Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford tune just got updated to 2023 models

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yes. Search this site for data.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

Thinking about grabbing this soon, anyone running it?
As stated prior there are a few people running. Super happy with it considering the 'feel' is going to change with shifting etc. Bang for the buck to keep factory warranty intact its solid for the price. If you're looking for real power just an intercooler and tune from many tuners mentioned on here you'll do considerably higher power gains for consistent daily drivability and fun.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Couldn’t have said it better! Keeping warranty likely but no guarantee IMO. Good tune definitely wakes up the fun factor quite a bit. Add some springs and sway bar and the thing handles pretty damn good for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG ACH

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer Sport
Question about this tune... maybe a stupid question, but can the Ford Performance tune be used with both AWD and RWD variants? Anyone here with RWD actually do it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Question about this tune... maybe a stupid question, but can the Ford Performance tune be used with both AWD and RWD variants? Anyone here with RWD actually do it?
I have the FP Tune on my RWD ST.

Matty153

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Anyone in CA running this tune? Thoughts on running this on a leased vehicle if the goal is to purchase after lease term?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Anyone in CA running this tune? Thoughts on running this on a leased vehicle if the goal is to purchase after lease term?
Yes I'm runing it on my 2021 and am very happy with it, if you follow the other thread you will see others too. This is my wife's daily driver and being a former CA smog tech I don't want to deal with the headaches of changing back to stock for an inspection every two years. For what we do this is perfect, better throttle response and little more power is all I was asking. If I live in another state where 93 octane was more available the ZFG is the way to go, but this tune makes it much more fun to drive!

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Not available for MY22 and MY23 in California.
Hope they make it available sometime in future.

Matty153

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
@R2D2 sorry man I’m a little new to this—what do you mean by that? I was able to put my shipping addy in the Steeda website and it seemed like it was just fine to ship here to CA. Is there some component that I’m missing or misunderstanding?

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was referring to official page of Ford.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

It's only 49 states legal and one of the bullet points says not available for MY22 and 23.

There are ways in which you can get it, but if you are looking to keep your factory warranty, then it's not backed officially. You might as well get any other tune you need.

PS: I'm also new to this and I might be wrong as well.
PPS: being from CA, I am in the same boat as you are.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For the time being the Ford Performance tune is only CARB legal on 2020s and 2021s. 2022+ owners in CA are SOL for now. :poop:

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
its a computer downloaded tune dont worry about smog. just put it back tp stock tune a week before you have to goto smog. if the ST in new thats 5 years from now if used thats still2. Warranty that a whole different thing that I have my opinion on but thats it just my opinion I think your looking for facts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
and, honestly, you pay a yearly fee to opt out of smogging for 8 years from the manufacture date, so it isnt something im very worried about at this point. I went full ZFG but got a weak ass transmission so I cant put it through a real good launch :rolleyes:

Reactions
its a computer downloaded tune dont worry about smog. just put it back tp stock tune a week before you have to goto smog. if the ST in new thats 5 years from now if used thats still2. Warranty that a whole different thing that I have my opinion on but thats it just my opinion I think your looking for facts.
This! Literally takes like 10 min at most to go back to stock, drive the car for 60 miles and it'll pass the smog with flying colors.

Been doing this for over 10 years in LA especially with my 03 Cobra lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Not available for MY22 and MY23 in California.
Hope they make it available sometime in future.
I'm waiting for approval in CA for my 22 :mad:. I don't have the technical expertise to do the mod myself, and I doubt the Ford dealer in SoCal will install and uninstall before those smogs as @bluesnake01 mentioned

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm waiting for approval in CA for my 22 :mad:. I don't have the technical expertise to do the mod myself, and I doubt the Ford dealer in SoCal will install and uninstall before those smogs as @bluesnake01 mentioned
Ford would not install it if its not CARB approved.
I never looked but I would almost guarantee someone made a you-tube video of installing the tune. Again I never looked but id also assume the tuner has directions.
If you really wanted it you would/could do it.

I do have a question why isnt this CARB approved? are they just waiting in line to get approved? If not CARB approved you might as well get a real tune from one of the many tuners around they will walk you thru the steps. The last mail order tune I had the SCT device was real real easy and I am not computer smart at all If I can do it anyone can.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pretty sure the delay is just Cali bureaucracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Ford would not install it if its not CARB approved.
I never looked but I would almost guarantee someone made a you-tube video of installing the tune. Again I never looked but id also assume the tuner has directions.
If you really wanted it you would/could do it.

I do have a question why isnt this CARB approved? are they just waiting in line to get approved? If not CARB approved you might as well get a real tune from one of the many tuners around they will walk you thru the steps. The last mail order tune I had the SCT device was real real easy and I am not computer smart at all If I can do it anyone can.
i would assume its due to 2023 builds not being completed yet so any kind of changes they make mid manufacturing would need to be included in the CARB exemption. ill bet itll be CARB legal sometime mid 2024.

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Wouldn't be surprised if Ford purposely undercuts performance on turbo engines... with the option to offer this boost lol. Okay being sarcastic because it did take a couple years for them to drop this.$800 for 30hp.... a little pricey.

Last edited: