Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford to cut 8,000 jobs

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40669316/ford-layoffs-to-fund-evs/

Perhaps this is just clickbait, but what do you think this means for the future of ICE vehicles at Ford? I'm not looking to bash Ford for their decision. Cutting about 25% of your workforce is significant. Would it be safe to assume that quality issues may arise in the future of their ICE vehicles as their emphasis turns to going full steam ahead on their EV projects? I was planning on looking into a 2023 Explorer ST in the hopes that quality may improve once supply and work constraints ease post-pandemic, but with this news, I'm thinking the opposite might be true.

What do you guys think?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Can't believe that many people stand to lose their jobs over interest in batteries-on-wheels. Not right.

97% of all vehicles in the world are ICE because no wants to waste time charging their ride. Plus, no country has a sufficient power grid to handle them.

The whole thing is a complete scam, advanced by wacko Climate Alarmists.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
With 8,000 jobs being cut that's ballpark 25% of Ford's workforce... Kinda interested on how that all will or won't pan out. Welcome to the new America though...

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Can't believe that many people stand to lose their jobs over interest in batteries-on-wheels. Not right.

97% of all vehicles in the world are ICE because no wants to waste time charging their ride. Plus, no country has a sufficient power grid to handle them.

The whole thing is a complete scam, advanced by wacko Climate Alarmists.
Sounds like your talking about my sister. She started preaching at me about putting up solar panels a couple days ago. At 66 years old doesn't make sense to me I said. Her reply was we have to think about the future. And her and her husband just bought a 25 FT travel trailer and a pickup to pull it. Man if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That’s just plain stupidity. The power grid is strained now from people using AC due to a heat wave. How the hell do these climate crazies think we can all buy expensive EV’s and charge them right now?

Reactions
That’s just plain stupidity. The power grid is strained now from people using AC due to a heat wave. How the hell do these climate crazies think we can all buy expensive EV’s and charge them right now?
Guess it will depend on the source of power. Here in Ontario, more than 50% of our power come from nuclear. Therefore we have excess power in the evenings when most are sleeping, so a good time to charge batteries. That being said, if you are relying on solar and wind, that "excess" power may not exist.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The news is NOT that Ford plans to reduce the workforce by 25%. They’ve stated the majority of the reductions will come from salaried, not hourly staff. Those salaried are the people who make decisions like eliminating the 4th bolt, NOT those that actually build vehicles.

0BE41B1E-C8E5-4A97-89A1-C707125C1315.jpeg

OP
L
Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
Thread Starter #8
The news is NOT that Ford plans to reduce the workforce by 25%. They’ve stated the majority of the reductions will come from salaried, not hourly staff. Those salaried are the people who make decisions like eliminating the 4th bolt, NOT those that actually build vehicles.
By that same token, it means people who make decisions or are in charge of quality control and/or management (amongst other jobs) may be getting the axe as well. Oversight is worn razor thin as management is footed with supervising more tasks and/or people and things simply go South from there. Obviously, this is speculation, but it's also not too far fetched to think that this will have an impact on their ICE side of things.

I don't mind them pushing towards EVs ... everybody is. I just think Ford is overshooting into the EV market at the expense of basically alienating its ICE cars.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Sounds like your talking about my sister. She started preaching at me about putting up solar panels a couple days ago. At 66 years old doesn't make sense to me I said. Her reply was we have to think about the future. And her and her husband just bought a 25 FT travel trailer and a pickup to pull it. Man if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.
Sorry to hear your sister bought into the world wide scam. I'm sure she's a nice person. But sooner or later, people who advocate for that kind of stuff are forced into hypocrisy because that's its natural end. Maglites-On-Wheels are a fantasy, power grids will never be able to handle them, and at only 3% of the world cars it's pretty clear most people don't want them.

ICE! ICE! BABY!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
By that same token, it means people who make decisions or are in charge of quality control and/or management (amongst other jobs) may be getting the axe as well. Oversight is worn razor thin as management is footed with supervising more tasks and/or people and things simply go South from there. Obviously, this is speculation, but it's also not too far fetched to think that this will have an impact on their ICE side of things.

I don't mind them pushing towards EVs ... everybody is. I just think Ford is overshooting into the EV market at the expense of basically alienating its ICE cars.
Yeah, I get that. I was simply trying to make the point that Ford hasn’t announced a 25% reduction in the workforce, as was mentioned here previously. Anyway, 8,000 is still close to 10%, which is considerable.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah, I get that. I was simply trying to make the point that Ford hasn’t announced a 25% reduction in the workforce, as was mentioned here previously. Anyway, 8,000 is still close to 10%, which is considerable.
When you pull the salaried figures which was what I was talking about it's the 25%. Should've clarified. Which still, at 10%ish overall that is still an uneasy number.

Explorer ST Posts