Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

E85 needs?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So i don't think our cars are factory flex fuels. why? What is needed to make them E85? I tried searching the forum but kept getting errors. I see ZFG offers a E50 tune, why not the full E85 so we dont have to convert, blend, test, measure fuel to hit E50. I remember on other vehicles typically its an injector and pump upgrade, but these are already tubro'd soo i would think thats not needed? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I believe the e50 tune makes more power than the e85 with upgraded pump and injectors. ZFG posted a dyno comparison of e85 vs e50 on pump and injectors I think to take advantage of full e you need upgraded turbos as well. I would be interested in running pump and injectors on full e85 even if it made less power than e50 but more than the 93 to avoid mixing like you said.

OP
F
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I believe the e50 tune makes more power than the e85 with upgraded pump and injectors. ZFG posted a dyno comparison of e85 vs e50 on pump and injectors I think to take advantage of full e you need upgraded turbos as well. I would be interested in running pump and injectors on full e85 even if it made less power than e50 but more than the 93 to avoid mixing like you said.
I'm more interested in the convenience than the power. This is my daily that i drive 80 miles round trip. i want more spirited driving but don't want to play mad scientist. e85 fuel prices are much lower that 93...maybe half of e85. I know you lose mpg with e85 compared to reg gas, but im sure itll level out ha.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Yea you definitely wont save any money trading the mpg for lower prices and twice as many fill ups. If youre not concerned with power why even switch? Could buy a lot of 93 for the cost of the HPFP and injectors.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
So i don't think our cars are factory flex fuels. why? What is needed to make them E85? I tried searching the forum but kept getting errors. I see ZFG offers a E50 tune, why not the full E85 so we dont have to convert, blend, test, measure fuel to hit E50. I remember on other vehicles typically its an injector and pump upgrade, but these are already tubro'd soo i would think thats not needed? Thoughts?

Thank you!
E85 will not be beneficial for your needs over 93 octane. Too expensive to do, with minimal gains. Probably better staying with premium.