Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Explorer ST Recall 23S23 360 Degree Camera Stop Sale

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
Placed an order for a 2023 ST in Feb, went into production in May. Dealer called me up said it's coming on 5/29. My husband and I sold our cars to be ready for ST, only to find out the car has been produced but it's been "pulled back" because of the 360 cam recall and "it shouldn't be long". Weeks went by and no update until i made a big stink and they tell me it's now supposed to ship btwn 7/14-7/20. This is wild! Today is 7/18 and there has been ZERO movement, not that i'm even banking on this date anymore. I saw the 8/7 date for the interim fix, but what will that even mean for cars sitting in storage in Chicago? Will they ship them to the dealers and let the dealers service do the updates? Or will they hold the cars and do the update at the assembly plant and THEN ship them? TBH I am very turned off by Ford as a whole right now, the communication btwn Ford and dealerships is terrible. So frustrating for a feature that most of us would remove if we could. At this point we're looking into alternative options/brands.
You really said it perfectly here, 100% agree!!

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Found it!

Remedy
Currently, Ford Motor Company does not have a permanent fix available however, if you observe a blue or black screen on the rearview 360 degree camera when in reverse, Ford has authorized your dealer to update the camera systems software as an interim repair prior to availability of the permanent fix. The interim repair is anticipated to become available beginning the week of August 7, 2023 and is being offered free of charge parts and labor. You will receive another letter when a permanent fix becomes available.

https://www.ford.com/support/campaign-details/23s23/
This isn't a fix, it's a band-aid. Mine suddenly started doing the blue screen thing more and more and it's really starting to piss me off.

OP
S

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #63
Placed an order for a 2023 ST in Feb, went into production in May. Dealer called me up said it's coming on 5/29. My husband and I sold our cars to be ready for ST, only to find out the car has been produced but it's been "pulled back" because of the 360 cam recall and "it shouldn't be long". Weeks went by and no update until i made a big stink and they tell me it's now supposed to ship btwn 7/14-7/20. This is wild! Today is 7/18 and there has been ZERO movement, not that i'm even banking on this date anymore. I saw the 8/7 date for the interim fix, but what will that even mean for cars sitting in storage in Chicago? Will they ship them to the dealers and let the dealers service do the updates? Or will they hold the cars and do the update at the assembly plant and THEN ship them? TBH I am very turned off by Ford as a whole right now, the communication btwn Ford and dealerships is terrible. So frustrating for a feature that most of us would remove if we could. At this point we're looking into alternative options/brands.
Completely agree,
Ford has dropped the ball on this from the start, not only is it taking too long, there’s zero communication from Ford and dealers. The way they have treated their customers is unacceptable. Preventing customers from receiving their vehicles for a simple camera malfunction is crazy, especially when the vast majority of us learned to drive without one. They will lose a lot of customers from this they won’t realize it until it’s too late. Buyers have options.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This isn't a fix, it's a band-aid. Mine suddenly started doing the blue screen thing more and more and it's really starting to piss me off.
My screen has four modes:
1. Works fine (smallest percentage)
2. Mostly works (back up camera doesn't work or 1/2 the map isn't visible)
3. Black screen - volume is the only thing that works. PXL_20230628_121834742.jpg PXL_20230718_230947054.jpg
4. Blue and Black screen - nothing works.

kbatto

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
We purchased a 2023 Explorer ST on May 20, 2023. It seemed everyone believed, (Salesman, Service, Finance, etc) , this issue was a short term issue to repair the camera problem. We made a down payment of $20,000.00 at the time of purchase and awaited a call to pick up the Explorer. Approximately three weeks later we made a visit to the dealer and they agreed to supply a loaner vehicle until the Explorer was ready. It appears the real issue is the dealer registered the Explorer in our name on May 20, 2023 instead of waiting for delivery to occur and to unwind the deal may be an issue with the State of Florida Motor Vehicle. The story continues, we were surprised on 7/17/2023 when the dealer called and told us to take delivery of our Explorer on 7/18/23. I called on 7/18/23 to arrange the delivery and at that time was informed it was once again put on a no sale status until August 7, 2023 (Maybe). We have been making payments on a vehicle we do not have using a loaner vehicle we really don't want. I think it is time Ford or the dealer to get together and decide how they plan to compensate customers for depreciation, non-delivered of vehicles paid for, and other losses this has caused their customers. I will make a prediction! These Explorers are going to go on a quick dump sale at zero percent interest to get rid of them as soon as a reasonable fix is available. I think, as others should be thinking, Ford owes the people who purchased these vehicles a major rebate off the price paid for the vehicle ($6,000) and zero percent interest on financing. This will help cover the depreciation and other losses for this craziness.

Comments are welcome along with ideals.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
We purchased a 2023 Explorer ST on May 20, 2023. It seemed everyone believed, (Salesman, Service, Finance, etc) , this issue was a short term issue to repair the camera problem. We made a down payment of $20,000.00 at the time of purchase and awaited a call to pick up the Explorer. Approximately three weeks later we made a visit to the dealer and they agreed to supply a loaner vehicle until the Explorer was ready. It appears the real issue is the dealer registered the Explorer in our name on May 20, 2023 instead of waiting for delivery to occur and to unwind the deal may be an issue with the State of Florida Motor Vehicle. The story continues, we were surprised on 7/17/2023 when the dealer called and told us to take delivery of our Explorer on 7/18/23. I called on 7/18/23 to arrange the delivery and at that time was informed it was once again put on a no sale status until August 7, 2023 (Maybe). We have been making payments on a vehicle we do not have using a loaner vehicle we really don't want. I think it is time Ford or the dealer to get together and decide how they plan to compensate customers for depreciation, non-delivered of vehicles paid for, and other losses this has caused their customers. I will make a prediction! These Explorers are going to go on a quick dump sale at zero percent interest to get rid of them as soon as a reasonable fix is available. I think, as others should be thinking, Ford owes the people who purchased these vehicles a major rebate off the price paid for the vehicle ($6,000) and zero percent interest on financing. This will help cover the depreciation and other losses for this craziness.

Comments are welcome along with ideals.
When our deal was unwound, it apparently came down to whether the sale had been registered with Ford yet. Our loan had funded already but because Ford had not registered the sale, they were able to unwind it (including title and registration that were already under way). You might be beyond that point now. Hopefully Ford does the right thing in the end.

Btw, I spoke with the service manager at the dealership and he read the details on the recall while we were on the phone. According to him, the Aug 7 date is specifically for owners that already have the vehicle and will not be applied to any vehicles that Ford has possession of. Any vehicle still at dealerships will have to wait for the final fix and I don't think anyone knows when that will be.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
When our deal was unwound, it apparently came down to whether the sale had been registered with Ford yet. Our loan had funded already but because Ford had not registered the sale, they were able to unwind it (including title and registration that were already under way). You might be beyond that point now. Hopefully Ford does the right thing in the end.

Btw, I spoke with the service manager at the dealership and he read the details on the recall while we were on the phone. According to him, the Aug 7 date is specifically for owners that already have the vehicle and will not be applied to any vehicles that Ford has possession of. Any vehicle still at dealerships will have to wait for the final fix and I don't think anyone knows when that will be.

In your opinion, would this also include vehicles still in the plant? It seems they’d make the repairs and then ship those out? I’m really hoping mine ships some time in the next month and a half or so. But it seems this may be wishful thinking.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
In your opinion, would this also include vehicles still in the plant? It seems they’d make the repairs and then ship those out? I’m really hoping mine ships some time in the next month and a half or so. But it seems this may be wishful thinking.
I think it depends on when it was built. The bad part was pulled from the assembly line on 5/2/23. I think those built after that should be able to be sold but I have heard from some dealerships that they have not seen any of the new ones ship yet. Normal shipping delays or a hold to make sure that the bad part was actually the problem? I don't know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
At this point I should wait for the partially redesigned 2024! Besides the fact I should be able to get a 2023 for a steal by the time they can sell them again

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
At this point I should wait for the partially redesigned 2024! Besides the fact I should be able to get a 2023 for a steal by the time they can sell them again
If the 24 models all come with the correct number of bolts and new hardware for the camera system, it would probably save you a lot of future headaches to skip the 23. I've heard some people say that the new look on the 24 isn't as nice but I think I'd deal with that if Ford stopped cutting corners on quality.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Full disclosure I’m lemoning a 2020 Ford Expedition, platinum. I love the car but the trans is JUNK!! I’ve owned it a year and Ford has had it for a total of 4.5 months of that year. They put one new transmission in it and I’m having the same issue so they’re buying it back. I’m going back to an explorer because I absolutely LOVED it. They’ve over complicated new vehicles to the point they’re garbage that can’t be fixed. It’s a bummer because my entire life I’ve been a Ford gal!

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Full disclosure I’m lemoning a 2020 Ford Expedition, platinum. I love the car but the trans is JUNK!! I’ve owned it a year and Ford has had it for a total of 4.5 months of that year. They put one new transmission in it and I’m having the same issue so they’re buying it back. I’m going back to an explorer because I absolutely LOVED it. They’ve over complicated new vehicles to the point they’re garbage that can’t be fixed. It’s a bummer because my entire life I’ve been a Ford gal!
Haha. We just got a 23 Expedition... I got the extended warranty (ESP) from Zeigler with the expectation that there will probably be issues down the road. Hopefully it's not in the shop all the time!

kbatto

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I am looking at the time frame concerning this recall. This has been going on for months without a resolution as of July 2023. All the Explores piling up that can not be sold are surely going to run into the 2024 year model with a lot of 2023's unsold. What does Ford need to do? Drop the price by way of deep discounts and lower interest rates to move the inventory out. I can see a lot of people waiting for the 2024's. If you are in this mess, like we are, I think Ford or the dealer need to make this right. Having an Explorer you have put money down on and making payments for something you do not have is no joke. Even with the "loaner" vehicle supplied you are still being short changed on enjoying the car you selected and it is going down in value while it sits at a Ford dealer. Maybe Ford will declare the 2023 model year a "2023 1/2" to increase it value at trade in time. No, probably not!

gt2k2

Reactions
Vehicle
Grand Cherokee - ST Next?
I am looking at the time frame concerning this recall. This has been going on for months without a resolution as of July 2023. All the Explores piling up that can not be sold are surely going to run into the 2024 year model with a lot of 2023's unsold. What does Ford need to do? Drop the price by way of deep discounts and lower interest rates to move the inventory out. I can see a lot of people waiting for the 2024's. If you are in this mess, like we are, I think Ford or the dealer need to make this right. Having an Explorer you have put money down on and making payments for something you do not have is no joke. Even with the "loaner" vehicle supplied you are still being short changed on enjoying the car you selected and it is going down in value while it sits at a Ford dealer. Maybe Ford will declare the 2023 model year a "2023 1/2" to increase it value at trade in time. No, probably not!
Im a buyer at this exact crossroad. Part of me says just go buy a different brand (cx90 turbo s or mdx a spec). I want to buy a ST but wow what a dumpster fire this has been for ford with significant owner and dealer impact. I like the 24 better and debate just waiting but have a feeling they’re going to blow out these 23s at a rocking deal.

If I hear about new offers from the dealers I’m working with I’ll let you know, please others do the same

King7878

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer ST
So far I've already received a $1000.00 CAD customer cash offer from Ford so it will be interesting to see how much more cash they may offer by the time my may 5 biult ST finally gets to dealership.

JSal1105

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My dealer just called me back...middle to end of September is the new update, again, "possibly"...terrible news of course. Although he did say they are looking to give pretty hefty rebates, i said it's the least they can do! Still not sure what we're going to do at this point.

kbatto

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I will be meeting with the dealer next week to see what Ford plans to do about this unbelievable situation. If anyone gets anywhere please advise as to any and all incentives being made available to offset the cost of purchasing this vehicle. I am sure the incentives will vary greatly based upon what the purchaser "discovers" is available from Ford or the Dealership. Information is power and in this case power means cash reimbursement for the damages caused by this long running issue with the Explorer.

DijonFTW

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am trying to see if there is a way i can submit a formal complaint to maybe get some sort of compensation but i know its also fault on my part for being groomed into signing the papers. We absolutely loved the ST and it is my wifes first time picking her new car. Doesn't help that she is preggers so she's extra cranky lol!
FWIW, this happened to me and my wife as well. We marched up to the dealership and had them unwind the deal…since you haven’t taken delivery of the vehicle..this is still a possibility. It’s never left the lot and there are zero miles on the damn thing.

Despite a conversation around us still wanting this vehicle when available - they “fixed” the issue like three weeks after and sold the one I formally purchased/returned from under me without letting me know it was available to buy and be delivered.

Went back to repurchase - dealer tried to mark up the vehicle and we had to argue about the experience plus the bank wanted .5% more APR which at this point was out of the question.

Finally was able to take it home - this was May 2022 - June 2022 battle….and then I first started having camera issues 6K miles in. Haha, love the car though. Only issue has been this crappy camera. Every Ford I’ve owned has had a bad canera

MT3538

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Update-

we were informed by our dealership that the replacement parts needed to “fix” the issue will be in next week.

From what I was told, the wiring harness, module, and rear camera will be replaced on our vehicle. After that, we will be able to pick up the vehicle. I asked about the software update and they said it will be applied long with the replacement parts.

not fully believing it until I see it but they are writing us a check to cover the next 3 months of payments along with our vehicle so fingers crossed.

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Update-

we were informed by our dealership that the replacement parts needed to “fix” the issue will be in next week.

From what I was told, the wiring harness, module, and rear camera will be replaced on our vehicle. After that, we will be able to pick up the vehicle. I asked about the software update and they said it will be applied long with the replacement parts.

not fully believing it until I see it but they are writing us a check to cover the next 3 months of payments along with our vehicle so fingers crossed.
This is promising, I got a call from the dealership last week and the salesman told me that he got news and our car should be ready for pickup sooner than expected. Now I know all that info is vague but my family and I are seeing it as a little glimmer of hope. With your post too it almost makes me think if the dealerships got a word and are going to be fixing the vehicles soon. I was told a few weeks ago by the general manager at our dealership that once the fix comes out, the people who already have an explorer paid for are first priority then existing users THEN cars on the lot. Again how valid that information is meh idk. I spent 11 years in the Army so im used to dissappointment haha! Good luck everyone!

Explorer ST Posts