Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Adapt-X Tune (OEM Octane Learning and drivability)

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's pretty common for a tune to increase MPG because they usually advance the timing across the board.

More timing = more HP, which means you can use less fuel to keep the vehicle moving at part throttle.

The downside? It increases emissions, which is probably one of the main reasons the factory doesn't do it.
I'm sorry to have to correct you on this point, but increasing timing does NOT increase emissions- it decreases them by not only achieving better fuel burn, but my generating more power resulting in needing less fuel. A win-win..

Anecdotal observations of people who've had the tune for a "few days...seeing several more MPGs as well." Are absolutely unconvincing to me. In fact, they sound like shills. Especially since after being tuned I would expect you would be leaning on it more than usual- especially in the first few days.

The only way to increase mileage by this much (especially in mixed case driving) would be if you had been running bad low-octane gas such that the correction maps were dialing back timing significantly. Now, you put a tune on it, zero out the maps, add a good tank of higher octane fuel. Maybe. And only because the fuel mileage was being negatively impacted prior.

Reactions
I'm sorry to have to correct you on this point, but increasing timing does NOT increase emissions- it decreases them by not only achieving better fuel burn, but my generating more power resulting in needing less fuel. A win-win..
"However, the indicated specific hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions increased with advanced spark timing and increased DI ratio "
- https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2017-01-2230/

"The retard of spark timing aids post-combustion, therefore increasing exhaust temperature and the after burn of unburned HC "
"CO emissions increase with increasing spark timing at 50% load condition "
"NOx emissions sharply increase with advance of spark timing, mainly due to increasing in-cylinder temperature "
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7581277/

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I shouldn't have stated "increasing timing does NOT increase emissions." I was thinking about THC emissions representing unburnt fuel which would affect mileage. But you're right, the timing does play a role in the type of emissions (COx or NOx or HC) as well as a ton of other factors.

The first paper deals with a dual injected (port and DI) 250cc ETHANOL engine and is more concerned with the affects of DI vs PI- hardly an apples to apples comparison, no mention is made of EGR being present. The second paper concerns a nat gas engine and the affects of egr, timing, etc on emissions.

Neither of these prove Ford is running less timing than would be optimal for fuel mileage.

So let me put it another way, the vendor's statement is that he has utilized specific ECU tables to "optimize" the spark map as it pertains to stock driveability allowing the user maximum flexibility in fuel octane while increasing WOT performance. This may include influencing how quickly the spark timing tables (base or correction) are updated when running under various fuels (knock counts). Whether he adds a bit more timing once MBT has been obtained, or is targeting lean lambda numbers hasn't been discussed, so there is absolutely nothing that I have read that would give me the impression that this tune would have any appreciable impact on MPG over the Ford base tune. The vendor himself has stated that he has no data on this and has not attempted to put out any information that would suggest his tune affected MPG other than:

"This is 3 explorer st customers now where I've heard getting improved MPG after flashing our Adapt-X.
I don't want to make any official tune claims on MPG because I don't want to have to support that data, but this is still very good news!
"

That sounds like puffery to me.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I merely am sharing my experience. To insinuate I am a shill, frankly pisses me off to the point where I have reported you to admins. I don't care if anyone buys this tune or not. It's my car, I like it, that's what matters.
I'm sorry you didn't like my categorization. But, you received the tune on Monday and installed it after work, according to you. Three days later (Thursday pm) you claimed "several more MPGs". Besides "shill", is there another adjective you'd like me to use?

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #45
I shouldn't have stated "increasing timing does NOT increase emissions." I was thinking about THC emissions representing unburnt fuel which would affect mileage. But you're right, the timing does play a role in the type of emissions (COx or NOx or HC) as well as a ton of other factors.

The first paper deals with a dual injected (port and DI) 250cc ETHANOL engine and is more concerned with the affects of DI vs PI- hardly an apples to apples comparison, no mention is made of EGR being present. The second paper concerns a nat gas engine and the affects of egr, timing, etc on emissions.

Neither of these prove Ford is running less timing than would be optimal for fuel mileage.

So let me put it another way, the vendor's statement is that he has utilized specific ECU tables to "optimize" the spark map as it pertains to stock driveability allowing the user maximum flexibility in fuel octane while increasing WOT performance. This may include influencing how quickly the spark timing tables (base or correction) are updated when running under various fuels (knock counts). Whether he adds a bit more timing once MBT has been obtained, or is targeting lean lambda numbers hasn't been discussed, so there is absolutely nothing that I have read that would give me the impression that this tune would have any appreciable impact on MPG over the Ford base tune. The vendor himself has stated that he has no data on this and has not attempted to put out any information that would suggest his tune affected MPG other than:

"This is 3 explorer st customers now where I've heard getting improved MPG after flashing our Adapt-X.
I don't want to make any official tune claims on MPG because I don't want to have to support that data, but this is still very good news!
"

That sounds like puffery to me.
stoichmetric on the OEM calibration is 14.08, we leave that OEM and would never change that to be leaner, just richer for ethanol blends where the stoich is lower (11.82) for e50, would you believe me if I told you we actually leave the factory ignition tables stock except for the highest load cells and scale them out for higher engine loads (reduced base ignition for higher loads)

Would you also believe me if I told you we target a slightly richer fuel curve than OEM at wot to accompany the increase load?

Yes we do these things I just mentioned. If you are curious to how ford's knock based octane learning works (it's pretty complex) you can buy an SCT racer kit and work with your own explorer and give it a shot.

TLDR Adapt-X has been out since 2020 for the focus st and we use the same strategy across all ecoboost platforms.

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm sorry you didn't like my categorization. But, you received the tune on Monday and installed it after work, according to you. Three days later (Thursday pm) you claimed "several more MPGs". Besides "shill", is there another adjective you'd like me to use?
"Satisified customer" perhaps? I use to drive 40miles one way to work every day, 3 days would be plenty to compare MPG. You don't know the guy, yet you're willing to ASSume he's a shill because his ACTUAL experience goes against what you think.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
And to put us further back on track, based on what I can see its the type of tune that matches what I am looking for. Feedback on the Focus ST and Mustang Ecoboost forums seems really positive. I am tired of waiting on Ford Performance. The MonsterTuned support team has been really responsive via email. So I pulled the trigger and ordered. Now I sit by the mailbox and wait, as I needed the tuner too.

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #48
And to put us further back on track, based on what I can see its the type of tune that matches what I am looking for. Feedback on the Focus ST and Mustang Ecoboost forums seems really positive. I am tired of waiting on Ford Performance. The MonsterTuned support team has been really responsive via email. So I pulled the trigger and ordered. Now I sit by the mailbox and wait, as I needed the tuner too.
Greatly appreciate your support sir! I agree let's get this train back on the tracks. I'm here to help offer a reliable and safe tuning solution and great customer service.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So are those folks who ordered a tune from Monster still liking it and have any updates?

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #50
@RapidRedST any feedback so far?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Unfortunately, I have not been able to put as many miles on with the tune as I would like. It arrived shortly before I did some traveling. I am hopeful to have some more miles on it soon.

Initial reactions, I like it. It is still a manageable daily driver without feeling overly aggressive (important as my wife also drives the vehicle), but under WOT there is a definite improvement that seems linear in delivery. One item to note, NGK95605 plugs are recommended with the tune. Although they have advised it will run on stock plugs. I had a hard time locating anyone with those in stock so I do have some Brisk from Whoosh to install yet as well.

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #52
Anyone got any questions or additional feedback?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Still really liking the tune and no issues to report. starting to adjust Octane and fuel to see how it plays into the adaptive part, but really like that it will learn what we are running so we dont have to tweak the tune.

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #54
I have the "monster10" code taking 10% off device and tune bundles right now to try to get more Adapt-X tunes in circulation for the Explorer ST.

Really want to get these tunes out to more people so they can see how great they are and get more feedback.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Bumping this thread cuz this is interesting and I’m glad ppl/companies are giving us more options for this platform.

smokey

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
does your tune also recalibrate trans as well?

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #57
does your tune also recalibrate trans as well?
The only change to the trans is additional clutch pressure to prevent transmission slip and failure.

Reactions
Following

OP
monstertuned

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #59

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
So at 87oct this tune will basically be identical to the stock tune performance wise? Is there anything different when using 87?