Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust

Breedog03

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
After reading some on the topic, it is my understanding that upgrading the stock exhaust really adds nothing to the vehicle. Is that the general consensus? The only thing it adds is a different sound is what I’m reading.
I thought about adding exhaust because my assumption was that it would add to mpg and h/p. If that is wrong, I will spend my $ elsewhere.
I have a tune and intercooler, what other upgrades can improve the h/p or mpg?

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
After reading some on the topic, it is my understanding that upgrading the stock exhaust really adds nothing to the vehicle. Is that the general consensus? The only thing it adds is a different sound is what I’m reading.
I thought about adding exhaust because my assumption was that it would add to mpg and h/p. If that is wrong, I will spend my $ elsewhere.
I have a tune and intercooler, what other upgrades can improve the h/p or mpg?
Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go and what level of tune you plan on putting in. There are some enhancements to the items you plan on adding like a CAI, colder plugs, and downpipes. Not sure if any of this will add HP. Again, this is based on the tune you plan on going with.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
High flow catted downpipes will get you 20ish HP at the tires. The cat-back just adds the sound most people want. SPD, FenFab, CV Fab and Whoosh Mororsports all make good DP’s. For the money you can’t beat the quality and sound of Thermal R&D for a cat-back.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It adds sound, but more importantly gets rid of those ugly fake exhaust tips. I could not stand looking at those anymore. The Thermal 2.5" sounds amazing and the quad stainless steel tips look the part.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It adds sound, but more importantly gets rid of those ugly fake exhaust tips. I could not stand looking at those anymore. The Thermal 2.5" sounds amazing and the quad stainless steel tips look the part.
Agree. I originally went polished but then I had them powdered gloss black. The sound is a great compromise. Not the in your face of my youth. Little rumble and moderate sound unless you get on it.

Also a thumbs up for SPD catted downpipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Breedog03

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
High flow catted downpipes will get you 20ish HP at the tires. The cat-back just adds the sound most people want. SPD, FenFab, CV Fab and Whoosh Mororsports all make good DP’s. For the money you can’t beat the quality and sound of Thermal R&D for a cat-back.
Thanks for the input. I’m sure the down pipe install costs a pretty penny. I will definitely look into it. As far as the exhaust goes, the thermal r&d “3 exhaust with black tips look clean, but $1800 isn’t cheap.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the input. I’m sure the down pipe install costs a pretty penny. I will definitely look into it. As far as the exhaust goes, the thermal r&d “3 exhaust with black tips look clean, but $1800 isn’t cheap.
No exhausts for these is cheap. You have to look at what all you get also. Some like Thermal include the mid pipes with new flex section while some like Borla do not and retain the oem flex sections which in all likelihood will fail at some point.

Reactions
I just put on the thermal 3” last week. It’s an easy install. Sounds fantastic. You will not be disappointed. I got them from whoosh for $1680 with free delivery.

OP
B

Breedog03

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I just put on the thermal 3” last week. It’s an easy install. Sounds fantastic. You will not be disappointed. I got them from whoosh for $1680 with free delivery.
Did you install yourself?

MIB

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have a 2023 and the thermal 3" is what I am looking at but I don't know what else is needed? (new to this) What all did you have to purchase for your set-up? Thx.

Reactions
I have a 2023 and the thermal 3" is what I am looking at but I don't know what else is needed? (new to this) What all did you have to purchase for your set-up? Thx.
Nothing. It comes with everything you need.

MIB

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

LuxST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What’s the difference between thermals 2.5” and 3” besides the obvious? Benefits and cons between the two.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
What’s the difference between thermals 2.5” and 3” besides the obvious? Benefits and cons between the two.
I believe the 3" gives a deeper rumble and is a bit louder. I have the SPD downpipes with the 2.5" which sound amazing, but I like the deeper rumble of the 3" and will likely be swapping them in the somewhat near future. All in all, it's likely a personal preference.