Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ebay splash guard review

Reactions
No metal was harmed in my install as I'm not sure there is any metal to be drilled. I drilled both holes through the plastic using the screw retainer clips to secure them well.
Same here, being all plastic that was drilled I wasn't concerned at all about it. Worst case the screw could rust and need to be replaced, but being in Arizona and salt exposure being very limited it wasn't even a thought that went through my mind.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
How have the splash guards held up? I live on a long, steep mountain road that is not paved and my plastics are taking a beating. Thinking about buying these.

Reactions
How have the splash guards held up? I live on a long, steep mountain road that is not paved and my plastics are taking a beating. Thinking about buying these.
So mine have held up fine, although they don't go through hell where I live. I mean at least they were in good shape when I took my vehicle in to the dealer almost 6 weeks ago, and last saw it.

Reactions
For those hoping they will reduce the amount of dirt on the rear window don't get to excited. We have been in the mountain this week and they haven't done anything to prevent the rear window from getting dirty. Our 2010 edge did a good job keepong the rear window clean the Explorer aero on the other hand.....

Our config is lowered with spacers so we have higher air pressure in the wheels wells and I can see the water shooting out of the rear of the tires which might be getting sucked up towards the rear window same goes for the air coming off the spoiler.

I think the larger issue is the low pressure area under the spoiler anything that gets close will get stuck to the glass. I am wondering if a Gurney flap on the spoiler will help push air away from the window, ideally we need a large high pressure area around the glass. Driving by on coming traffic with a clean window and going through their spray the window gets covered immediately.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For those hoping they will reduce the amount of dirt on the rear window don't get to excited. We have been in the mountain this week and they haven't done anything to prevent the rear window from getting dirty. Our 2010 edge did a good job keepong the rear window clean the Explorer aero on the other hand.....

Our config is lowered with spacers so we have higher air pressure in the wheels wells and I can see the water shooting out of the rear of the tires which might be getting sucked up towards the rear window same goes for the air coming off the spoiler.

I think the larger issue is the low pressure area under the spoiler anything that gets close will get stuck to the glass. I am wondering if a Gurney flap on the spoiler will help push air away from the window, ideally we need a large high pressure area around the glass. Driving by on coming traffic with a clean window and going through their spray the window gets covered immediately.
I have noticed this on my 22 in just a couple weeks. Did a full ceramic coating when I got her and the rear ALWAYS has a covering of dust and dirt on it. Even if I do a fresh detail and drive for ten minutes the car is still spotless except for the rear. I'd be interested in any solutions.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's about aerodynamics. To make it simple, the rear of the vehicle is a low pressure zone. All air passing over the sides and top are going to slow down at that transition and start to swirl- depositing whatever dust is tagging along on the back panels. You'd need some aero help in some form of a rooftop and/or undercarriage diffuser. In short, it's unavoidable.

Reactions
It's about aerodynamics. To make it simple, the rear of the vehicle is a low pressure zone. All air passing over the sides and top are going to slow down at that transition and start to swirl- depositing whatever dust is tagging along on the back panels. You'd need some aero help in some form of a rooftop and/or undercarriage diffuser. In short, it's unavoidable.

My main point was addressing the posts where people claimed it eliminated the dust build up on the window when in fact the guards will do no such thing.

Do it....
1647566951729.png

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're certainly right that you'd need a higher pressure area to deal with dirt problems, but when you post "people claimed it eliminated the dust build up". I'm not sure what you meant by "it". The problem with the ST (and most other SUVs) is the sharp transition of 70-90 degrees from the side panels and roof line to the rear hatch area. There's just no good way to deal with it. That area is going to be a dirt magnet.

Reactions
Sorry the "it" I was talking about were the mud flaps, like I said in my original post Ford did a good job with the gen 1 Edge aero the rear window didn't get near as dirty near as fast as the window on the Explorer.

Now that we have a widebody kit I I wonder if they would entertain a diffuser :unsure: Then again those are tricky and they stand a very good chance making things worse if they got it wrong.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks, missed that in reading the posts. Sadly, I just can imagine anything that would help unless you added bodywork that somehow extended the rear transition by a couple of feet or more! Thank goodness for a rear wiper/washer.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's somewhat gratifying to see that those transitions in the exhaust and aero disproves that all Asians are better at math. And a bit terrifying.... :oops:

Explorer ST Posts