Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ebay splash guard review

Reactions
I purchased https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear...-/124304348169?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286 off EBay for $32.50.
The splash guards look good, plastic is flexible and seem to be good quality. I have nothing to compare them to so I don't know how similar they are to factory Ford splash guards.
The rear guard install was straight forward, remove the 4 7mm bolts that match the holes in the guard and put them back in. The bolt furthest in the wheel well is tight to get to with a 1/4" drive ratchet and standard length socket. I used a deep socket on the other 3 bolts so the ratchet would clear the fender and guard.
20210411_131901.jpg

The front guard was a little more involved as there is only one hole in the guard for a 10mm bolt under the fender. The upper part of the guard is meant to be held on by clips but the clips are to big. I squashed the clips to hold tight but the upper part of the guard would slip out. Also included in the kit are 4 metal screw retainer clip thingys and a bunch of Phillips screws. I drilled 2 holes in each front guard and used 2 clips and 2 screw to secure them better. I also slipped on one squashed clip per side just because.
20210411_131920_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
I just installed the same ones today and agree that the rear were easy and straight forward to install. The front I did the same as you except ended up using 3 of the screws per side and they are on solid. I'm not sure about for you, but there were no instructions with mine so doing the front was a "fingers crossed this is right" moment for me. We'll see how they hold up over time, but for $31 (I offered 30 and they countered with 31 haha) it was worth giving them a try.
20210411_125120.jpg 20210411_125132.jpg

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Great job on the install and thanks for sharing the review. I think it looks really nice

Blackssr

Reactions
Are these the units I recommended in a previous thread?

Blackssr

Reactions
I purchased https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear...-/124304348169?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286 off EBay for $32.50.
The splash guards look good, plastic is flexible and seem to be good quality. I have nothing to compare them to so I don't know how similar they are to factory Ford splash guards.
The rear guard install was straight forward, remove the 4 7mm bolts that match the holes in the guard and put them back in. The bolt furthest in the wheel well is tight to get to with a 1/4" drive ratchet and standard length socket. I used a deep socket on the other 3 bolts so the ratchet would clear the fender and guard.
View attachment 5230

The front guard was a little more involved as there is only one hole in the guard for a 10mm bolt under the fender. The upper part of the guard is meant to be held on by clips but the clips are to big. I squashed the clips to hold tight but the upper part of the guard would slip out. Also included in the kit are 4 metal screw retainer clip thingys and a bunch of Phillips screws. I drilled 2 holes in each front guard and used 2 clips and 2 screw to secure them better. I also spilled on one squashed clip per side just because.
View attachment 5231
My OCD noticed the backside of your wheels are dirty.. LOL.
This cleaner is the real deal. Spray on a wet cool wheel. Wait 2-3 minutes and let magic happen. No scrubbing just hose off and stand back and smile. I have been using for years on my Hellcats. The Brembo brake dust is legendary. This handles that issue with aplomb. Just remember to run soapy water through application spray bottle after each use because it will eat the innards of the trigger if left overnight. It is an acid based cleaner.
Amazon.com: Poorboys World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 1 Gallon: Automotive

Last edited:
OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
My OCD noticed the backside of your wheels are dirty.. LOL.
This cleaner is the real deal. Spray on a wet cool wheel. Wait 2-3 minutes and let magic happen. No scrubbing just hose off and stand back and smile. I have been using for years on my Hellcats. The Brembo brake dust is legendary. This handles that issue with aplomb.
Amazon.com: Poorboys World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 1 Gallon: Automotive
Thanks for the link. Tires are dirty because we just washed the car in the bark chips next to the carport then moved the car under the carport so I could roll my stool around. Our drive is a gravel alley so the tires are always dirty. I need a truck load of gravel this year to top dress the drive and fight off the dirt.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
It's a good thing I didn't get the pickup in the pic, it would give you heart failure but I'm headed out Turkey hunting Thursday and it's going to be wet so you can bet the somewhat Red Ram will be road slim brown by the time it's home.

Reactions
The front guard was a little more involved as there is only one hole in the guard for a 10mm bolt under the fender. The upper part of the guard is meant to be held on by clips but the clips are to big. I squashed the clips to hold tight but the upper part of the guard would slip out. Also included in the kit are 4 metal screw retainer clip thingys and a bunch of Phillips screws. I drilled 2 holes in each front guard and used 2 clips and 2 screw to secure them better. I also slipped on one squashed clip per side just because.
I did pretty much the same, except I didn't use the included clips. On my front guards I drilled a couple of holes and used the included screws &retainer clips.

Reactions
Awesome. You rec'd so quick. Mine took 2 weeks from china.
I remember you saying it took that long too and mine got to me in a couple days (although I was out of town when they arrived). I ordered the same ones you put the link to

Blackssr

Reactions
It's a good thing I didn't get the pickup in the pic, it would give you heart failure but I'm headed out Turkey hunting Thursday and it's going to be wet so you can bet the somewhat Red Ram will be road slim brown by the time it's home.
I just bought a turkey at Publix and my 85 year old mom made me a Easter dinner cuz I was out of town and she promised me her awesome cooking. When I was in Boca we celebrated Easter this passed weekend. That's the extent of my turkey hunt.. hahaha

Blackssr

Reactions
I remember you saying it took that long too and mine got to me in a couple days (although I was out of town when they arrived). I ordered the same ones you put the link to
I just checked yours came out of New Jersey they must have found a friend and shipped a whole bunch of them to the states ahead of time. Mine came out of China. Same company.
Better for everybody. Why pay 100 bucks when you can pay $34 or whatever we paid and put the money towards something else. I don't keep my cars long as I put so much mileage on them. I always look for the best deal and pass it along on all the forums I'm a member on

Reactions
I just checked yours came out of New Jersey they must have found a friend and shipped a whole bunch of them to the states ahead of time. Mine came out of China. Same company.
Better for everybody. Why pay 100 bucks when you can pay $34 or whatever we paid and put the money towards something else. I don't keep my cars long as I put so much mileage on them. I always look for the best deal and pass it along on all the forums I'm a member on
Mine actually shipped from SoCal, so they might have some on the East and West coasts now. I agree though, on things like this that seem to be made the same but cheaper, may as well save some $$ and put it towards something else.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I'm all about purchasing made in USA but not at 3 times the price plus I'm not sure were Ford gets there splash guards. I looked at Weather Tech but thought $80 was a little much for what they are plus I just gave Weather Tech $350 for a full set of floor liners.
The markings and codes on the EBay guards reminded me of what is written on factory parts, for all I know these and Ford's are the same.

Reactions
I'm all about purchasing made in USA but not at 3 times the price plus I'm not sure were Ford gets there splash guards. I looked at Weather Tech but thought $80 was a little much for what they are plus I just gave Weather Tech $350 for a full set of floor liners.
The markings and codes on the EBay guards reminded me of what is written on factory parts, for all I know these and Ford's are the same.
I purchased the WeatherTech ones along with a bunch of other products of theirs. I would definitely recommend them. They're extremely durable and can't imagine they'd ever break at all unless you're down in something deep and hit them off some ice. They compliment the body style very well.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Just viewing the pictures and having installed the Ford ones on my car. I think you could buy the eBay ones and get the Ford clips and everything would be okie-dokie per Ford install instructions. I have an aversion to drilling holes into fender lips, yeah I’ve done it several times. I mean no offense in saying this but it’s simply an invitation for rust in those new holes with exposure to road salt and what not. The mud flaps look very similar to what I installed in Ford’s product.

Taz

Reactions
I just put the Ford OEM splash guards on the weekend. Super easy and the parts are made in Germany.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Just viewing the pictures and having installed the Ford ones on my car. I think you could buy the eBay ones and get the Ford clips and everything would be okie-dokie per Ford install instructions. I have an aversion to drilling holes into fender lips, yeah I’ve done it several times. I mean no offense in saying this but it’s simply an invitation for rust in those new holes with exposure to road salt and what not. The mud flaps look very similar to what I installed in Ford’s product.
No metal was harmed in my install as I'm not sure there is any metal to be drilled. I drilled both holes through the plastic using the screw retainer clips to secure them well.