Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford's new MegaZilla crate engine

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Ford showcased their new megazilla crate engine at the PRI show in Indy recently. It's expected to be available some time in the second quarter of 2023. A quick rundown, based on the 7.3 godzilla engine out of the super duty, has forged Callies rods, forged Mahle pistons, same 10.5:1 CR, upgraded camshaft, locked out VCT, CNC ported heads, fords new low profile car friendly intake manifold with a 92 mm throttle body. Output is rated at 615 hp N/A and 640 ft lbs on pump gas. It also has over 500 ft lbs from 2500 rpm all the way up to 6000 rpm. Pricing TBD.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1138106_ford-megazilla-crate-engine-revealed-with-615-hp

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Throw a supercharger on it for 4 digit power levels. If I ever win the lottery I'll put one of these in my ST and use the 3.0 as a boat anchor. With this kind of power, you could get an ST into the 9's

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There’s any number of ways to accomplish 9’s. A 750lb blown pushrod V8 wouldn’t be my first choice.

Reactions
It'd be a fun one though lol. I'm curious if this is the preface to the S650 getting a pushrod variant. I know they caught them testing one in a S550 Shelby... kinda makes you wonder.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There’s any number of ways to accomplish 9’s. A 750lb blown pushrod V8 wouldn’t be my first choice.
I've fantasized about a twin turbo 2JZ Explorer ST. You would lose any and all functionality of the car stuff due to the need to run a MoTeC ECU, but it would be an all wheel drive riot.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It'd be a fun one though lol. I'm curious if this is the preface to the S650 getting a pushrod variant. I know they caught them testing one in a S550 Shelby... kinda makes you wonder.
They were testing in the S550 for the different intake manifolds. There won't be a Godzilla in the Mustang. Yes it would be cool to see the cubic inches, but the Coyote can make power so easily it's silly.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've fantasized about a twin turbo 2JZ Explorer ST. You would lose any and all functionality of the car stuff due to the need to run a MoTeC ECU, but it would be an all wheel drive riot.
The 2JZ-GTE engine is a very good engine, but Ford had the Barra 6 which was just as good and had even higher displacement.

I'd never swap out the 3.0 V6 for anything else, as it can make as much HP as any other 3 liter 6 cylinders I'm aware of on the market.

As far as I'm concerned, a flat six is the very best engine- in terms of crank length, balance, and some other technical things. But, expensive to produce. The straight 6 is great, with the same balance characteristics of the flat 6, but you also have to contend with the long crankshaft, but easier to work on with the intake and exhaust being separated. The v-6 has the advantage of the short crank, although with the overlapped crank pins, it isn't as nice from a balance perspective.

The reality is that 90% of the "great engine" is due to having excellent airflow (heads), a strong bottom end, and a balanced head-priority cooling system. And in today's world, from a street engine perspective, you have to have variable cam-timing.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That engine would be nice in a 1 ton truck IMO. With all the emissions problems I have had with my work diesels I'm thinking of sticking to gassers in the future. Most just don't have the torque to haul 6,500-10,000lbs but I imagine this could handle it.