Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipes

Reactions
PSA FOR EXHAUST RATTLE

For anyone experiencing exhaust rattle - NHTSA TSB # 10179152.

Ford service (should) take care of it OR for the DIY Guy... A 90mm 3.5" Worm Gear Clamp tightened to 2.7 NM on each Flex Pipe.

(After Market Exhaust & SPD Downpipes exacerbate the rattle and make it completely unbearable)

** Footnote for all Borla Exhaust owners (and potential owners) there are 2 points of contact above each muffler; a bolt and screw that can be baffled by measuring and then (drilling and mitering to cover) an inexpensive exhaust bushing and using a silicone adhesive to mount over the screw and bolt.
(Example)
https://shop.namelessperformance.com/exhaust-hanger-bushings/?sku=NPBU

*Or another fix is to dent the top of the muffler with a hammer so it doesn't hit/rub against the bolts... but whatever you're comfortable with.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing! If anyone has or develops the exhaust rattle we can go into the dealership armed with the TSB. (y)

Are all of your rattles gone now with the SPD downpipes and Borla?

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That's another quick and clean way...

I’ve had the pipes off three times since then too and the bolts are still useable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Thanks for sharing! If anyone has or develops the exhaust rattle we can go into the dealership armed with the TSB. (y)

Are all of your rattles gone now with the SPD downpipes and Borla?
Yes, the Rattle sound is completely gone for me.

The vibration is still there.... but it's more of a powerful grumble. The thing now has a growl along with a snarl with the addition of the IC, Downpipes, ZFG tune and Borla S-Type's.

Pushing 500+HP, I want to feel that grumble in truck. If I wanted quiet along with insane speed I would have went with the Tesla Model S!

Reactions
Yes, the Rattle sound is completely gone for me.

The vibration is still there.... but it's more of a powerful grumble. The thing now has a growl along with a snarl with the addition of the IC, Downpipes, ZFG tune and Borla S-Type's.

Pushing 500+HP, I want to feel that grumble in truck. If I wanted quiet along with insane speed I would have went with the Tesla Model S!

Niceee any videos?

Reactions
Niceee any videos?

@Yungty718 Was just messing around the other day... this is straight 93.

Leaving the gas station at a rest stop on the GSP...blasted it up an on-ramp, didn't take off traction control and had a trunk full kids sports equipment!!

Still have to finish another 4th gear pull for Adam to finish the tune

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qYvkwVTbFHjaLxG66 View attachment 1602550763803_1~2_1.mp4

Reactions

Leaving the gas station at a rest stop on the GSP...blasted it up an on-ramp, didn't take off traction control and had a trunk full kids sports equipment!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qYvkwVTbFHjaLxG66 View attachment 2175

I’m in love !! I can’t wait to get my downpipes on and then get a tune from Adam. Is the dragy app needed to get the tune done?

Reactions
I’m in love !! I can’t wait to get my downpipes on and then get a tune from Adam. Is the dragy app needed to get the tune done?

No, definitely not. For $150... the dragy just provides pretty accurate feedback and it's just for fun. Now I just have confirmation that I blew my launch .....which should be much better than 1.97 seconds on the 60' !

Once you get the tune, you can log a run on your laptop thru VCM Scanner and get very detailed feedback. That's the platform where you log your pulls to send to Adam.

Reactions

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qYvkwVTbFHjaLxG66 View attachment 2175

Sweet! That does sound good. But is most of what we heard in the video the piped-in sound? or did you delete the piped-in sound? I haven't found a good video of the downpipes and the Borla S-Type from the outside to hear the difference with the two together. All of the clips so far are from the inside and most of what we hear is the piped-in sound (especially when the windows are up).

Damn... Wish we could have a local meet. ;)

Trying to resist the urge to mod this car quickly like I've done to others in the past. I'm sure my plans to do wheels, springs, exhaust and downpipes in the spring would be destroyed and I'd order them all the minute I got home from my first ST meet.:giggle:

Reactions
Sweet! That does sound good. But is most of what we heard in the video the piped-in sound? or did you delete the piped-in sound? I haven't found a good video of the downpipes and the Borla S-Type from the outside to hear the difference with the two together. All of the clips so far are from the inside and most of what we hear is the piped-in sound (especially when the windows are up).

Damn... Wish we could have a local meet. ;)

Trying to resist the urge to mod this car quickly like I've done to others in the past. I'm sure my plans to do wheels, springs, exhaust and downpipes in the spring would be destroyed and I'd order them all the minute I got home from my first ST meet.:giggle:
@NYKn1ght Hahahaha no way, that's all engine and exhaust! I can't even hear that phony speaker exhaust anymore over it. This thing screams! Especially on the cold start it's F'ing BeaSTly.

My neighbor is a 75 year old retired iron worker, Corvette guy...and every time he sees me, he tells me how much he loves it when he hears the ST start up when he's in his house! With a huge grin on his face!

It is a night and day difference...from stock man. I put it in Eco mode and barely touch the gas when I'm driving around town or when I pick my kids up from school or drop my kids at their game/practice... because that snarl if you take it over 2500 RPMs, is honestly in-your-face obnoxiously loud. People stare at you like WTF is that thing?!?!

From a standstill accelerating to 60 to dropping the hammer when you're already at 85... This set-up let's you know that there's a stealth, sleeper BeaST wrapped in a custom painted grocery hauler.

There's rarely a time when I'm driving anywhere and I don't feel like the king of the road, able to smoke anything around me...

Reactions
@NYKn1ght Hahahaha no way, that's all engine and exhaust! I can't even hear that phony speaker exhaust anymore over it. This thing screams! Especially on the cold start it's F'ing BeaSTly.

My neighbor is a 75 year old retired iron worker, Corvette guy...and every time he sees me, he tells me how much he loves it when he hears the ST start up when he's in his house! With a huge grin on his face!

It is a night and day difference...from stock man. I put it in Eco mode and barely touch the gas when I'm driving around town or when I pick my kids up from school or drop my kids at their game/practice... because that snarl if you take it over 2500 RPMs, is honestly in-your-face obnoxiously loud. People stare at you like WTF is that thing?!?!

From a standstill accelerating to 60 to dropping the hammer when you're already at 85... This set-up let's you know that there's a stealth, sleeper BeaST wrapped in a custom painted grocery hauler.

There's rarely a time when I'm driving anywhere and I don't feel like the king of the road, able to smoke anything around me...

Ohhh Man If you guys want to do an ny/nj meet up I am definitely down for it! [mention]Nick P [/mention] [mention]NYKn1ght [/mention] !! Also please enlighten us with a cold start when u can nick

Reactions
Ohhh Man If you guys want to do an ny/nj meet up I am definitely down for it! [mention]Nick P [/mention] [mention]NYKn1ght [/mention] !! Also please enlighten us with a cold start when u can nick

I don't know why the dragy video speed slows down when I converted this...but this is with the windows open and Nas spittin that Illmatic (albeit at half speed ). This video and Phone camera mic just doesn't do it justice...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Wiv71WJ3YaHbeM59

Need to use my suction cup mount on my GoPro Hero 8 on the exterior tailgate to really get the sound...

Last edited:
Reactions

:devilish::devilish: You son of a... Dude that was the perfect response!!!! Now you are just torturing me. Loved your entire description. :love:
Your neighbor sounds awesome and his comments are great.

One last question (ok that's probably a lie), do you get cracks, pops and burbles on downshifts? I have them on my other car and it is intoxicating to drive. If I can get them on the ST with all the deep muscle you are describing this would be the perfect combo.

Reactions
:devilish::devilish: You son of a... Dude that was the perfect response!!!! Now you are just torturing me. Loved your entire description. :love:
Your neighbor sounds awesome and his comments are great.

One last question (ok that's probably a lie), do you get cracks, pops and burbles on downshifts? I have them on my other car and it is intoxicating to drive. If I can get them on the ST with all the deep muscle you are describing this would be the perfect combo.
@NYKn1ght Can't believe I forgot to mention that... Yes, ALL OF THE TIME! Was going to say that's one thing that an electronic engine noise sound program does not have the capability of replicating...that extra gas that spits out of the combustion chamber and crackles, gurgles and pops in the downpipes through the exhaust !!

Again also happens both when you're getting on it or just cruising around at 10 - 25 MPH and everywhere in between... Let's you know that this thing doesn't f**k around

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
@NYKn1ght Can't believe I forgot to mention that... Yes, ALL OF THE TIME! Was going to say that's one thing that an electronic engine noise sound program does not have the capability of replicating...that extra gas that spits out of the combustion chamber and crackles, gurgles and pops in the downpipes through the exhaust !!

Again also happens both when you're getting on it or just cruising around at 10 - 25 MPH and everywhere in between... Let's you know that this thing doesn't f**k around

Outside video??

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat

Reactions
Outside video??

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems | UPR Catch Can | SPD T-Stat
Will work on it... have to do a 4th gear pull for Adam and have just been slammed with work and decorations for Halloween. Once Tropical Storm Delta blows out... I'll get to work on it

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Will work on it... have to do a 4th gear pull for Adam and have just been slammed with work and decorations for Halloween. Once Tropical Storm Delta blows out... I'll get to work on it

Sounds like a plan sir.

Reactions

I'm down if I can get around the kids weekend activities. This Sunday work? Back in the day, I would love the Bear Mountain car meets. This is a great time of year for pictures as well with all the fall colors. Plus it would be a nice scenic drive for all of us. Just a thought... :whistle::giggle:

Reactions
I’ll have my downpipes on by then too god willing ! I’m down for Sunday

Reactions

Just picked em up

Reactions
I'm down if I can get around the kids weekend activities. This Sunday work? Back in the day, I would love the Bear Mountain car meets. This is a great time of year for pictures as well with all the fall colors. Plus it would be a nice scenic drive for all of us. Just a thought... :whistle::giggle:
Dude I'm % down...I live off of exit 6W (Rockland Psych Center) on the PIP and am about 30 minutes from Bear Mountain State Park.

Route 6 up through the mountains and 7 Lakes Drive are some of my a favorite scenic cruises with great twists and vistas for a cruise (anytime of year) but particularly fall. You can loop Route 6 (for twists) to 287 South (for Balls Out straights) and back to Perkins Memorial Bridge. We can meet up in that huge grass parking lot of Bear Mountain State Park and Cruise from there.

I do a lot of hiking up in that area, (Storm King Mountain, Anthony's Nose, Bald Mountain) Hudson and Perkins Memorial views... Perfect spot to hear the exhaust echo off the side of those mountain passes...and then her stretch her legs out on 287!!

Time/Date : TBD

Would be a great run... l'll post something up in the FB group as well when we nail down a date. LMK what works for you guys in the coming weeks (hopefully sometime before Thanksgiving... because that'll be here before we blink )