Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Explorer ST Recall 23S23 360 Degree Camera Stop Sale

Reactions
Interesting, mine has been the opposite, it got better with the updates. I maybe have the issue once every 2 months or so, its also my DD.
Mine went from occasional rear blue screen to occasional working rear camera lol

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Sadly, my wife and I were those suckers lured into the trap of getting a 23 with the manager of the dealership reassuring us that the problem "has been out for awhile now and will be fixed any day". They even further sweetened the deal by not scheduling our first payment until the end of September. Thankfully we have another vehicle so we are not hurting for a new car but the Explorer we purchased is now just sitting on the lot and my family and I have to keep getting a run around on when we can take the vehicle home. We already feel pretty dumb so id rather not get hazed on here for that lol. I just hope the issue gets fixed soon (fingers crossed).

Tell your dealer that the software fix has been abandoned and now its a hardware replacement with September at the EARLIEST to get parts and then parts will be slow and hard to get. I would ask for your deposit back if you put one down.

Just look at the rear frame bolt issue, no bolts yet for us and I'm still driving a 21 ST that puts the Parking Brake on everytime it goes into park. Its been a year or almost a year since that nightmare started.

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Tell your dealer that the software fix has been abandoned and now its a hardware replacement with September at the EARLIEST to get parts and then parts will be slow and hard to get. I would ask for your deposit back if you put one down.

Just look at the rear frame bolt issue, no bolts yet for us and I'm still driving a 21 ST that puts the Parking Brake on everytime it goes into park. Its been a year or almost a year since that nightmare started.
The thing is we already did all the final paperwork in hopes that the issue was fixed in the timeframe we were told. So we have the car financed and we even traded in our old car but they are letting us keep it for the time being which is stupid because we are just putting more and more miles on it. I am not sure what we can do at this point but i am actually going to go talk to the dealer today and figure something out. Ill be damned if im gonna let them do this to more and more people. I get it that i shouldnt have taken the bait and now im paying the price.

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Also, where has it been mentioned (officially) that this escalated to a hardware issue now? I dont want to go into the dealer without having my ducks in a row again.

Sid1004

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST 22
Also, where has it been mentioned (officially) that this escalated to a hardware issue now? I dont want to go into the dealer without having my ducks in a row again.
I am not a finance expert but if your dealer has not delivered the car, no sale has happened and therefore if bank has disbursed the amount to the dealer, tell them to buy the car back from bank and repay the amount to the bank. Since its a zero mileage, they can always sell at a later date as a new car. As for the period for which you have utilised the loaned car, agree a minor rental or lease amount for the period of use and settle it (only if dealer is pushy). This might help to settle things amicably.

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I am not a finance expert but if your dealer has not delivered the car, no sale has happened and therefore if bank has disbursed the amount to the dealer, tell them to buy the car back from bank and repay the amount to the bank. Since its a zero mileage, they can always sell at a later date as a new car. As for the period for which you have utilised the loaned car, agree a minor rental or lease amount for the period of use and settle it (only if dealer is pushy). This might help to settle things amicably.
the car we bought is sitting on the lot, they cant release it to us until the recall has been fixed.

David-NY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Wonder what the plan is on all the cars sitting on hold in Chicago, they may very well ship to dealers and let them handle the software updates meanwhile mine is "scheduled" to be built next week...

OP
S

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #48
Wonder what the plan is on all the cars sitting on hold in Chicago, they may very well ship to dealers and let them handle the software updates meanwhile mine is "scheduled" to be built next week...
This whole operation has been executed poorly. They should have just shipped them already so that as soon as the fix is available, they would already be ready for the dealer to fix instead of having to wait for shipment.

Apriefer

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer limited
We bought our explorer in November 2022. It's got something seriously wrong with it. After towing to dealership several times they agreed to replace it. Now been waiting since March for the new explorer we ordered. Every time they look it says it hasn't moved from Chicago. Looks like we will be waiting a while longer just had it towed in again 2 days ago. Getting really old.

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have a meeting with the dealerships manager after sending a lengthy email to them mentioning the issues and unprofessionalism I have experienced. I will update here of any updates or outcomes maybe others can pursue.

tim a

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer
Hello all,

I started this thread as a resource for updates on the current recall on the Explorer ST regarding the 360 Degree Camera. Ford issued this recall on May 12th, 2023. Ford also stopped sales of Explorer St's produced before May 2nd, 2023.

This is what I have discovered so far.
Recall affects all Explorers from 2020-2023 produced before May 2nd, 2023
The recalled part was introduced into production on 10/19/2018 and was taken out of production on 05/02/2023.
Explorer's produced after this date do not seem to be affected according to Ford's recall lookup. (https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/)
You can lookup the production date by looking at the last 6 on the Window Sticker (see attached picture).

If anyone has any updates or useful information, please share.
Hello all,

I started this thread as a resource for updates on the current recall on the Explorer ST regarding the 360 Degree Camera. Ford issued this recall on May 12th, 2023. Ford also stopped sales of Explorer St's produced before May 2nd, 2023.

This is what I have discovered so far.
Recall affects all Explorers from 2020-2023 produced before May 2nd, 2023
The recalled part was introduced into production on 10/19/2018 and was taken out of production on 05/02/2023.
Explorer's produced after this date do not seem to be affected according to Ford's recall lookup. (https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/)
You can lookup the production date by looking at the last 6 on the Window Sticker (see attached picture).

If anyone has any updates or useful information, please share.
my dealer called me today about this recall...they actually said i MUST bring in the car and they will give me a loaner as there is a 'stop drive' order on this until the camera is fixed. I said 'you are insane, you're not taking my new car to fix and you're telling me you don't even HAVE a fix until August'. He said I have to and that any warranty, for ANYTHING could be voided if I don't bring it in. I find this insane and can't find anything online about forcing a recall or invalidating a warranty over it. There can't possibly be any way they can require me to give them my new care for a month, can there? i'm happy to take it in in august when they have the temp fix but he even said they can't do anything til august and they don't want me driving it. I said thank you but it's my choice. I can understand if i have no claim over an accident caused by faulty rear camera but have you heard anything about this being forced and forcing my car off the road??? please help, this sounds crazy

OnePiece91

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Don’t know the validity of the statement, but the manager at my dealer said that with the interim recall update on august 7th should lift the stop sale for us to take our vehicle home. Some other options of pulling out of the sale were mentioned by me to the manager as a worse case scenario. Let’s all cross our fingers and hope for the best august 7th!

tim a

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer
Don’t know the validity of the statement, but the manager at my dealer said that with the interim recall update on august 7th should lift the stop sale for us to take our vehicle home. Some other options of pulling out of the sale were mentioned by me to the manager as a worse case scenario. Let’s all cross our fingers and hope for the best august 7th!
we know that date will change...and it's a software update that is costing them tons of sales but it takes 4 more weeks to get it done? and why would they have such an exact future date for a software update? seems odd. It's terrible for you guys that bought and aren't allowed to take home. my situation is I already have it home and they are trying to insist i Must bring it back

OP
S

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #54
With my experience with the managers and salesmen during this entire fiasco, I take everything they say with a grain of salt. I hope they lift the stop sale August 7th or sooner but I don’t think they even know what’s going to happen and when. I should of had mine by now, I keep hearing, “oh next week it should be done.” Etc

David-NY

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For whatever it's worth (probably nothing) I stopped at my dealer today and spoke to my salesperson and he told me that management was notified that hey will be adding "more incentives" to the customers that are tied up in this fiasco, said that they are supposed to get notification from Ford by end of the day today OR Monday ..... truth be told I'd rather have the car now than pick up another 500 dollar incentive. It's amazing, doesn't seem like that long ago when we didn't need 360 cameras to back up a car but now It's a huge liability issue.

Time will tell.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It's not officially broadcast, Ford doesnt want that. I get my info from well placed people at CAP who have always been solid.
Remember often times these forums get more info or info sooner than Ford communicates to their dealers.

gt2k2

Reactions
Vehicle
Grand Cherokee - ST Next?
For whatever it's worth (probably nothing) I stopped at my dealer today and spoke to my salesperson and he told me that management was notified that hey will be adding "more incentives" to the customers that are tied up in this fiasco, said that they are supposed to get notification from Ford by end of the day today OR Monday ..... truth be told I'd rather have the car now than pick up another 500 dollar incentive. It's amazing, doesn't seem like that long ago when we didn't need 360 cameras to back up a car but now It's a huge liability issue.

Time will tell.
I’m shopping and got this note from one of the sales folks “Ford is offering a $500 discount for people putting a deposit on one of the inbound units”.

At this point I’ll probably wait for the ‘24 unless they blow these out under A plan with good finance rates

OP
S

St3Ven

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #58
I’m shopping and got this note from one of the sales folks “Ford is offering a $500 discount for people putting a deposit on one of the inbound units”.

At this point I’ll probably wait for the ‘24 unless they blow these out under A plan with good finance rates
I have the X plan so if I get a kickass deal on the 23 I might consider it. Ford was running a 0% APR 36 months from May-July 4th and I was hoping to have snagged that deal but they aren’t offering it anymore.

cdast

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Sadly, my wife and I were those suckers lured into the trap of getting a 23 with the manager of the dealership reassuring us that the problem "has been out for awhile now and will be fixed any day". They even further sweetened the deal by not scheduling our first payment until the end of September. Thankfully we have another vehicle so we are not hurting for a new car but the Explorer we purchased is now just sitting on the lot and my family and I have to keep getting a run around on when we can take the vehicle home. We already feel pretty dumb so id rather not get hazed on here for that lol. I just hope the issue gets fixed soon (fingers crossed).
We were in the same boat., We grabbed up a great deal on a 23 ST ($6,500 below MSRP). The dealer would not hold it with a refundable deposit so we locked it in by buying(financing at 0% with Ford) it, At the time they said it would be 1-3 weeks before we could pick it up. After 3 weeks and latest from Ford, we asked them to unwind the deal. At first they said it was too late but eventually got it done for us. Sad to lose out on a good deal but we can't be a one car family any longer. Good luck with your Explorer.

JSal1105

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Placed an order for a 2023 ST in Feb, went into production in May. Dealer called me up said it's coming on 5/29. My husband and I sold our cars to be ready for ST, only to find out the car has been produced but it's been "pulled back" because of the 360 cam recall and "it shouldn't be long". Weeks went by and no update until i made a big stink and they tell me it's now supposed to ship btwn 7/14-7/20. This is wild! Today is 7/18 and there has been ZERO movement, not that i'm even banking on this date anymore. I saw the 8/7 date for the interim fix, but what will that even mean for cars sitting in storage in Chicago? Will they ship them to the dealers and let the dealers service do the updates? Or will they hold the cars and do the update at the assembly plant and THEN ship them? TBH I am very turned off by Ford as a whole right now, the communication btwn Ford and dealerships is terrible. So frustrating for a feature that most of us would remove if we could. At this point we're looking into alternative options/brands.

Last edited: