Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

For those with zfg 93 tune

Reactions
What are some recommended things to tell Adam to tweak with the tune? I know it’s mainly preference but just wanted to get some ideas. Current mods Whipple intercooler , k&n air filter , turbo smart bov plumback , spd downpipes, full thermal exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You just list your mods when you order the tune on his web site. He will take it from there as far as the power tuning. You may want him to turn off the Auto Stop-Start function as well. I asked for the same specific throttle translation in all drive modes, so he did that for me. I hate the “boosted” throttle opening in Sport, etc.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not just with ZFG but with any tune... yeah, turn off Auto stop-start. Ask for show gear always, instead of just "D". Trans may have hard shifts after any flash. Best to let trans learn after a couple days of driving before you evaluate the shifting. Also, as you probably know, our cars don't shift great until warmed up.

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Ah ok thank you guys. Got my first revision yesterday. But couldn’t do any data log due to the rain. He definitely gave me show gears in all modes, but I will request auto start off once I data log.

Reactions
just ordered mine today waiting on the HP tuner to arrive

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
just ordered mine today waiting on the HP tuner to arrive
You’ll definitely love it! Adam did his thing! Got me already considering more mods like the afe intake. Not ready to do bigger turbos as yet though.

Reactions
You just list your mods when you order the tune on his web site. He will take it from there as far as the power tuning. You may want him to turn off the Auto Stop-Start function as well. I asked for the same specific throttle translation in all drive modes, so he did that for me. I hate the “boosted” throttle opening in Sport, etc.
"boosted throttle opening in sport" ... clarify what you mean by that because i feel like i know... and i hate it as well so when I eventually get the ZFG tune i'll mention this.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
In Sport mode the ratio of pedal-to-actual throttle plate is increased so 1/4 pedal gets you 3/4 throttle so it “feels” faster, but there’s nothing more past about 1/3 pedal. ZFG(Adam) can set each mode to linear or even slightly lagging like in Slippery mode output if you ask.

Reactions
Interesting.. so when in sport mode.. if I go full pedal to the floor.. it's essentially the same as going 1/2 pedal?

Reactions
Interesting.. so when in sport mode.. if I go full pedal to the floor.. it's essentially the same as going 1/2 pedal?
In other words, if you're giving more than 1/2 throttle on normal mode all the time, its practically sport mode without the holding of the gear.

Sport mode 1/4 throttle or more = Normal mode on 1/2 or more throttle

Any mode will be 100% putting the pedal to the floor.

Reactions
shipping says my Hp tuner device will arrive tomorrow ( tuesday ) im not very familar with the process what do I do once it arrives? I havent been able to talk with adam as of yet .

Reactions
Correction getting it today ups updated tracking

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
shipping says my Hp tuner device will arrive tomorrow ( tuesday ) im not very familar with the process what do I do once it arrives? I havent been able to talk with adam as of yet .
Download the TDN device on your mobile device. U can sit in the house and do the registration and pairing process. Over WiFi and download the necessary firmware updates , etc. then when u are ready go to your car and I believe the first file is pulling the stock tune so the car is not started just in the ignition on position and u let it do it’s thing. The gauge will flash or go dark possibly but that’s normal all the on screen instructions will be right on your phone

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I’m actually going to dyno my car next week to see what she’s running.

Reactions
so for clarity you guys are NOT asking for any changes in the format of the transmission, firmness or anything?? I read somewhere that the explorer skips gears? is that true?

Reactions
so for clarity you guys are NOT asking for any changes in the format of the transmission, firmness or anything?? I read somewhere that the explorer skips gears? is that true?
My 2020 will typically only skip 1 gear and it's usually 4th OR 5th. On cold mornings going down the driveway it'll occasionally skip 2nd

Reactions
Adam does that automatically on his tunes, modifies the transmission shifts points and downshifts/upshifts for a faster better experience

On stock tunes, yes, the SUV usually skips a gear for "MPG" reasons

Reactions
Ahhh ok thanks for the reply

Reactions
Im still learning about the idea of tuning. My question is, when you get a tune can you do all the following: 1st - make the Sport Mode the default mode, 2nd - modify sport for most HP while at the same time, back down economy mode to Damn near turn it into a 4 cyl, 3rd - turn off the in-cab simulated engine noise?

Reactions
Im still learning about the idea of tuning. My question is, when you get a tune can you do all the following: 1st - make the Sport Mode the default mode, 2nd - modify sport for most HP while at the same time, back down economy mode to Damn near turn it into a 4 cyl, 3rd - turn off the in-cab simulated engine noise?
No, no, and no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro