Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Got it done at a ASE certified shop, who happens to be my regular mechanic.
Update: After a couple of days of driving the start stop system is working again (unfortunately).

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
So being that this is the "Ford Performance Tune" thread, who actually has gotten it and is there any positive or negative feedback regarding it? Would love to hear if it is even worth it... Thx!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So being that this is the "Ford Performance Tune" thread, who actually has gotten it and is there any positive or negative feedback regarding it? Would love to hear if it is even worth it... Thx!
Tons of feedback scattered throughout this thread. It is a lot to weed through though. Overall, I have yet to hear anyone unhappy with it. Including myself. Not the best tune by far but a solid choice for maintaining some warranty.

Sousa369

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Tune disables the start stop system? I put the tune on two days ago and my start stop seems to be disabled. I'm no complaining, but I want to make sure I don't have an issue with the tune.
It's disabled on mine after the tune also

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
It's disabled on mine after the tune also
Interesting, mine has been working sporadicly now. It worked for two days and then stopped again.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t think the tune disables it. I could not see ford doing that. I think there’s just other variables preventing it from working. In my case, it’s a weak battery. Or just not a 100% battery.

Reactions
I would guess that it may not have had a battery maintainer/ charger while tuning so the auto start stop will not work until battery level increases enough. You can add the auto start stop status to the instrument cluster and it'll tell you why it isn't working. I usually see 4 different messages. 1. Vehicle charging, 2. Engine heating (I believe), 3 climate control and 4. Normal operation/ disabled

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I would guess that it may not have had a battery maintainer/ charger while tuning so the auto start stop will not work until battery level increases enough. You can add the auto start stop status to the instrument cluster and it'll tell you why it isn't working. I usually see 4 different messages. 1. Vehicle charging, 2. Engine heating (I believe), 3 climate control and 4. Normal operation/ disabled
How do you add the status to the instrument cluster? Can you provide instructions?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
How do you add the status to the instrument cluster? Can you provide instructions?
Hit the menu button on the steering wheel. It’s in there. I can’t remember exactly but there are so few options in that menu setting you should easily be able to find it. It may even just be labeled “screens”.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I have had mine for several months now, in my opinion it's worth it just for shifting improvements, not just the power upgrades.

It just drives better overall.

Shop around there are deals out there, don't pay full retail.

Reactions
Hit the menu button on the steering wheel. First option sounds be screen selection. Auto start stop is the last choice. Check it and back out. Then scroll to it.

Sousa369

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Interesting, mine has been working sporadicly now. It worked for two days and then stopped again.
Yea that is strange. Got mine back from dealer a week and a half ago....and the auto on/off is still off. Don't have to press the button anymore. Love it

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have had mine for several months now, in my opinion it's worth it just for shifting improvements, not just the power upgrades.

It just drives better overall.

Shop around there are deals out there, don't pay full retail.
The only shifting improvement in the Ford tune is a flash to their latest strategy and a KAM reset. They don’t alter anything like a proper tune does.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only shifting improvement in the Ford tune is a flash to their latest strategy and a KAM reset. They don’t alter anything like a proper tune does.
They did something. Because although my driving pattern has remained the same during my entire ownership, my ST 6 months in on the FP tune still shifts better than it ever did during the first year. So something was adjusted. If it was just a reset then it would of gone back to how it felt before. And I have a 22 so I had the latest strategy to begin with.

I know they didn’t do what most tunes do, but something was clearly done. I’m out of the honeymoon phase. I can still confidently say the shifts remain sharper and quicker.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They did something. Because although my driving pattern has remained the same during my entire ownership, my ST 6 months in on the FP tune still shifts better than it ever did during the first year. So something was adjusted. If it was just a reset then it would of gone back to how it felt before. And I have a 22 so I had the latest strategy to begin with.

I know they didn’t do what most tunes do, but something was clearly done. I’m out of the honeymoon phase. I can still confidently say the shifts remain sharper and quicker.
Except they didn’t change anything. That’s been verified by other tuners and discussed long ago.

Reactions
Did you change your trans fluid at some point too? Could be that...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe I got a magical tune then lol
It’s called we spent money and perceive a difference to justify the cost. lol
The reality is nothing in the trans tuning was modified from the same newest oem strategy every new car and update gets.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
I'm going to open a very rookie dialogue on here so please hold back your burning arrows :) (as research is my friend, i get it) but, in all fairness can sometimes take longer than normal just like when my wife asks "tell me why you love me" - i say hair :eek:. TMI - anyhow. I've only once ever tuned my car by (Unleashed) brand new 2010 Ford SHO and the choices were either (Unleashed or Livernois Motorsports) I went with Unleashed at that time because they were in North Florida with awesome reviews. However, now owning a new 2022 Ford Ex ST there are so many options which is a great problem to have when probing before finalizing a vendor for the tune. I don't drag strip (reads a bit funny :ROFLMAO:) but I do take pleasure in dusting people at the light especially these loud muffler jokers nonetheless, I do like to up the power and speed from the ST above stock.

• My perception is people on this forum go with the (Ford Performance Tune) because of the warranty, which from my understanding can also introduce the same liability as other tune competitors, correct? Just because it says (ford performance) doens't mean there's an automatic hall pass in the event something breaks. Additionally, haven't found information even with an upgraded Inter-cooler there still not much to gain outside of the advertised 30HP and smoother shifting?
  • ZFG - based on research appears to be the most popular and requires data logging which has advantages compared to canned tunes. However, is ZFG the most popular because folks went with the first and haven't really compared? But then again, who can realistically load and unload multiple tune competitors before deciding which to keep.
  • Palm Beach Dyno - has a pretty cool tune that loads a custom operating system and can do some pretty rad stuff but yet, I don't read much about it here. In fact, PBD posted a youtube video and looked pretty BAD A$$.
  • Monster Tune - love reading their adaptive tune approach definitely has my interest but again not enough context or feedback from the community.
  • Finally - there's many more vendors advertised but would be nice to know why members went with a particular Tuner?
Summarizing, i'd like to keep it 93oct and get the benefits of more power and speed. I got my new CVFab IC this week and new Air Intake - time to probe and finalize a decision. I apologize for this long rant but would really like to know why you (members - that's you) chose one Tune over the next? Or did you just go with what everyone else did, was there some uniqueness, anything you can share to help a brotha out i would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe this is a polling question

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s called we spent money and perceive a difference to justify the cost. lol
The reality is nothing in the trans tuning was modified from the same newest oem strategy every new car and update gets.
I suppose but being over thag initial honeymoon phase, it still feels different. I guess that’s all that matters though and it makes me happy with it regardless of what was or wasn’t done.

I do remember briefly reading about the tune and how there was nothing adjusted apparently.

So I reached out to FP team themselves and the product manager. “ It firms up the shifts as well making them quicker. It does this by increasing line pressure in the transmission.”