Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

For those with zfg 93 tune

Reactions
Either an MVPI 2 or and RTD... if you dont plan on tuning yourself I'd just get the RTD. MVPI 2 gives you full access to the VCM Suite and allows you to read/write your own files. RTD is the more user friendly watered down version. Good price difference as well.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I see them as the same price. I have used the older version of MPVI and really liked it. I opted for the MPVI2+ instead of the RTD. Same price, more functionality.

Reactions
Just got my used RTD from ebay ($90), can't wait until I win the Redneck Lotto next month to get the tune!

Reactions
expecting mine anytime now, question after you guys got your FIRST sent tune, what kind of revision did you request? I cant imagine anything other than shift rpm or firmness ?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't have my Explorer yet but I have done quite a few remote tunes. You would be surprised how much they can improve the tune after logging sessions. On my other cars, fueling and timing and shifting were big changes. I would never purchase a tune from somebody that DIDN'T do remote logging. Every engine and trans is a little different. Dyno tuning is the best IMO but good luck finding a local guy with a dyno and ecoboost experience.

Reactions
It seems that ZFG charges $400 for the tune and ~$499 for the RTD+? other sites have just the RTD+ for $299? Anything stopping you from order the device elsewhere and going to ZFG just for the tune?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
expecting mine anytime now, question after you guys got your FIRST sent tune, what kind of revision did you request? I cant imagine anything other than shift rpm or firmness ?
Your question is addressed in the first page of this thread….

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It seems that ZFG charges $400 for the tune and ~$499 for the RTD+? other sites have just the RTD+ for $299? Anything stopping you from order the device elsewhere and going to ZFG just for the tune?
No but you still need to purchase 4 credits.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No, there’s nothing to stop you.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
RTD+ is $299. credits is $200 for your VIN. That‘s probably where you get $499. After that you can get tunes from anyone for whatever they charge.

Reactions
No but you still need to purchase 4 credits.
Okay and that's the $400 that ZFG charges if you select "I already have a tuner" right? Seems weird that they charge almost $200 more just for the device no?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's actually pretty reasonable for what you get. The can't tune without HPTuners or some other device.

If you think about it, HPTuners or others need to break the code so to speak to interface with the computer so they can tune. And they have to constantly do this as new vehicles come out with new security built into the computers.

Reactions
Okay and that's the $400 that ZFG charges if you select "I already have a tuner" right? Seems weird that they charge almost $200 more just for the device no?
He's not charging extra for the device, its $299 plus $200 for the 4 credits which are $50 each to license your vin. Thats how HP Tuners works. You can buy your RTD from anyone but you'll still need to put 4 credits on it which no matter where you buy it will run you $200. ZFG doesnt see any of that money, HP Tuners does. The $400 your paying for the tuning service is how he's making his money.

Reactions
He'll send you the first file, and an email basically saying, hey go out and do a pull from xRPM to xRPM and data log it, send me the log back. If you notice anything weird tell him about it in your next service request when you send the data. Once he reads the data, he'll write a revison, send it back to you with new instructions, and so on and so on. Its a pretty straight forward and easy process. We had mine locked down with only 1 revision. He's got these things pretty well figured out.

Reactions
He's not charging extra for the device, its $299 plus $200 for the 4 credits which are $50 each to license your vin. Thats how HP Tuners works. You can buy your RTD from anyone but you'll still need to put 4 credits on it which no matter where you buy it will run you $200. ZFG doesnt see any of that money, HP Tuners does. The $400 your paying for the tuning service is how he's making his money.
Ah okay I assumed the $400 for the tuning included credits for the tunes, makes sense now thanks!

Reactions
Mines done, and damn what a change. Moves out now like a lightning bolt. Very impressed. Money well spent

Reactions
be prepared to watch your gas mileage drop lol... and not because of the tune but the fact you wont be able to keep your foot out of it. I swear I can't top flooring it. I think intercooler and e50 are next haha

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All this temptation lol crazy to think how much ford left out based on everyone’s such positive feedback over stock.

Reactions
oh they did for sure just night and day its a very nice increase. Reminds me of going from stock to a 6lb lower on my 04 Lightning.....

Reactions
Can someone provide Adam/ZFG contact info please, tks.