Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gear Head Auto Octane Tune

Reactions
So does the gear head tune offer shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission, similar to what jdm offers. JDM state "All the shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission are remapped for a performance shift pattern! This is what other tuners can not offer! "
Not sure what jdm is talking about, but the herky jerky shifts when stock are gone with a gearhead tune. It shifts smooth as butter up and down with gearhead tune.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Jealous. My Livernois tune is pretty good shifting when getting on it, but day-to-day driving is still very stock like--which can be herky jerky at times. That's why I don't understand Adapt-X boasting it retains stock shifting/drivability until you are WOT. Who wants stock shifting? It sucks!

OP
S

ssw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #43
I drive this tune back and forth to Miaki..at speed..as well as stop and go ..and the tuning strategy is beyond smooth...no clunking..nothing herky jerky

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It runs basically the same exact times as the AO tune, at least with my vehicle. They did send me a new revision a few days ago but so far I haven't tried it out yet. It drives fine just like the ao tune, no issues there.
Have you had a chance to compare the new revised e30 tune?

Reactions
Have you had a chance to compare the new revised e30 tune?
Last file he sent me was 2-3 weeks ago, it ran 12.05 with all the seats out, while my zfg e50 tune is running 11.4-11.5.

He said the cams weren't activating properly, so he was going to do some further research to try to figure out what is going on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Last file he sent me was 2-3 weeks ago, it ran 12.05 with all the seats out, while my zfg e50 tune is running 11.4-11.5.

He said the cams weren't activating properly, so he was going to do some further research to try to figure out what is going on.
What’s your launch protocol?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Traction control off, rev to about 2200 and mash it.
I’ll have to try that. I did a couple launches just flooring it from a stop with trac on and I didn’t get anywhere those times haha
I think you mentioned it before, but what we’re your times with just the A/O tune before your intercooler and other mods?

Reactions
I’ll have to try that. I did a couple launches just flooring it from a stop with trac on and I didn’t get anywhere those times haha
I think you mentioned it before, but what we’re your times with just the A/O tune before your intercooler and other mods?
I didn't do a ton of runs when it was totally stock, but i think the best was 12.43 in the winter when the da was like negative 1000.

Launching from idle will lose you a few tenths, but i think it's honestly the best way to compare times when you are adding mods one at a time and you want to see what the gains are.

As for best launch rpm when you are going for best time possible, pick an rpm to start at, if you get spin, try 100 rpm lower next time. If it doesn't spin, try 100 rpm higher. I try to always use the same road and same launch spot to keep that consistent. Different surfaces will give you slightly different results.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I didn't do a ton of runs when it was totally stock, but i think the best was 12.43 in the winter when the da was like negative 1000.

Launching from idle will lose you a few tenths, but i think it's honestly the best way to compare times when you are adding mods one at a time and you want to see what the gains are.

As for best launch rpm when you are going for best time possible, pick an rpm to start at, if you get spin, try 100 rpm lower next time. If it doesn't spin, try 100 rpm higher. I try to always use the same road and same launch spot to keep that consistent. Different surfaces will give you slightly different results.
Yes launching from idle was my best attempt to do apples to apples comparisons. Glad to hear you agree with that. From there it’s always possible to increase your times, but this way everything is roughly the same. Thanks for the tips. Once I get all my baseline logs in I’ll start practicing a more proper launch.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Like UNBROKEN said our ST's will handle E30 from the factory, as a matter of fact just about every gasoline vehicle built after 2015 will. Any tuner who is charging extra for an E30 tune is bending you over and not even giving you the courtesy of a reach around.

I have a ZFG 93 tune and a whipple I/C, with an E30 mix in the tank I ran a 12.09 and a 3.75 0-60, not too bad for a near 5K lb suv with my fat ass in the drivers seat.

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thought I would chime in on this thread. After installing inter cooler and cat-back exhaust, I used GH AO tune. It was good but I kept reading about ZFG and tried his AO tune. ZFG is a bit more aggressive and shifting at times a bit harsh. I read that GH revised their AO tune and decided to spend the $50 to see if I liked the improved tune. Well, I do like it. Aggressive enough, but what I really like is how smooth the shifting is and still very quick. I really like the GH AO tune and will stick with it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I will also add I recently changed my spark plugs to the ford performance 1 step colder plugs with the .28 gap and that made the tune feel much smoother and powerful when using ethanol. With 93 it feels the same, but with e30 the car feels much better with the tighter gap