Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gear Head Auto Octane Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
You can blend up to E30 on anyone’s tune…you don’t need a specific tune for it.
So not to argue because I know you know your stuff. But per GearHead they told me via email that they allow up to E20 on their AutoOctane Tune.

For a higher ethanol percentage they offer a specific E30 tune which they highly highly recommend only using if you plan on upgrading the intercooler. However as of recently they now have 2 versions to this e30 tune - 1 for those with an intercooler upgrade and 1 for those without an intercooler upgrade. Which has sparked my interest because I don’t plan on upgrading my intercooler but am excited at picking up some extra power.

I don’t know all the science (boost, timing, etc.) behind the e30 vs the AO tune but per their website they claim superior numbers utilizing their e30 tune especially with the upgraded intercooler.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 carbonized grey ST
I’m would love to hear your opinion on that E30 tune once you get it up and running. I have been thinking of getting it myself, but a little hesitant based on @ridered74 testimony
Ok got the GH E30 tune loaded went to fill up with E30. Just did one run on the way back since my normal spot at the airport was busy.
Best time with the JDM tune (93) 60 ft. 1.75 0-60 = 4.04. The run with the GH E30 tune was 60 ft. 1.81 ( not ideal road ) 0-60 = 4.12. so it looks like the GH E30 tune will be quicker if i get the 60 ft. down to 1.75 range. It is supposed to rain here in Dallas tomorrow. But i will do some more pulls on Sunday with the GH E30 tune to see if i can get them down. Damn I forgot how smooth the trans tuning is on the GH tunes are , not that the JDM tune is harsh just crisper. BTW does any of you guys GH tunes display the gear the vehicles in ?? Neither of mine do and I specifically asked for it this time. more to come.GM

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok got the GH E30 tune loaded went to fill up with E30. Just did one run on the way back since my normal spot at the airport was busy.
Best time with the JDM tune (93) 60 ft. 1.75 0-60 = 4.04. The run with the GH E30 tune was 60 ft. 1.81 ( not ideal road ) 0-60 = 4.12. so it looks like the GH E30 tune will be quicker if i get the 60 ft. down to 1.75 range. It is supposed to rain here in Dallas tomorrow. But i will do some more pulls on Sunday with the GH E30 tune to see if i can get them down. Damn I forgot how smooth the trans tuning is on the GH tunes are , not that the JDM tune is harsh just crisper. BTW does any of you guys GH tunes display the gear the vehicles in ?? Neither of mine do and I specifically asked for it this time. more to come.GM
Did you drive it long enough to circulate the ethanol blended fuel up to the engine? I try to get 15 miles minimum in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Gear does not display. I have only heard of ZFG having the ability of doing that

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 carbonized grey ST
Did you drive it long enough to circulate the ethanol blended fuel up to the engine? I try to get 15 miles minimum in.
Yes sir , drove about 20 or 30 miles , few WOT run on the freeway.

Reactions
Mine do not display the gear. Never asked for it tho.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 carbonized grey ST
Gear does not display. I have only heard of ZFG having the ability of doing th
ok thanks , cause the JDM tune does display the gears.

HAMMER

Reactions
Anyone in Texas have any issues getting inspection sticker after installing their tune?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 carbonized grey ST
Anyone in Texas have any issues getting inspection sticker after installing their tune?
No , not a issue with it tuned

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep- but don't get your hopes up. It won't take advantage to make big HP gains.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Curious if you have anymore feedback on this. Have you had a chance to try anymore dradgy runs?

How does the e30 compare to the A/O?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I have the GH E30 tune. Runs strong, in fact it seems to be just as quick as the 5 star E50 tune. The shifts are alot better with GH. I'm currently awaiting a revision as im putting in Downpipes tomorrow. GH stated that I can still run the tune and that they are currently doing multiple revisions on thier current E30 tune.
We will have to wait and see how it runs...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 carbonized grey ST
Curious if you have anymore feedback on this. Have you had a chance to try anymore dradgy runs?

How does the e30 compare to the A/O?
Pulled a 3.92 with 1.77 60ft with GH E30 tune the other day. best with JDM tune was 4.02 with 1.75 60ft. my best with the A/O tune was consistent 4.28 - 4.35 times.
So yes in my application the E30 tune is quicker than the A/O tune. and I do have an intercooler installed also.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Pulled a 3.92 with 1.77 60ft with GH E30 tune the other day. best with JDM tune was 4.02 with 1.75 60ft. my best with the A/O tune was consistent 4.28 - 4.35 times.
So yes in my application the E30 tune is quicker than the A/O tune. and I do have an intercooler installed also.
If you didn’t get results like that something would be wrong.

Reactions
Did you ever run the ao tune with ethanol in the tank?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd be interested to see what it runs with like e20 on the ao tune.
Just do E30. The car is inherently auto-octane and can take E30 even on a stock tune.

smokey

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So does the gear head tune offer shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission, similar to what jdm offers. JDM state "All the shifting strategies of the 10 speed transmission are remapped for a performance shift pattern! This is what other tuners can not offer! "