Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

"EXPLORER" lettering on hood

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
97D17E36-C054-4002-9B0E-2A2D627B1C40.jpeg

Reactions
As clean as it looks without the lettering has anyone changed the color of them? Been tossing the idea of making them red but not for sure yet...

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I'm plan on removing my hood lettering as soon as the weather breaks and the snow goes away. Thanks for all the advice. I agree it looks so much better with that lettering removed.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just removed my EXPLORER lettering off the hood. Looks so much better and clean looking. Used fishing line and the 3M disc and really worked well. Took less than an hour.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I took mine off today in preparation for a hood protector (not a bug deflector). Used dental floss to remove the letters, a plastic trim tool to remove the excess double stick material and finally Goo Gone and an old microfiber towel to remove the last of the sticky stuff. Finished up with Maguire's cleaner wax for protection until AMAZON delivers the Hood Protector next week.
Start to finish 30 minutes +/- a minute or two...

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I took mine off today in preparation for a hood protector (not a bug deflector). Used dental floss to remove the letters, a plastic trim tool to remove the excess double stick material and finally Goo Gone and an old microfiber towel to remove the last of the sticky stuff. Finished up with Maguire's cleaner wax for protection until AMAZON delivers the Hood Protector next week.
Start to finish 30 minutes +/- a minute or two...
Just removed my letters too. Pretty easy with the right tools. Which hood protector did you get from Amazon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions

F=MA

Reactions
To me the more gloss black highlights I can get on a Rapid Red ST the better. Letters will stay as will the roof rails. Red and black goes so well together. If I was living in North Dakota I would have to rethink that due to the volume of grasshoppers that would be pasted across the front of the ST. I mostly city drive and can stick to the sidestreets and freeway through the center of town versus the perimeter bypasses adjacent to farm fields where the bugs (and deer) hang out.

Last edited:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm one that's leaving them on. The only peeve I have with them is there edges are too sharp. Catches the towel as you clean them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Flex
Maybe when my explorer ST is finally built, they will have an emblem shortage and just leave them off! so I won't have to remove them ! :)

Reactions
I pulled them before getting full PPF on the hood. Looks so much cleaner without them, that they stayed off. Removed with a little heat and 3M adhesive remover to get off any residue. I then prepped the with M101 (where needed), M205 for the PPF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It's funny, most ST owners want the letters gone, and XLT and limited owners wish they had them. I personally like them so mine are staying.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know the poster stating the edges are sharp was from last year but I fixed mine by sliding some painters tape under the corners and using a nail file to round out the edges. I can now wipe down the front of the vehicle with no issues except occasionally the "X".

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
always used braided fishing line to remove decals, wont burn and wont break and cuts like a damn knife. 3m adhesive remover to remove whats left

wheel is faster is you have one but the 3m adhersive romover works well too

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's funny, most ST owners want the letters gone, and XLT and limited owners wish they had them. I personally like them so mine are staying.
I prefer them gone, but if they were nice like my wife's Range Rover, than I wouldn't have been so quick to remove them. No sharp edges, thicker font, and they are almost right against the hood. Not like these goofy Explorer ones, with thick adhesive like a cheap Ebay badge and sharp edges to make washing a pain!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'd just like to get the letter "D" to replace the first "R" in Explorer. :cool: