Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
You can run up to E30 from the factory or on the FP tune. DO NOT try to run E50 without a custom tune to handle E50. You can get an E50 tune from many vendors such as ZFG, 5*, and many others.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Atlas Blue Explorer ST
L
You can run up to E30 from the factory or on the FP tune. DO NOT try to run E50 without a custom tune to handle E50. You can get an E50 tune from many vendors such as ZFG, 5*, and many others.
Oh ya for sure, I'd tune for e50. My warranty is almost up, then going ZFG for e50.

I was talking more about issues long term to the fuel system or motor even if tuned.

I appreciate the response!

Reactions
L

Oh ya for sure, I'd tune for e50. My warranty is almost up, then going ZFG for e50.

I was talking more about issues long term to the fuel system or motor even if tuned.

I appreciate the response!
Tuned for it, you’re fine. The fuel system can handle the ethanol content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just wanted to post this video from Southdown garage on youtube. I'm not sure if he's a member here or not but his findings are very interesting about the Ford Performance tune.

TLDR:

Dyno's bone stock on 93, FP tuned on 93, then FP tuned on e30. Saw about 20hp gain on FP tune from 93 to e30. Plus he did some data logging that was interesting. Worth a watch:

Video
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see that running e30 on the FP tune does net you some gains as there’s been some discussion that it wouldn't.

Also found this video they did about how different brands of gasoline may impact your engine output an interesting watch. Although there is some debate in the comments about if there was an intercooler heat soak issue as they were running the stock intercooler.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
I think the most underappreciated part of my ZFG tune is how smooth the transmission is, especially compared to stock. Ford did an awful job programming the transmission, and I find it hard to believe they smoothed anything out in this new "tune". +30HP for $700, no thanks.

Also, did anyone notice the dyno graph compares "Base tune on 87 oct" vs "Performance tune on 93 oct"? Yeah, double no thanks.
I think the most underappreciated part of my ZFG tune is how smooth the transmission is, especially compared to stock. Ford did an awful job programming the transmission, and I find it hard to believe they smoothed anything out in this new "tune". +30HP for $700, no thanks.

Also, did anyone notice the dyno graph compares "Base tune on 87 oct" vs "Performance tune on 93 oct"? Yeah, double no thanks.

View attachment 14525
Hows your tranny holding up? You mentioned how smooth your shifts are with all that added HP.
In order to get a smooth shifts the transmission must slip into each gear slowly. There is a lot that goes into getting the balance between slipping, smooth shifts and a long lasting tranny. As we add HP the slipping smooth shifts will eat the transmission clutches in short order. This is one reason why people install shift kits or tune appropriately. This allows the shifts to become firmer with less slip thus allowing the transmission to last longer with the added HP. There is a point where too firm is bad and becomes "banging" gears. If the transmission "bangs" into gear on the street, the u-joints will need more maintenance. IMO firm is good and banging is bad.

Granted I am speaking of older technology here (Older hot rod building) so pls excuse my ignorance if these new transmissions are some how unaffected here.... Love the ST BTW!!!

Reactions
Hows your tranny holding up? You mentioned how smooth your shifts are with all that added HP.
In order to get a smooth shifts the transmission must slip into each gear slowly. There is a lot that goes into getting the balance between slipping, smooth shifts and a long lasting tranny. As we add HP the slipping smooth shifts will eat the transmission clutches in short order. This is one reason why people install shift kits or tune appropriately. This allows the shifts to become firmer with less slip thus allowing the transmission to last longer with the added HP. There is a point where too firm is bad and becomes "banging" gears. If the transmission "bangs" into gear on the street, the u-joints will need more maintenance. IMO firm is good and banging is bad.

Granted I am speaking of older technology here (Older hot rod building) so pls excuse my ignorance if these new transmissions are some how unaffected here.... Love the ST BTW!!!
Just hit 34k miles today and tuned by ZFG since 9k. Transmission is still great. Plenty of launches and passes at the strip as well.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Just hit 34k miles today and tuned by ZFG since 9k. Transmission is still great. Plenty of launches and passes at the strip as well.
Excellent! That's good to hear!

Reactions
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see that running e30 on the FP tune does net you some gains as there’s been some discussion that it wouldn't.

Also found this video they did about how different brands of gasoline may impact your engine output an interesting watch. Although there is some debate in the comments about if there was an intercooler heat soak issue as they were running the stock intercooler.

does show gains because they have the torque profile set to make exactly the advertise gains regardless of mods.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looking for some feedback. I always just leave everything as is and will do a boosted launch. Works pretty well. I’ve had the tires slip a little occasionally and I can feel the car pull power to ring it back in but otherwise it usually always does the job.

This morning I tried for the first with TCS off. Wow I think I had the best launch ever. It felt different. I don’t know maybe it was the perfect temperature outside.

Anyway, the only problem was after a second two of launching, it felt like the system just cut power. It was strange. Gave it a second and back to normal. I can’t imagine this would be the effect of turning TCS off but it’s never happened like this before. Just curious to see if anyone had any thoughts.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There are parameters in the ECU/TCU for torque management which will "slip" the trans or cut power when it reaches the threshold. I would imagine the limit is lower for the FP tune. There are a couple of other threads and scores of reports of this type of behavior under various circumstances.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There are parameters in the ECU/TCU for torque management which will "slip" the trans or cut power when it reaches the threshold. I would imagine the limit is lower for the FP tune. There are a couple of other threads and scores of reports of this type of behavior under various circumstances.
Gotcha thanks. Maybe that’s what it was. Like I said this launch felt different and definitely gave me that stomach sinking feeling which is not normal as the driver. Anyway thanks for the info.

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Tune disables the start stop system? I put the tune on two days ago and my start stop seems to be disabled. I'm no complaining, but I want to make sure I don't have an issue with the tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Tune disables the start stop system? I put the tune on two days ago and my start stop seems to disabled. I'm no complaining, but I want to make sure I don't have an issue with the tune.
The FP tune does not disable the start/stop. Are you sure you weren't in Sport mode? It is disabled in Sport (as it is when stock).

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
The FP tune does not disable the start/stop. Are you sure you weren't in Sport mode? It is disabled in Sport (as it is when stock).
I'm in normal mode, I even tried ECO mode and my vehicle has yet to turn off.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There are other threads that address this as you post. Battery life, oil life, and coolant temperature, sport mode- all impact the ASS system.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm in normal mode, I even tried ECO mode and my vehicle has yet to turn off.
Gotta wonder what else isn't as it should be. Maybe reinstall stock, then reinstall FP?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
There are other threads that address this as you post. Battery life, oil life, and coolant temperature, sport mode- all impact the ASS system.
Good point!

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I'll give it couple of days. if I have any other issues I'll reinstall the tune.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll give it couple of days. if I have any other issues I'll reinstall the tune.
did you do the actual install yourself or did you have a tech/dealer do it? I know you put it on a couple days ago but just curious. I wonder if the system could be relearning itself so it’s keeping itself on for whatever reason.

Dre904u

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
did you do the actual install yourself or did you have a tech/dealer do it? I know you put it on a couple days ago but just curious. I wonder if the system could be relearning itself so it’s keeping itself on for whatever reason.
Got it done at a ASE certified shop, who happens to be my regular mechanic.