty sure that means no Glare Free.
I think you're correct, but I had to ask. It's a pretty damn cool feature

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think you're correct, but I had to ask. It's a pretty damn cool feature
Agreed. Would be a cool feature. I have even though about swapping out the ST lights for the King Ranch adaptive ones. Not sure what it would take to program them to work.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Agreed. Would be a cool feature. I have even though about swapping out the ST lights for the King Ranch adaptive ones. Not sure what it would take to program them to work.
Wait, so the ST doesn't have the top trim headlamps? As much as these things cost I thought these were the top level headlamps

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Wait, so the ST doesn't have the top trim headlamps? As much as these things cost I thought these were the top level headlamps
I would have thought so too, but it doesn't.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
After a quick search, it appears none of the Explorers have adaptive headlamps. Looking at as-builts for an Explorer KR, neither it or the ST has an HCM, which is the module used to control adaptive lighting. I'm fairly certain the headlamps are the same for both the ST and KR

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My mistake, just Platinum trim. Check out this video and jump to 10:10.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I enabled the forscan setting 'Fog Lamp Usage' value to 'Cornering' and pretty happy with the extra lighting. Not the same as adaptive headlamps but not too bad for $0 :)

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Hmm, then it could be possible with the platinum trim headlamps. The "glare free" technology is almost a decade old at this point, so it's possible the programming is there for it

EDIT: it appears the Platinums are the only trim with an HCM. Time to dig deeper

Last edited:
OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Well I think I just wasted $21 on a 3 day PTS subscription. In PTS it specifically spells out glare free for the F-150's but it does not for the explorer or for my MKZ. That doesn't mean it's not possible, but I think it is highly unlikely to have the glare free programming all ready there. FORScan only allows you to enable programming bits, it does not allow you to write programming

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I like my ST overall but I do wish the ST had adaptive headlights. Disappointed to find it didn't. And the Auto High/Low in this vehicle is terrible compared to my Suburban. Very slow and I find that I change it over to manual most of the time due to frustration of it not changing quick enough.